Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Remembering what things you want to image

carldr

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering how you note which targets you want to image. Do you just write them down somewhere, or do you use software?

I see some amazing images that I would like to have a go at, but the best time to image the targets could be some months away, by which time my scraps of paper have disappeared!

C.

I also type them into my iphone. I use Stellarium or Starry Night to figure out what to look at. I jump ahead to the time of night Im going to image, punch in the Messier and NGC catalog, and pick a couple that are in my viewing area. Sadly, I usually pick quite a few and never get through them all:(

I do very similar to Johnny, although in addition, if I see an image of something I like, I use Stellarium to find it, see what time of year it will be accessible (by skipping forward months sometimes) and then put a note in my Outlook task list to remind me to keep a look out for it...... and, like Johnny, the Outlook task list tends to get very cluttered and then I have to roll them forward for a year's time...!

So nothing magic then! I guess I just need to be more organised (Actually, "Become more organised" has been on my to-do list for several years now!)

Thanks for your replies guys.

Probably easier for imagers rather than visual as imagers tend to hit maybe one or two targets a night.

Personally I just have a look at what is visible tonight while setup is cooling down and then target them.

Cheers

Ian

Post It notes of the M / NGC and IC number in the observatory of things that I would like to image. If I get caught on the hop with a good night and no targets, I pick one off the list assuming it is nice and high.

Stellarion definately helps to find them and how close to zenith they are.

I make a note of objects in an excel spreadsheet with their RA & DEC - for example interesting things I see in Sky & Telescope and posted here. I can then sort by RA to see what's best placed. I'll have to admit setting up and doing some unplanned imaging as well :hello2:

Rob.

Archived