Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Widefield Cygnus

This was taken last night with my 7D (unmodded) and an Astronomik clip in LP filter fitted. It was taken with my 24-70L lens at f/4 and 32mm.

This is a total of 41 x 180 sec subs. No flats or darks as for some reason DSS wouldn't accept my flats. Processed in PI.

Would really welcome feedback and comments on this - It was devilishly difficult to process as well.

**Edit image added later in thread - More contrast suggested **

post-18339-133877624359_thumb.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's stunning! So many stars! :hello2:

Why the 7D and not the 100D?

The modded 1000D with the filter removed will not achieve focus with my usual lens's - Unfortunately. So I had to try another way!

Got an answer for the modded 1000D Peter - It's had the filter removed, so will not focus with the normal lens :hello2:

So it looks like the 7D now for widefield!

Thanks for the comments Digz, Martin and Peter - glad you like it

I'm sure I heard from other people on here that only AF was affected by the filter removal and you could still focus manually with lenses attached

I think Merlin66 could help answer for sure as I know he asked about it a while back

Jake

Merlin and I have had a chat already about this! I will definately go back with the 1000D tonight and have another go. I manged to get my focusing sorted out with the 7D, so armed with that experience, I'll give it another go!!

Hi Sara - It's a shame that there's not more going on in this region isn't it...?! :hello2:

Just for a laugh I thought I'd run it through Astronomy.net - Your field contains:

• Part of the constellation Cygnus (Cyg)
  • IC 1311
  • IC 1318 / gamma Cyg nebula
  • NGC 6940
  • NGC 6960 / Filamentary nebula / Lace-work nebula / Veil nebula
  • IC 5068
  • IC 5070 / Pelican nebula
  • NGC 6992 / Network nebula / Veil nebula
  • NGC 7000 / North America nebula
  • NGC 7092 / M 39
  • IC 1396
  • The star Deneb (αCyg)
  • The star Sadr (γCyg)
  • The star Gienah (εCyg)
  • The star Alderamin (αCep)
  • The star δCyg
  • The star ζCyg
  • The star ηCep
  • The star κCyg
  • The star ι2Cyg
  • The star 31Cyg

I did a very quick comparison of a similar widefield I took a few weeks back and I actually prefer this image with an unmodded camera - If it were me, I don't think I'd be too unhappy about not being able to take widefield with the modded 1000D... and you've certainly pegged the focusing!

Hmmm.... Talking of which, it seems to have missed out NGC 6888...(?).

Sara - If you can get your 1000D focused on this it might be interesting to image this again and then compare the two side-by-side...? (and also see if astronomy.net picks up more next time!). Still, I suppose it's nice that Astronomy.net is reporting what it sees and not what it thinks it should be able to see...

Just had a dinner invite this evening, so tonight will be out! Will definately try again soon. Thanks for your comments Andy. Will be interesting to see the difference if I can get focus.

Just had a dinner invite this evening, so tonight will be out!
Isn't that SO inconsiderate of friends?! I have the same problem - One of my "drinking buddies" has an uncanny knack of inviting me out just as I'm putting the OTA on the mount... (I don't usually like to say no, but I did blow him out last Sunday!)

Following on from a couple of comments, it was suggested that I needed more contrast on this shot. So back to PI and more contrast added - Do you think this is better now?

It's difficult to decide to be honest what is best!

post-18339-133877625645_thumb.jpg

Cheers Guy and Martin. I've worked on another process variant, which I do prefer, but don't want to burden you all with more!! Will wait until the mosaic gets done - If ever!!

Burden away... we dont care :)

Archived