Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Time at Dark Skies

I went to a dark sky site last night for the first time.

Whilst it was useful to get some experience of sorting my kit out and stting it up etc I ran into a few problems and didn't end up seeing anything really.

Here are the problems and I would appreciate some comments about getting good viewing from my scope at a dark site (or even at home). I have seen the Moon and Saturn and Jupiter abd could track them but I am very much a beginner and apart from a smudge which I think was a galaxy I haven't reallly seen any DSO's.

The alignment worked but was off and I had the experience of when doing brightest star alignment I chose the Northern Sky and it said no objects found even though I was staring at capella right in front of me.

When looking at DSO's do you have to leave the scope focused on a galaxy for a while before you see anything or do you get an instant view of it which improves?

I used a 20mm EP but right at the end I realised my error and changed it for a 32mm EP.

I hooked up the scope to Stellarium but when I selected a target and used the laptop to slew to it it was way off.

My cables for the scope kept getting caught and it even made me have to re-align once.

I had terrible trouble trying to locate intended alignment stars. I could not find them through the guide scope or telescope.

I will leave the issues here for now but if someone could help that would be great. Also bear in mind that it was my first time of proper viewing of DSO's rather than the Moon or Saturn.

By and large I think a lot of DSOs viewed through the scope will be little more than grey smudges. To resolve major details you will need to image them (multiple times and then stack the images to bring out the details)

Hi Star Gazer

I suggest you use 2 star alignment and use Polaris as te first star - you should always be able to find it :hello2:

At this time of year use Arcturus or Vega as the second star.

Centre the alignment stars using your highest power eyepiece and always make the final approach from the left and below.

When hunting DSOs it is useful to use the PAE function - select a visible star near the DSO and slew to this - centre in your highest power eyepiece and hold the ESC button down for 2 or 3 seconds then press enter.

Then select your DSO.

I suggest you look for some of the brighter globulars like M3 & M5 first.

Galaxies will always be faint smudges in your scope.

Clear skies

Paul

When looking at DSO's do you have to leave the scope focused on a galaxy for a while before you see anything or do you get an instant view of it which improves?

At a dark site, a bright galaxy (e.g. Messier object) should be immediately visible, but faint galaxies can take a while to pop into view, and may only be visible fleetingly with averted vision.

Much depends on the adaptation of the eye. If you look at a galaxy through the eyepiece, then look at a map or book under a red light, you can find that the galaxy is no longer visible when you look through the eyepiece again: the eye has been dazzled by too much light. It's important to use the faintest red light you can manage.

Crucial thing is to be sure you know where you're looking, either by getting to grips with GoTo, or (my own preferred approach) by using a decent map.

Aperture is not the issue: what counts is sky darkness and observer experience.

Regarding your alignment being a bit off, it pays to ensure that the mount is properly levelled using the spirit level bubble. It just being slightly off horizontal can be the difference of your target being bang on centre of view or just outside the view. Also be careful about entering an accurate time. If you are a minute or two out then your target may not be in the EP when you slew to it.

Hi

Sorry to hear things didn't go well. Specially as you've made the effort to get to a dark sky site.

Sometimes it pays to practice at home to get your set up sorted before trying it in the field.

I just hope it hasn't put you off making the effort to get to dark skies.

They are worth all the hassle and extra effort, trust me. I often take long trips with my scopes to get to dark skies.

The views at the end never disappoint.

Good luck with future trips.

Regards Steve

...Galaxies will always be faint smudges in your scope.....

Galaxies are also just faint smudges in my 10"! Although for me that doesn't take anything away from the pleasure of seeing them.

I'm afraid that it's only by entering the dark world of imaging that you can really start to see the detail.

Hi sorry to hear about you dark sky experience.

One question if I may, with your naked eye, can you see a lot more stars? Say Ursa Major, how many stars in the 'pan' you can see?

You certainly can. the sky becomes full of stars at a dark sky.

The difference is staggering.

Regards steve

Archived