Problems with first scope

Hi all.

I've this weekend bought my first telescope - a Skywatcher Explorer 200p, EQ5. However, I seem to be having some difficulties working it.

As far as I am aware I've put it together correctly. I start to encounter problems when attempting to line-up the main scope with the finder scope. Specifically, the main scope only seems to focus on nearby objects (10m-50m) and is out of focus when training it on more distant objects (300m-700m). This goes against what the manual says and what I have read elsewhere. I've tried the 25mm and 10mm eyepieces and they are both problematic.

Nevertheless, I managed to line the main scope up with the finder scope using nearby objects but wasn't confident this would be any use. I was correct. When trying to look at the sky tonight, I couldn't see a thing through the main scope.

Grateful for any views on what the problem might be and the best way to fix it.

Thanks

BetaSerpentis,

1. To align your finderscope, first find an outdoor area where you have a clear view for a minimum of one mile and set up your telescope.

2. Choose an easily identifiable fixed object in the distance such as a singular tree or building and make sure you center it in your telescope eyepiece.

3. Check first with a low power eyepiece, then with a high power eyepiece to ensure you have your object dead center in view.

4. If your object remains in centre, lock your telescope adjustments in place and then check the eyepiece once again to see if you have the object centered.

5. The next step for you will be to adjust your finderscope. Most telescopes have three or six adjusting screws and corresponding locking nuts on the finderscope. Gently loosen the screws while locking the nuts in order to move your finderscope.

6. Make the adjustments necessary to centre the object in your finderscope so that it is identical to the view you see in your telescope eyepiece and tighten the screws.

7. Finally, make a last check to ensure you have your view in center when you look in your eyepiece. If everything is aligned, you can tighten the locking nuts.

8. At night - It's a good idea before viewing to centre the finderscope with Polaris, align your primary to check accuracy.

I hope this helps?

Telrad,

Thanks for the tips. The problem I've been having is that the main scope won't focus on anything that's even remotely far aware. But it does focus on nearby objects, of about 10m-20m away.

I'm probably doing or not doing something obvious but I can't figure out what it is.

If the scope can only focus on objects 10-50m away something is wrong but it's not collimation I feel.

Usually the closest an astro scope like a newtonian can focus is 50m-100m.

Have you fully inserted your eyepieces into the focuser and racked the focuser in about halfway ?.

Perhaps posting a photo of the focuser / eyepiece area of your scope as you currently have it setup will help us diagnose the problem ?.

Hi, I have the same scope. You've attached the 2'' adaptor that comes with the scope to the eyepiece. This does not need attaching, unless your using different eyepieces ot camera. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't really say it was your stupidity. It looks as though it should go there, but it doesn't.

I believe that you would put the 2" adapter in in place of the 2"-1.25" adapter if you use 2" EPs.

Hope you can get some good veiws through it now :hello2:

Glad that your problem has cleared up. You'll really enjoy using it; I got mine back in February and still love it - I'm not lusting after other scopes like I used to when observing thru the Celestron Astromaster !

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks all for your advice on this. I'm relieved it was my stupidity rather than a problem with the scope.

Agree with the point about the instructions, though. No mention in them of the 2" adaptor.

Your not the first and you certainly wont be the last to have done this. We were all beginners at one point and have had to deal with a less than informative instruction manual. If any one is stupid it's the guy who wrote the manual. Glad to see you have it all sorted now.

SPACEBOY

Archived