Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMod For Mac

OzDave

Dave, are you on Lion?

/per

Yes, I am on Lion, but I have to say it is not treating my machine well. Have reinstalled 4 times so far and seem to get problems and random freezes all the time.

Dave

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds horrible. What machine are you on then? I use a 27" iMac, a MBP 15", a mini and an Air, all with Lion and no problems. I did have freezes on my iMac, both under Lion and SL, but that was with 16GB of memory and I have found it to not like my second set of 4GB modules. Back at 12GB now and it runs fine (main logic board switched - same thing). Strange...

Struggling with ObjC and find it sloooow with some array related stuff.

/per

I just bought Sky Safari Pro for OSX. ($29 right now). (Southern Stars • Products • SkySafari for Mac OS X) I like Stellarium but this software doesn't seem to lag the computer as much as Stellarium. And it is much easier to navigate, more native Mac.

Would it be possible to connect Sky Safari to EQMac? It would also be interesting to be able to use their SkyFi-interface.

/matti

Hi Matti, I don't have a copy of Sky Safari for OSX, although I do have it for my iPad/iPhone. I agree it is a nice bit of software and it would be great to hook it up to EQMac.

The difficulty with doing so, however, is that Sky Safari would need to provide a way of having a mount control plugin so that EQMac could be plugged in. Either this, or something technically equivalent. I will look into what possibilities there are and see if I can contact the authors of the software to see if they are willing to help with integration (provide documentation of how etc).

With the SkyFi interface, if I understand well, this is a thing that allows you to hook your computer to the mount while running Sky Safari and then you can use your Apple iDevice over WiFi to your computer to control the mount. Assuming that EQMac can be interfaced as a mount plugin, control via SkyFi should be possible.

I'll let you know if I discover anything about how to integrate things.

Regards,

David

I just bought Sky Safari Pro for OSX. ($29 right now). (Southern Stars • Products • SkySafari for Mac OS X) I like Stellarium but this software doesn't seem to lag the computer as much as Stellarium. And it is much easier to navigate, more native Mac.

Would it be possible to connect Sky Safari to EQMac? It would also be interesting to be able to use their SkyFi-interface.

/matti

I will look into what possibilities there are and see if I can contact the authors of the software to see if they are willing to help with integration (provide documentation of how etc).

They might be more helpful to you than to me but their response to me was to look into their SkyFi/SkyWire products.

I was hoping to write a quick slew/sync proxy for the app, but as nice as SkySafari is, it doesn't play well with others.

I have the Mac version as well as the iPhone/iPad versions and it's a really nice product for quickly planning an evening's imaging.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just been playing with this evening and noticed  bug.

If you open the application then close the primary window, the application stays running but there's no way to get the window back.  Normally you'd either close the application with the window or re-open the window some how (I think clicking the dock icon is the usual method).

I suppose the other option would be to block the closing of the primary window like EQASCOM does.

On the plus side I at least found out my old IBM serial/parallel adapter is recognised by OSX and EQMac.

• 3 months later...

I don't recall exactly which driver I used - I think I used a slightly modified version of the the Prolific driver on here:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=229&pcid=41

James

Hi James - many thanks - had it confirmed from David Grennan at HitecAstro that this is the correct driver http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=229&pcid=41 for use with the HitecAstro EQDir adapter which I understand is waiting for me at home ( I'm away for a week) - thanks for the prompt service!

David asked that if I was successful in using the HitecAstro EQDir adapter with this driver and EQMac to drive the NEQ6Pro mount that he would put this info. on their website for the benefit of those who use Mac OSX.

Of course with all the good work by OzDave there is no reason to suppose that it won't, but at last it spreads the word for the Mac Astro Software community of which I'm hoping to become a member soon.

Cheers,

Graham

• 6 months later...

I have emailed David but as yet not had a reply. Meanwhile, does anyone have experience of setting this up with a Synscan handset? I have connected the Macbook to the handset and set my location in Eqmac but that's as far as it goes. The time does not show correctly in the Mac's display as the instructions say, and the mount is just not found. Any ideas? 

I have not yet tried it under clear skies but the mount is apparently responding correctly to both Sky Safari and Equinox - so the connection seems to be ok, but I also wanted to try Eqmac

Cheers

Kerry 

I think you need to set the handset in PC Direct mode. EQMac (and EQMod) doesn't talk to the Synscan controller, it talks directly to the motor board. Or, you can just ditch the handset all together and get an EQDIR adapter (an adapter that translates your computer's RS-232 signals to TTL levels).

All the best,

Per

I think you need to set the handset in PC Direct mode. EQMac (and EQMod) doesn't talk to the Synscan controller, it talks directly to the motor board. Or, you can just ditch the handset all together and get an EQDIR adapter (an adapter that translates your computer's RS-232 signals to TTL levels).

All the best,

Per

Hello again Per

Successfully connected now! I should read the instructions properly! I have connected via the handset in PC Direct mode. Is there any advantage in using a EQDIR adapter? I can see that this gets rid of the handset altogether but is that necessary? Also, in a quick internet search I can see the adapters (FLO supply them for example) but I'm not sure about drivers for the Mac.

Anyway, so far so good, and thanks agin for pointing out how to connect properly  :laugh:

Kerry

I simply built my own adapter to RS232 levels and kept the serial port that worked. It is a simple design with just one IC, four capcitors and connectors. Looking at how few USB-to-serial adapter circuits are on the market, I'd say whatever they put in the EQDIR adapter will have drivers for the Mac. It is either Prolific, FTDI or Aten, all of which work with MacOSX.

/per

This morning I've done a comprehensive test of all the possible combinations for driving the mount - well it is raining! Eqmac drives it when connected but with other software I can only get Sky Safari to connect via eqmac . While both Equinox and Stellarium will drive the mount in themselves I cannot get either to drive it via eqmac even though the eqmac instructions say I should be able to.

Has anyone experience of using either Stellarium or Equinox with eqmac?

Hi Kerry (good to meet you at the last SGL btw),

Unlike ASCOM, the mac does not have a all-compatible connection interface. Hence a lot of applications write their own.

I was working with OzDave on a ASCOM equivalent however both of us have had to prioritise as spare time has been lacking over the last year.

INDI has been progressing and it's a worthwhile long exposure interface however there are aspects that make it difficult - especially for fast imaging work. I've always fed by ATIK driver sources back to ATIK who have been able pass this though to Peter at CloudBusters to progress INDI - a couple of months back I suggested we (Peter and I) put the sources together, mine being more performance orientated and his more INDI/portable orientated. The code has been used in Nebulosity and Software Bisque but again a lot of these folks are creating and writing software as a second job.. not many can make a mortgage paying job out of astronomy (if I won a large amount in the lottery then I'd be doing it as a hobby company :D).

I still consider that we're pushing "AOSX" as Astronomy on OSX (rather than ATIK on OSX as some have suggested), just as INDI and others such as James and Paul have - it's good that OSX is getting more and more support daily.

The second problem is that Skywatcher hasn't released an open source library to ensure sales of their GOTO handset.. which is a very olde worlde approach to driving sales. Especially with the large number of smart phones and tablets that could be powered by an adaptor but then control the mount with far more horsepower than the PIC based handset.

Nick

Archived