NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heads up refractor fans

spaceboy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know they are basically the same but the seller has by the looks of it has gone into the expense of getting the brass ring adapter so the nice 2" WO diagonal doesn't get marred. Done his best to solve the issues with the R&P focuser by adding an auto focuser and it's all sat on a very sturdy CG5-GT mount & 2" stainless steel tripod. My thinking is this is someone who knows what they are doing and have looked after the scope. Plus how many people keep packaging. I would guess when not in use the scope was stored in the packaging. I don't know this seller from Adam but I think who ever wins this scope is going to be a happy chappy. Of the top of my head the scope would be £500, mount £530, brass ring adapter £40 from US, Auto focuser £47, WO diagonal £70+ and his starting bid is £350 Even if it is a rebrand EVO I still think this would be a great buy and I'm sure others would agree.

I have one of these and think it performs well but it would fetch about £150 on the used market. You can have it for that if you like. As for the diagonal, well...

They do go for very little and are under rated, though they have no imaging potential.

Olly

I think that's why they (Acromats) dont hold there value.

I was wondering about this the other night- if achromats are used with narrowband filters, are they any worse than apochromats for imaginging? It would certainly make large aperture refractor imaging from urban/ light polluted sites cheaper if you don't really need apo optics?

I know they are basically the same but the seller has by the looks of it has gone into the expense of getting the brass ring adapter so the nice 2" WO diagonal doesn't get marred. Done his best to solve the issues with the R&P focuser by adding an auto focuser and it's all sat on a very sturdy CG5-GT mount & 2" stainless steel tripod. My thinking is this is someone who knows what they are doing and have looked after the scope. Plus how many people keep packaging. I would guess when not in use the scope was stored in the packaging. I don't know this seller from Adam but I think who ever wins this scope is going to be a happy chappy. Of the top of my head the scope would be £500, mount £530, brass ring adapter £40 from US, WO diagonal £70+ and his starting bid is £350 Even if it is a rebrand EVO I still think this would be a great buy and I'm sure others would agree.

TBH even though it was probably sold with a CG5, I wouldn't have a 6" f8 'frac on one. Having seen an Evostar 150/EQ5 get blown over at Kelling a couple of years ago and the mount head sheared clean off. Not a pretty sight I can tell you!

Tony..

I was wondering about this the other night- if achromats are used with narrowband filters, are they any worse than apochromats for imaginging? It would certainly make large aperture refractor imaging from urban/ light polluted sites cheaper if you don't really need apo optics?

Good queston. Maybe they'd do OK but narrowband is slow so why go for an f8 achro when an f4 Newt would be four times faster? I really ought to try the 150 in Ha but I doubt I ever will. I should really get organised and give it to a young observer without a telescope.

Olly

I agree with all that has been said. Achromats do go cheap S/H as one of my previous threads pointed out and yes the EQ5 of any variation are at it's upper most limits when such a long & heavy OTA is sat on it but I'm still sure this would be a good deal if not a practical one. (if it was to sell for it's starting bid). I do think on this occasion the seller would have been better splitting.

I agree with Spaceboy, at £350 it's a nice package. I personally wouldn't go above c£400 given the shipping cost. But if you split up the package you would make a few bob..:)

I accept that the scope is at the very limit of the CG-5 but for visual it's fine if it's balanced correctly. Ref being blown over by wind, surely if the wind was that strong you'd dismantle it anyway?? ;):eek::D

Views in gale force winds in most scopes would be pointless anyway!

BTW, I will NOT be bidding, but I hope someone gets' this nice little used package..

And the Celestron in black looks well cool, innit!:o

Dave

Good queston. Maybe they'd do OK but narrowband is slow so why go for an f8 achro when an f4 Newt would be four times faster? I really ought to try the 150 in Ha but I doubt I ever will. I should really get organised and give it to a young observer without a telescope.

Olly

If I ever get narrow band filters I might try this experiment on my £100 150mm F6 achromat. Could be that the filtration is enough to kill any colour fringes.

If I ever get narrow band filters I might try this experiment on my £100 150mm F6 achromat. Could be that the filtration is enough to kill any colour fringes.

An issue might be the shift in focus between NB wavelengths. It might be enough to alter the image scale enough to show, though Registar might handle that. Lots of 'mights' there. Sorry!

Olly

Olly,

Care to elaborate on that??

Cheers

Well... I might give it to you but I wouldn't want you to feel you had to buy me a beer for it! The mirror seems to rattle in mine. On the other hand it seems to work OK.

Delivery, no. But talk to me...

Olly

I have 2 William Optics 2" diagonals, 1 of which is dialectric and 1 quartz, both perform very well as par as I can tell. In fact I sold a Televue (Pre Everbright) as It was not noticeably better. The quartz in particular stacks up well against my current TV Everbright.

I also have a williams 45 degree prism and it seems to me to perform very well also.

Cheers

Only just realized. Goes to show it's a small world John. I guess the chromacor didn't work as planned in the C6 :D

It worked fine with both the Knous 6" and the Meade AR6. The latter was a darn heavy beast though so my back is having a rest :hello2:

Still got the Chromacor though ......

On the subject of this thread, I reckon anything under £500 would be a decent buy.

Archived