Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkySafari 3

bluesman81

Has anyone downloaded this yet? If so, anyone got any thoughts because I am considering upgrading to the Plus version and getting the control cable. Peoples views on this system would be appreciated....

tnx

I downloaded this ap the other day and, while I haven't played with it too much as yet, first impressions seem promising.

I currently use a netbook to control my mount and don't have any plans to upgrade the software and use my iPhone as the controller. However, that may change if I find I really like the ap...

Lee.

fantasic app - use this whenever out observing. Yes can connect to EQ6 pro and many other goto mounts (with additional hardware) will do a review when get a moment. Best thing is you can select any object once aligned and in a few seconds your centred on it :) if your short of time and want to view a number of hard to find objects in one night, this is excellent solution. Also has satellites/comets/asteroid lists, many catalogues NGC, IC, Messier, Caldwell etc. Even without telescope control, ive learned way around night sky using this.

Thanks for all the help guys....

A lot to think about. I downloaded the free app and have been playing with it last night. Seems pretty good though.

Now where is the wife's purse.....................

I have the iPad version of Safari 3 and I can control both my NexStar 6se and HEQ6 Pro over wi-fi using the SkyFi box serial/wi-fi adaptor. I got the SkyFi before the cheaper SkyWire adaptor was available but it does what it says on the box. It works on the iPhone too but it is nice to have the bigger screen.

• 3 weeks later...

How about this scenario - I just purchased Sky Safari and agree its great, the best one I have downloaded for the iPad so far - now, I dont have the Skyfi adapter, but can I connect via Wifi to EQMOD so SkySafari sees EQmod as the scope? I dont think I am making myself entirely clear here. Bu I would prefer to use the iPad over my laptop, but understand I still need my laptop to run EQMOD (the ipad is far more convinient to carry around).

iv got skysafari it was free not long ago but im running ios5 (didnt try with ios4) and its alittle buggy, but it is a beta opperating system afterall

my fav app though is starwalk, but it dosent have the control scope feature

Hi Simms

I do not think that Sky Safari supports the EQMOD driven mounts.

You can control any of the supported mounts via a PC if you set up a local wifi network and use a TCP/IP to Serial port routing program.

I use Multicom under MAC OSx and ser2net under linux (both free) - there are windows equivalents but I have not found a free one.

Hope this helps.

Paul

OK, well I have managed to get it to work intermittently. The procedure was to download EQMODLX which sits in front of EQMOD and can act as a TCP server - so setting it to port 999, setting SkySafari to port 999 and it seems to connect. EQMODLX receives commands from Skysafari and translates them into LX200 commnds that EQMOD can understand, this then seems to be able to drive my HEQ5 mount. Bear in mind that this is all being tested indoors at the moment, but gives me some hope!

• 1 month later...

I have the SkyFi and it works well over WiFi. The only advantage is that the phone doesn't have to be physically connected to the scope so you can wave it around above your head quite freely. Whether that is worth an extra £100 or not, probably not. I ordered my SkyFi directly from the States and it arrived in less than ten days. Even with the shipping, it cost less than the UK dealer is charging. £1≠$1 !

I have the SkyFi and it works well over WiFi. The only advantage is that the phone doesn't have to be physically connected to the scope so you can wave it around above your head quite freely. Whether that is worth an extra £100 or not, probably not. I ordered my SkyFi directly from the States and it arrived in less than ten days. Even with the shipping, it cost less than the UK dealer is charging. £1≠$1 !

Any chance of a link to the US dealer please?

In my experience of shipping in from the us, if you go for the cheap shipping they use the USPO which then (eventually) cones through our good old royal mail, who then charge you an extra £7 (or so) handling charge for the privilege of paying import duty through them, so it's nearly always worth paying for Express or Priority delivery which tends to be a private carrier like DHL, UPS or the like, who only ever charged me the actual import duty itself.

Archived