finder scopes??

Hi all i have just got my self 8" dob. but find it hard to find things in my finder scope :-). can i just put a cheap scope on it ??? or will i be best of putting a right angled finder scope on it ??? and if so what size .

cheers Wayne

If your finding the finderscope difficult, how about a red dot finder or a Telrad? I've never used one myself, but I've read enough people on here raving about them. Next time I've got a bit of spare cash I'll be getting a Telrad.

Nice scope by the way :)

Have you made sure it's aligned properly. It's hard enough navigating around when it's all upside down / back-to-front and would be even worse if it's not aligned properly. I used Saturn to align mine (any bright star or distant object will do)

Leigh

I'm a newbie with a scope and was initially frustrated with how much progress I wasn't making but for me using the finderscope in conjunction with stellarium the penny is starting to drop (imagine me making loads of trips to my scope and then indoors to verify my position with stellarium)

I think key to this approach is knowing the FOV of your finderscope.

Mark

P.s. a telrad sounds like a useful bit of kit, maybe next payday :)

I like both Telrads and Right angle finders - have them both. I use the "correct image" type of RAF - the Orion 9x50 - bit dear but very useful neck and back saving investment. The Telrad is the perfect aid for interpreting star maps. An 8" dob would be comfortable with either or both :)

I like both Telrads and Right angle finders - have them both. very useful neck and back saving investment. The Telrad is the perfect aid for interpreting star maps. An 8" dob would be comfortable with either or both :icon_eek:

Totally agree. It's worth spending a few £££s on finders, without gooduns you can struggle, and get neck strain.:)

Regards Steve

+1 for the telrad and right angled finder combo

Telrad first though.

the trick to using a straight through finder is keep both eyes open. sounds daft but try it.

I use a Telrad and right angle finder on both my dobs, simplicity finding things after that with a good star map.

I have a 6x30 on my planetary dob and a 9x50 on the bigger dob.

Telrads are great... but if you keep going indoors to look at a computer and re-blind yourself you will never find anything! Print your night's objects off as finder charts on paper from Stellarium or whatever and then prseerve your dark adaptation as if it were gold dust. It takes half an hour to obtain and one second to lose.

Olly

If your finding the finderscope difficult, how about a red dot finder or a Telrad? I've never used one myself, but I've read enough people on here raving about them. Next time I've got a bit of spare cash I'll be getting a Telrad.

Nice scope by the way :)

Telrad gets my vote :icon_eek:

Archived