Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SPC880NC (SPC900NC)

Hi,

I've seen a number of placed selling versions of the Phillips SPC880NC for webcam astro imaging. These range from the standard 880NC to those flashed to the 900NC and ones with modded cases (including fans) and the prices vary accordingly.

I've found this 880NC conversion guide, so have an idea of what is involved - not sure I'm up for attempting this, even it if doesn't sound too techy: www.boltonastro.org.uk/Members_Area/Projects/spc880conversion.pdf

The thing is being a newbie, I don't really have anything (or the experience) to judge these prices. So what is a reasonable price for the cams that have already been modded. I can find these on eBay

£63 (inc postage) Philips SPC900NC Webcam Astrophotography Setup | eBay UK

Or this full mod, case & fan at £101 (inc postage) - Looks good, but seems expensive (but for all I know it's perfectly reasonable!) SPC900 Astronomy Modified Camera, Long Exposure, AmpOff on eBay (end time 10-Jun-11 00:38:55 BST)

Anybody know where best to get these cams from? To start with I'm looking at some planetary imaging, but will want it to do long exposure stuff later.

Cheers

Al

This is where most folks bought the SPC880NC from:

Buy Philips SPC880 webcam at Morgan Computers

This is in its unmodified form, so will require flashing to a SPC900NC (free and not too difficult) and adding a 1.25" nosepiece. Total cost approx £25-30.

I personally wouldn't bother with the long exposure mod unless you plan to use it as a guide cam. Definitely wouldn't bother using it as a deepsky imager. Much better off trying your luck on Ebay for a cheap Canon 300D and £101 would definitely get you started with a DSLR.

The unmodded cam is great for planetary/lunar imaging though.

Yes, great as a planetary/lunar imager....still have one. But complete rubbish as deepsky imaging camera. And that was verdict back in 2003 as well.

Sorry to thread hijack with this question. but on the web link you posted russ, you can either buy all the bits yourself. or they sell a kit for 40 pounds all inclusive. the kit comes with an IR filter.

is an IR filter nessecary for lunar & planetary work?

Thanks for posting this question Al! it saved me a job. :)

buy from morgans about £40 including the flashing to 900 nc or you might get second hand for alittle less.

then download the drivers needed for you pc from the philips website.

don`t buy from e bay as these people are just trying to double their money.

the webcams make good planetary images as they can take very quick images then the free stacking software can put them all together.

the IR / UV filter will be good to help with sharpening the image, if you don`t use one you can get alittle bloating effect

Sorry to thread hijack with this question. but on the web link you posted russ, you can either buy all the bits yourself. or they sell a kit for 40 pounds all inclusive. the kit comes with an IR filter.

is an IR filter nessecary for lunar & planetary work?

Thanks for posting this question Al! it saved me a job. :)

I hadn't noticed the kit for £40....that's a great price with the IR filter and nosepiece. Personally i would take that option and save the trouble of flashing the camera.

Thanks for the info & links.

To start with I'll be using it on a SW Skymax 127.

I already have an EOS 400D that I can use, but won't be modding the EOS as it also gets used for regular photography.

I don't think I'll bother with the long exposure mod on the webcam.

That £40 kit (42.44 inc postage) from Morgan looks like a winner, especially as I don't have easy access to an XP PC (there is an old one sat in the spare room, but it's been butchered for spares).

The same stuff from the eBay seller comes in at £20 more, but include something described as an "OPTIMIZED COLOUR MODE" - anybody know what this does.

Philips SPC900NC Webcam Astrophotography Setup | eBay UK

I'm guessing the 'optimized colour' bit is self explanatory, but does it make a big difference to the capture/final stacked image & is it something that can be 'tweaked' in software.

Cheers...

Al

I have the one that costs £101, did not buy it at that price, much cheaper. Found a few problems with the wire soldering and had to get it redone locally, did ask on the forum for help but was not forthcomming :). Have yet to use it properly so can't say how it will do but be warned about the wiring if you do think of getting it. :(

Jim

Thanks for the info & links.

To start with I'll be using it on a SW Skymax 127.

I already have an EOS 400D that I can use, but won't be modding the EOS as it also gets used for regular photography.

I don't think I'll bother with the long exposure mod on the webcam.

That £40 kit (42.44 inc postage) from Morgan looks like a winner, especially as I don't have easy access to an XP PC (there is an old one sat in the spare room, but it's been butchered for spares).

The same stuff from the eBay seller comes in at £20 more, but include something described as an "OPTIMIZED COLOUR MODE" - anybody know what this does.

Philips SPC900NC Webcam Astrophotography Setup | eBay UK

I'm guessing the 'optimized colour' bit is self explanatory, but does it make a big difference to the capture/final stacked image & is it something that can be 'tweaked' in software.

Cheers...

Al

OPTIMIZED COLOUR MODE

That's another free do it yourself mod like flashing the camera to an SPC900NC. There's a page here that explains how to do it:

astrobond.ebrawe

Russ & red Dwalf - - Thanks. That looks straight forward enough.

Has anybody got any experience using either the 'optimized colour' or 'Raw' modes for planetary imaging (and lunar & solar). I will be using it on a Skymax 127.

Al

the thing is, you can buy the camera from morgans seperately and add the option for flashing it.

the IR filter bumps the price up quite a bit. do you really need it?

The IR cut filter blocks out infra red light which if unfiltered will have an affect on the sharpness of the image. You do need it.

Peter

I have SPC880 flashed to 900 from Morgans also with IR filter. It is set to Colour Enhanced as mentioned earlier and works a treat as a planetary imager especially with the 127Mak.

Saturn through MAK

Buy it ready flashed with the bits and literally plug it in and go!

HTH

Thanks for the comments.

I looked at the package with Morgans yesterday, created a new customer account but didn't order. This morning they sent me a discount code (almost the same as the one posted here). Will be ordering the kit WITH the IR filter.

I'll be applying that Colour Enhanced mod and see how that goes.

JKB: Love those Saturn images ...... gives me something to aim for and will have to read up on the RRGB processing method.

500x mag!! What EP were you using ?

Thanks everyone

Al

Thanks for the comments.

I looked at the package with Morgans yesterday, created a new customer account but didn't order. This morning they sent me a discount code (almost the same as the one posted here). Will be ordering the kit WITH the IR filter.

I'll be applying that Colour Enhanced mod and see how that goes.

JKB: Love those Saturn images ...... gives me something to aim for and will have to read up on the RRGB processing method.

500x mag!! What EP were you using ?

Thanks everyone

Al

The "500x magnification" isn't a true magnification. A webcam such as the SPC880/900 has an equivalent field of view of a 6mm eyepiece. The camera combined with the x2 barlow is giving a field of view equivalent to the 6mm eyepiece at x500. In imaging the normal rule of 2x per mm of aperture is ignored as there isn't any real magnification involved. When imaging the planets or the moon it is usual to give the F number used (focal length x barlow power / aperture). In the case of "500x magnification" a Skymax 127 + 2x barlow gives a focal ratio of about F24, which is about ideal for imaging planets/moon.

Peter

Archived