NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

do i really need a guide scope

You will always get tracking error's on any mount, the less tracking errors you want the more money you will need to spend, and it becomes very expensive , I do both guided an unguided, after setting up my LXD75 so it's spot on the money with it PEC'd and smart drive turned on, i managed to get 2.5 - 3 min maximum unguided before star trails become very evident, any higher exposure above that i use my guide camera with my ETX90 piggybacked on the main scope and an ATIK16c and PHD, with guided I've tried up to 10 mins exposures without any issues and you can produce some really good results.

do i really need a guide scope for imaging when my mount tracks?

No you don't. The lack of a guide scope doesn't prevent you taking an image - only the lack of a camera dies that :). You don't even have to track to take pretty pictures, or indeed scientifically useful ones. Whether you need a guided system depends on what you're personally hoping to achieve and what equipment you are using.

Image bright objects like planets and you won't need to guide. Image DSOs and you will need longer exposures during which any tracking error will most likely affect your final image quality.

Even if guiding is necessary to achieve your personal goals you don't have to go down the route of a separate guidescope. For instance you could use an off axis guider or use an imaging camera with its own off axis guiding sensor that works independently of the imaging sensor.

Chris.

Off axis guiding has its advantage's, first you don't need a second scope, so you wont get any flexing and you'll always have the guide camera and the main camera pointing in the same direction. However off axis guiding does have it's own issues, they take up a bit of focal distance, second you have to find a star in a small field of view with the prism.

Using the piggyback method your advantage is you get to see more stars in the field of view, however you will have to invest in a guide scope, but what you do need to be look out for is flexing, the guide scope has to be rigid with no play on it at all, any play could send the tracking right out.

The choice really is what you would feel comfortable with.

Archived