Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A 'tricky' nights viewing.

What with work, clouds etc, last night was my first chance to get outside for nigh on 3 weeks, so very excited and all set up out for 23:30.

Blimey!! Was it bright in my back yard! :) Hardly any need for a torch, but I was determined to make the most of it, so..first stop.. Saturn..

I figured that DSO's were gonna be scarce tonight, so spent longer than usual on this little beauty. Practicing my focusing, was able to get a lovely view of the rings/ shadow, and three moons, but still no cassini division....one day!!

After three weeks, the view in my garden had changed somewhat, so set about revisiting some favourites..testing my memory of their positions within the constellations, and was pleased to be able to find M3, M13, and M57 pretty sharpish...however, the observing wasn't too good...all looked very dim, with little detail..and by this time, things were getting a little soggy to say the least!! Was still pleased to find them though! :hello2:

Last challenge of the night, attempting to find a new messier object..M51, the spiral galaxy. Wasn't too hopeful really...but persevered, and almost missed it!!! A quick 'fuzzy' flash...was that it?? :) Wasn't sure as the two 'blobs' looked quite far apart in my 25mm EP, and I was expecting them to be much closer together. Put in the 10mm, and definately two closer 'glows' of fuzz visible, but no shape or definition visible. Still wasn't sure, so, checked my star map..( First time I needed to use my nice new red torch!!)...and confirmed by the two close together stars, and a more seperate star in the same FOV.

Honestly?? Just a tad dissapointed with M51...but I guess with the conditions, I was lucky to find it at all!! :p

By this time....01:45...everything was pretty much sopping with dew..and focussing on even bright stars was pretty much impossible, so called it a night.

All in all, I found this a tricky night for viewing, what with the brightness, lateness, and dew!!...but enjoyed every minute of it all the same!!

Going to my aunt's tonight, and taking the scope...first trip out to a much darker site....so will be interesting to see the difference in observing from there....that is, if my vision isn't slightly 'slurred'!! The old dear does love a little 'tipple' or two!!!!;)

Vicky.

Cheers Steve!! You were so right!! Just back from the aunt's house in the country- (dark site), and now I am utterly depressed!!

I never fully realised just how light polluted my backyard really is!! Last night was a revelation!!

Had a wonderful night viewing, and sharing , with aunt and unc...after I got myself orientated!! So many more stars visible, despite the 'summer' night sky, it was still very dark!! I was a bit lost for a bit....but finally got my bearings. Constellations looked so different. In Hercules from my home site I can just make out the 4 'main' stars of the body...last night I struggled to spot them, there were so many more to see!!! Lyra was fully visible, as was Cygnus....amazing!!

Had a great time finding and showing all my favourites...M81/M82, M13, M57, M3....all looked much clearer and more defined than previous observing.....and Mizar/ Alcor......and Saturn..of course!!

The family were pretty impressed with the views, (as was I!!), and we're now talking about the possibility of having a little star night later in the year, attached to a fund raising evening for the village hall....."burgers and Bootes"..kinda thing!!!

And now I'm back home....back down to earth, with my LP flooded garden!! Ignorance is bliss I guess, but once enlightned, it's tough!!

Just made me realise, to get the most out of my scope, a regular dark site is a must really!!

Vicky.

Sounds a good night, I'm lucky having reasonably un-light polluted skies at home but had another heavy dew again last night.

Ended up putting the scopes away and sitting out with a star atlas learning some constellations.

Sounds like a fab night Vicky :)

I spotted M57 for the first time a couple of nights ago (my two oldest were still up at 11 so I dragged them out until about 1ish- wellll, it is the school hoildays :(

I decided not to try M81/2 as it still didn't seem dark enough and they're just above the house with the light pollution from the street at the front blasting upwards :eek: I might stay up extra late sometime or even just wait for the winter.

What's bext for you Vicky? I haven't tried M3 or M57 yet. I have to say M57 was dimmer than I expected...

Best wishes,

Vicky

Sounds a good night, I'm lucky having reasonably un-light polluted skies at home but had another heavy dew again last night.

Must be lovely having low LP! But i get ya about the dew, it's a real pain!! Even my eyepieces were covered in it the other night, (I've since found out from an old thread 'not' to leave them on the table, but keep 'em in my pocket to prevent this! DOH:p

Sounds like a fab night Vicky :)

I spotted M57 for the first time a couple of nights ago (my two oldest were still up at 11 so I dragged them out until about 1ish- wellll, it is the school hoildays :(

I decided not to try M81/2 as it still didn't seem dark enough and they're just above the house with the light pollution from the street at the front blasting upwards :eek: I might stay up extra late sometime or even just wait for the winter.

What's bext for you Vicky? I haven't tried M3 or M57 yet. I have to say M57 was dimmer than I expected...

Vicky

Hey vicky, great to hear you're out with the scope, enjoying it with the kids.

I found M81/82 tricky too! Especially as it's right above at the mo...requiring a little contortion! But worth it, as you get 2 galaxies in one FOV!!!

Agreed...M57 is pretty dim, but I love it just because it looks so weird!! Have you seen m13 yet??...and Saturn?? The double cluster in Perseus is lovely too....

Next up...the moon I think, and some double star hunting. (DSO's are proving a bit tricky from my garden now!) Apparently, they show some lovely colours, so that should be interesting....

Hope you're enjoying your Dob!!!!

Happy hunting!

Vicky.

Dark sky observing is as bad as aperture fever, I know I suffer from both.:(

Once you've observed from a dark sky It's hard to go back to urban observing.

Those wonderful images in your mind just won't go away.:eek:

They taunt you every time you observe from light polluted skies.

Best solution is to feed the beast as often as possible.:)

Regards Steve

sounds like a great series of observing sessions! with your scope you should be able to see Cassini quite readily even with relatively low magnification perhaps 100x - in fact sometimes this is better for seeing Cassini).

when I first saw it (last year when the rings were even more closed up) I was surprised how far out it was on the rings - almost to the edge it seems sometimes. the best way to see it is get your focus as good as you can, then leave it alone and just observe solidly for a few minutes at a time. eventually you'll see the tiny black crescents in about the last quarter of the rings.

this drawing http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-sketches-unconventional/139607-saturn-20-dk-19-20-04-11-a.html gives a good impression of where they sit. I am getting broadly this detail with the 6" f11 but not quite as fine. I have certainly seen the crepe ring (grey misty ring on the inside) with my 6". I am using good quality eyepieces though and maybe this makes a difference.

Dark sky observing is as bad as aperture fever, I know I suffer from both.:(

Those wonderful images in your mind just won't go away.:(

Best solution is to feed the beast as often as possible.:(

Regards Steve

So true!! My backgarden will never be the same!! We have a very underused caravan at the moment.....a few trips to backwater CL sites methinks......

with your scope you should be able to see Cassini quite readily even with relatively low magnification perhaps 100x - in fact sometimes this is better for seeing Cassini).

when I first saw it (last year when the rings were even more closed up) I was surprised how far out it was on the rings - almost to the edge it seems sometimes. I am using good quality eyepieces though and maybe this makes a difference.

Some really great advice on Saturn observing there Moonshane! Thankyou. Never realised the cassini was that far out. Maybe I've seen it, but not noticed??:). Need to spend a little more time I think. You may have a point about the eyepieces though...mine being 'bog standard' may be the difference.....it takes a lot of fiddly focussing just to get a good view of the visible space between the rings and the planet!!:(

ps did you look at M51 from the darker site? it's a truly stunning object with a dark sky.

NO!! Gutted really! Only found it once so far, so last night concentrated on the objects I could find easily to keep the family occupied...after that little session, things wound down..so didn't get the chance for a second search. Will keep observing it though, to see if I can get a better view. :eek:

Sounds like a reasonable nights observing for this time of the year to me.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I had a good night out on Friday night as well, but no dew. I was very surprised.

Watch the alcohol. It makes your eyes less sensitive to light.

Oh!! Now that's where I'm going wrong when at Sky Camp!!!

Sounds like a reasonable nights observing for this time of the year to me.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Watch the alcohol. It makes your eyes less sensitive to light.

Oh!! Now that's where I'm going wrong when at Sky Camp!!!

Cheers Eagleseye.

:):D. Point noted! No more 'cygnus' and 'cider' then.....:(.

Archived