SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first DSO's

Had my Skyliner 200p for a couple of weeks and been out in the backgarden a handfull of times. Was getting a little frustrated at not finding any DSO and starhopping with the back-to-frontness of the viewfinder/scope.

Well, last night thought I would try and find M57. 5 minutes later and I found it. Very subtle and faint, like a little smoke ring but I was over the moon. So much so that I dragged the Mrs out of bed for her to have a look.

After that I thought right, whats next. Lets find M13, WOW. found it really quick and couldnt believe it. Absolutely beautiful. Was absoultey over the moon, a moment i'll never forget.

What started out as a quick 30 min session turned into a 1am session (destroyed today - up at 530 for work) I didnt even want to go in and get my coat.

The Whirlpool / cigar Galaxies continue to allude me though. Desperate to find my first galaxy.

Was telling everyone in work today and was met with the usual rolling eyes so just wanted to share with others who understand.

Bring on the winter so I dont have to wait until 11pm to get out with my scope

Leigh

Yep well done Leigh, sounds like you have the proper bug!

They are the perfect objects for this time of the year, I think we all just wish the skies were a little darker!

Congrats on the scope as well, a great choice and I have one :) You can always share your astro adventures with people on here and meet friendly replies. I also have people I try and tell things who don't have a clue!

Hi Leigh,

I too had my very first M13 (and DSO) last week- I was very very pleased. My other half came out for a peep and well, was enthusiastic as perhaps someone not really interested in astronomy could be.

The night before I'd spent a couple of hours on and off trying to find it, in the end I found it within a couple of mins the next night- used Stellarium to make a sketch of that part of the sky (the two stars either side helped me to identify it in the finder).

Hoping for a few more clear skies!

So what's next on the list then? I'm dithering myself...

Best wishes,

Vicky

Archived