Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Painting Aluminium

glowjet

I am about to spray paint some small alloy parts with cellulose, the ideal would be to anodise but this is not an option, cleaning is an essential part of the process to avoid paint peeling and of course the use of an etch primer, has anyone had any success with this type of finish and if so what method of prior cleaning did you adopt?

John.

That's a great site, neve knew you could do this at home!

I used to anodize aluminium as a job and it gives off some nasty fumes. I had to get a different job in the end because it kept giving me nose bleeds.

Very nasty stuff is used in anodising - I really don't think it should be done in the kitchen. I'd recommend a well ventilated shed. A fume cabinet with extractor fan would be a very good idea. Sulphurous fumes can cause a lot of damage, they combine with water in the air to form sulphuric acid. That is highly corrosive and hazardous to health. BEWARE!!

some auto parts/accessory shops sell etch primer in spray cans , i have used this on alloy car parts/wheels , clean with mild caustic soda solution or vinegar to pre etch shiny parts rinse very well and dry in warm place if you can like airing cupboard or oven to dry porous surface .

I would love to anodise but dont trust myself with teh process:) Therefore I paint using a self etch primer as a base but to answer your question on cleaning

I usually clean any oil etc off with a good degreaser then wash and dry the piece thoroughly. I then handle the piece with disposable gloves to stop my sweaty mitts affecting the 1st primer coat.

Philj

Thanks for all advice given, the job is now complete, for anyone else attempting heres what I did : finish parts with fine wet and dry, don a pair rubber gloves to handle the parts from now on, scour all surfaces well with a damp cloth and Vim or similar scouring powder, degrease in hot water and detergent, a proprietary degreaser would be useful, rinse all parts in distilled water and dry with hot air, base paint with etch prime then spray finish in the normal way, I am very pleased with the results so far which is a culmination of helpful tips and hints, but time will tell to see if the paint lifts in the future :)

John.

Archived