Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope house 10% off bank holiday

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just received an email from them they are doing 10% off everything

Will FLO be doing the same I wonder??????

Our prices are generally too low for us to afford an additional 10% off everything. What product were you interested in buying?

Steve

Our prices are generally too low for us to afford an additional 10% off everything. What product were you interested in buying?

Steve

Ive got my eye on a MN190 but not until the end of July.

i was looking to get a heq5 almost £50 cheaper with the 10% off

They don't appear to list the HEQ5 but they do list the HEQ5 PRO at £779.99, compared to FLO's £747. To afford 10% discount on bank holidays we would need to raise our everyday prices. That isn't how FLO works.

Steve

It is up-to-date Peter :)

Having said that, the SGL Discount scheme isn't what it used to be. FLO was launched nearly five years ago around the time the recession started and the forum had only a few hundred members. At first we offered 10% off everything. As the recession took hold suppliers and dealers reduced prices and margins until the point where, after SGL discount, we actually lost money on some of the more popular items (many entry-level telescopes are sold at near cost price). Rather than stop the scheme we reduced it to 5-10% off 'most' items. Today it is usually 5% off most accessories.

We probably ought to stop the scheme altogether as our prices are already very competitive and the money is probably better spent on additional SGL sponsorship (SGL has just passed 14,000 members!).

HTH,

Steve

Price is clearly important but so is good advice and accurate information which FLO are very generous in giving. If I am being very honest, I like everyone else always wants good value but I also recognise that people have to make a living. I don't see astro gear (as seductive as it is!) as an essential purchase in my life and so don't feel that the odd pound here or there should make a great deal of difference. From FLO's point of view this forum is good for business but equally they are good for this forum in subsidising it and thereby facilitating all the help that is available here for free - priceless!

James

(...now seen waiting patiently at his computer hoping that Steve will send a private message offering a special 30% discount off any product due to my sincere endorsement :))

Thank-you :p

Most members don't know or remember FLO and SGL's history and how they are interlinked. I joined SGL (it's fiftieth member) back when it was much smaller. After becoming a mod, then a GM, I worked together with the ADMIN and mod team to establish and grow the forum.

When SGL's running costs became significant ADMIN approached the retailers who were promoting their companies free of charge, and asked them for sponsorship. They weren't interested. They either considered SGL too small or they didn't want to offend a larger (at the time) forum. After SGL had grown a bit some dealers did express an interest but they were demanding and generally hard work. It was around then that I handed in my mod badge and setup First Light Optics.

For a while FLO rubbed shoulders with one or two other dealers here on SGL but they either stopped contributing or were too demanding so ADMIN made FLO sole sponsor. They figured if they had a discussion board for FLO and another for dealer reviews the forum would be properly funded without the shananigans associated with multiple sponsors. Needless to say it has worked because here we all are, enjoying what has become the largest, most active and fastest growing UK astronomy forum :)

Back on topic: If you are concerned only with price, compare FLO's with the competion. You will find they are amongst the lowest. Except for bank holidays... :p

HTH,

Steve

Hello Steve!

Thanks for the post about your history with SGL and FLO. Although I'm in the US, I much prefer SGL (and would buy from FLO if it were economically feasible) over other web sites. The knowledge and willingness to help of all those here is superior. Plus, my ancestors are English (back to the 13th Century), and I'm an anglophile of the first order.

I sincerely hope that both FLO and SGL will continue to thrive and profit from their relationship. All of us who share an interest in this wonderful pastime are the better for it.

Regards,

Agreed! :) This is a great place for help and info. FLOs prices are good and I've found the delivery fantastic. eg. I ordered my NEQ6 Pro about 4pm one afternoon and it came early the next day. You can't beat that!

Archived