Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope house 10% off bank holiday

Price is clearly important but so is good advice and accurate information which FLO are very generous in giving. If I am being very honest, I like everyone else always wants good value but I also recognise that people have to make a living. I don't see astro gear (as seductive as it is!) as an essential purchase in my life and so don't feel that the odd pound here or there should make a great deal of difference. From FLO's point of view this forum is good for business but equally they are good for this forum in subsidising it and thereby facilitating all the help that is available here for free - priceless!

I agree with you James. :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We probably ought to stop the scheme altogether as our prices are already very competitive and the money is probably better spent on additional SGL sponsorship (SGL has just passed 14,000 members!).

Steve

Steve, I don't think that is at all unreasonable in the current economic climate and most SGL members would appreciate your reasoning.

I've taken advantage of FLO's price matching and SGL discount more than once over the years, but the excellent customer service I've always received from Steve, James and crew mean FLO will be my first stop for all things astro regardless of whether there's a discount scheme in operation or not.

Keep up the good work guys... it's very much appreciated :)

Col

It is up-to-date Peter :)

Having said that, the SGL Discount scheme isn't what it used to be. FLO was launched nearly five years ago around the time the recession started and the forum had only a few hundred members. At first we offered 10% off everything. As the recession took hold suppliers and dealers reduced prices and margins until the point where, after SGL discount, we actually lost money on some of the more popular items (many entry-level telescopes are sold at near cost price). Rather than stop the scheme we reduced it to 5-10% off 'most' items. Today it is usually 5% off most accessories.

We probably ought to stop the scheme altogether as our prices are already very competitive and the money is probably better spent on additional SGL sponsorship (SGL has just passed 14,000 members!).

HTH,

Steve

I am sure most people feel this way but I wanted to say it anyway - personally, I feel the support of FLO for SGL (making it a free forum) is more important than saving a few quid on gear. I save money by buying used (which I appreciate does not help FLO) but when I do buy from them I never ask for discount for the above reasons.

Archived