Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Push Fit V's SCTscrew fit diagonals for an 8 inch SCT ?

As my SCT comes with no diagonal I have a choice of which way to go - at the moment push fit 2 inch diagonal plus a push fit SCT adaptor seem to make sense over an SCT screw fitting diagonal - are there any pitfalls that I might be missing ? - how would this work with a 0.63x focal reducer for example ?.

John.

That's the way I went for a few reasons.

2" photo accessories will fit straight on.

If you get 2" filters, load one in the diagonal and it works with both size eyepieces and saves unscrewing and transferring when you change eyepieces. I don't think you can do this with SCT diagonals.

Compression rings, I much prefer these to set screws. I would also get the SCT-pushfit adaptor with a compression ring, nice firm grip and holds the taper of the diagonal very well.

It also puts the eyepiece further away from the rear of the scope which I like.

It still allows views on the zenith, but the clearance won't be enough for the reducer.

I haven't tried the reducer, but I can't see a problem as there is a lot of focus travel.

Well there's my tuppence worth

Dave

Lo John

I suppose it is horses for courses. I went with the SCT diagonal as I thought it would be much simpler than having to fit a 2" visual back adapter then fitting the diagonal :D I now find that I have 2 push fit diagonals which are used on the refractors and are much better quality than the original Meade SCT diagonal, guess who just bought a 2" visual back adapter :lol:

John, I had a 2" sct screw on diagonal for my c9.25 and c11 and wished I went with an adapter and push fit in the end. I found the clearance from the rear cell to my big head with a short focal length eyepiece a pain! Also having to unscrew and turn the whole diagonal would end up with me not quite getting the position I wanted.

Cheers

Dave

• 7 months later...

I went with a 2" SCT diagonal for 2 reasons. 1) I dont currently own a refractor so the diagonal doesn' t have to do dual duty. If you own a refractor as well, you can use a push fit in both. 2) Balance, as the SCT diagonal is a lot closer to the OTA than a pushfit adapter/push fit diagonal the balance on my fork mount OTA is a lot better.

Archived