Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mounting and dismounting the OTA

Hello to all,

Just looking for thoughts on dismantling a 200 PDS for storage at the end of each session. I have to remove the OTA and store it and the tripod separately (lack of space). I usually take the tube off with the dovetail attached, but I've noticed that however careful I am some of the paint around the saddle is being chipped off. Is this a common problem, or I am more clumsy than most. Hopefully some white Hammerite will cover the chips, but perhaps the best way would be to take the tube out of its rings and then remove the dovetail - what do you think?

Roy

Keep tube rings/dovetail attached. Easier to handle and the dovetail acts as a handle.

I did this all the time with mine when I needed to pack it down and it worked a treat. I also marked the dovetail so that I could always put it back in the right place (balanced etc)

Like beamer says - I think it's pretty normal to have a few paint chips. All of my scopes do and I am pretty careful about moving and storing them.

When assembling my rig I attach the tube rings to the mount first then add the scope and when I'm taking it down I take the OTA off the rings first. My reasons are that I think it's safer to sit the OTA in the rings and then tighten them than try and secure the rings in the mount head with the scope attached. I've tried it with my 300P and almost dropped the whole thing. Also when imaging I need to ensure I can align the eyepiece position with the axis of the mount (for reasons of balance).

HTH

Mark

Like beamer says - I think it's pretty normal to have a few paint chips. All of my scopes do and I am pretty careful about moving and storing them.

When assembling my rig I attach the tube rings to the mount first then add the scope and when I'm taking it down I take the OTA off the rings first. My reasons are that I think it's safer to sit the OTA in the rings and then tighten them than try and secure the rings in the mount head with the scope attached. I've tried it with my 300P and almost dropped the whole thing. Also when imaging I need to ensure I can align the eyepiece position with the axis of the mount (for reasons of balance).

HTH

Mark

Same method here as well. I found it easier to offer the OTA into the cradling arms of the rings than trying to find the narrow slot of the puck.

Also, I have balance marks on the dovetail which is easy to line up without the weight of the tube, and I know the dovetail is sitting square and secure before anything is added.

For the moment, I am leaving the MAK150 in it's (new) rings and holding onto a extra dovetail bar "handle", while inserting onto the mount. Just recently, I was indeed contemplating pre-mounting the rings, as a cradle to receive the bigger heavier photo-newt. The latter OTA has a few more handholds... ;)

The following makes me feel a bit wimpish - And a cheapskate even. ;)

YouTube - c14 is a small scope (Part II - Smart Easy Way for Girly Men)

Quite a nifty idea, though. :eek:

i personally leave tube rings and dovetail attached,so much easier and i cant really think why you would want to remove them,as was said before it act as a very handy grip when transporting,when mounting my 200p i hold it right under my right armpit like how u would put someone in a headlock and then i am able to see the saddle when putting the ota on.

i personally leave tube rings and dovetail attached,so much easier and i cant really think why you would want to remove them,as was said before it act as a very handy grip when transporting,when mounting my 200p i hold it right under my right armpit like how u would put someone in a headlock and then i am able to see the saddle when putting the ota on.

I think it is a matter of what you feel is safe and comfortable with. I prefer to hold a £1000+ scope and weighing in excess of 22lbs with both hands until it's safe in the cradle of the ring. Then with both hands free to secure it. :eek:

I don't have a problem with my 6" newt cos of it's size but where i tighten the dovetail there is paint missing on the dovetail bar. That in itself though marks where i need to place it anyway.

Hi

I prefer to leave the rings on, as ive found that adusting the rings can throw the alignment out. (The 8th collimation Knob i now call this). Saves having to balance it every time too. It does get easier offering it up to the mount, but I still ocassionally have to shuffle about to get in line. Yes I have the odd paint chip, its unavoidable. If it ever gets that bad a lit run a touch up wont be to much effort.

As for storage, I store mine vertically, primary mirror down . I made a custom stand from the packaging the scope came in. Basically took the round foam bits and boxed them in some chipboard. Thinking about sticking some bolts either side to hang the mount weights on, for extra extra stability.

Tried the method used by Mark and Tony last night for the first time and I must say I preferred it to mounting the tube with the rings attached. As always there are many different ways of achieving the same end, and with setting up I'm beginning to learn that its a good idea to establish a routine and stick to it - less chance of forgetting something.

I store my tube horizontally, using the foam supports at each end that came with the box. Its covered with an old cotton bed sheet to keep the dust off and let any condensation dry out.

Roy

Confidence is an issue. Leaving my "baby" (even a humble MAK150!) to the mercies of "screw threads", overnight, in an observatory, took some doing. <G> In similar spirit of neurosis, I may yet drill and tap the HEQ5 clamp for a LOOSE fitting M6 bolt through the dovetail bars... :eek:

Archived