SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazing live

inksmithy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Insider information??

Might be worth opening up the For Sale section (viewing only) to new users during that period so last years Stargazing Live members can flog off their old gear to the new influx of members.

Might be worth opening up the For Sale section (viewing only) to new users during that period so last years Stargazing Live members can flog off their old gear to the new influx of members.

I'm sure there will be many who had a dabble last year and now have scopes gathering dust too. I think it's like guitar playing. So many get an electric guitar at christmas and never learn to play, however those that do stick it out tend to be dedicated to their hobby.

We start filming the next #Wonders in September, it's about 'Life', it'll be 5 parts; the science of natural history
Heck, aren't there any photogenic biologists (astronomers) now, either? Though I suppose, in my day,

N0T - Unless you were into blokes with "beards and sandals". [teasing] :BangHead:

please no Jonathon Ross!

If they want a newbie celeb can they please leave out JR and replace him with James May. I think James would be splendid. Light humoured but still take it seriously. Can't be too hard to get him if he's willing as he works for Auntie anyway.

Oh great news the dates have been confirmed. :BangHead:

So, since we've got some warning this time (if they do the same as the first series, they appeared to have filler footage filmed in December - so I guess they planned / mapped out the programmes some months earlier), what contributions should WE be making to get some real amateurs either in front of the camera, or to promote some real, actual, honest-to-god amateur astronomy. You know: with actual telescopes an' stuff?

So, since we've got some warning this time (if they do the same as the first series, they appeared to have filler footage filmed in December - so I guess they planned / mapped out the programmes some months earlier), what contributions should WE be making to get some real amateurs either in front of the camera, or to promote some real, actual, honest-to-god amateur astronomy. You know: with actual telescopes an' stuff?

Go and film some footage at the Kelling Autumn Equinox Star Party would be a good start.

Perhaps arrange to meet some local clubs on their obs night, let the public see what is actually involved with amateur astronomy.

Go visit one of the imaging gurus and see them at work.

Get some footage from a US Star Party.....that would be awesome. Are they too late for Texas Star Party?

If they want a newbie celeb can they please leave out JR and replace him with James May. I think James would be splendid. Light humoured but still take it seriously. Can't be too hard to get him if he's willing as he works for Auntie anyway.

Oh great news the dates have been confirmed. :BangHead:

I think it was on top gear he recently said he doesn't care about the sun and how it all works etc, can't remember exactly what was said. I like him but I was really disappointed with his ignorance. reminded me of clarkson's attitude towards the environment etc but thats just me i suppose. As you say though please no JR

I think it was on top gear he recently said he doesn't care about the sun and how it all works etc, can't remember exactly what was said. I like him but I was really disappointed with his ignorance. reminded me of clarkson's attitude towards the environment etc but thats just me i suppose. As you say though please no JR

That must be his Top Gear persona to fit in with the others. Wouldn't be cool on a lads programme to show an interest i suppose. I've seen him on other things, including a couple of his own space travel related programs and he shows a genuine interest.

That must be his Top Gear persona to fit in with the others. Wouldn't be cool on a lads programme to show an interest i suppose. I've seen him on other things, including a couple of his own space travel related programs and he shows a genuine interest.

Yeah your probably right. Let's start a campaign to get him on lol

Hasn't JR been sacked from the BBC now anyway?

Yeah your probably right. Let's start a campaign to get him on lol

Hasn't JR been sacked from the BBC now anyway?

I think JRs contract just expired, he wasnt sacked - in fact I think it had expired when he did the last SGLive. But agree he was totally unsuitable other than the fact he had a telescope his wife had brought as a gift for him and he hadn`t used it. Even when he viewed Jupiter through the DOB he didnt seem overly impressed. How about Stephen Fry? He can draw viewers (which was JRs original purpose) AND is pretty intelligent to boot and seems to embrace all manner of hobbies/interests - and he is on the payroll.

Lets hope it isn`t cloudy this time.

I agree, James May would be brilliant on Stargazing Live. I'm not sure about the idea of Stephen Fry, if he's anything like when he was on The Infinite Monkey Cage he'd just be annoying.

Talking of The Infinite Monkey Cage, Robin Ince would be even better than James May, though he may not be well known enough for the BBC's liking.

Anyway, it's good news that it's coming back for another series, it'll mean people won't think I'm weird for liking astronomy! Well, at least for a couple of weeks until they forget about the programme...

I'm not sure about the idea of Stephen Fry,

Yes, he's a bit "Marmite" and could be a bit pompous for a hands-on, techy type programme. Given that you'd want a presenter that people like, to attract the non-believers, how about a newsreader? Hasn't Louise Minchin done some sittingroom-science stuff before?

Might be worth getting in touch with the production company and asking if they might be interested in visting one of the big star parties to show the friendly amateur aspect.

Skiddins

I agree, James May would be brilliant on Stargazing Live. I'm not sure about the idea of Stephen Fry, if he's anything like when he was on The Infinite Monkey Cage he'd just be annoying.

Talking of The Infinite Monkey Cage, Robin Ince would be even better than James May, though he may not be well known enough for the BBC's liking.

Anyway, it's good news that it's coming back for another series, it'll mean people won't think I'm weird for liking astronomy! Well, at least for a couple of weeks until they forget about the programme...

Robin Ince would be good but not for drawing the viewers in. They should have guest presenters on each night IMO, I'm all for the James May idea and like the sound of Brian May or Patrick Moore or popping in. I doubt we really have a choice though and I'm sure it'll be good.

Might be worth getting in touch with the production company and asking if they might be interested in visting one of the big star parties to show the friendly amateur aspect.

Skiddins

I believe they have already contacted some "star party" organisers.

I would prefer to have Brian May than James May. Brian is a Phd in Astro physics and would be ideal!!

Archived