Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTA help

Hiya all.

I have just had one of these from FLO arrive today.

The tube rings seem to have some kind of plastic plate screwed to them. The bottom of the plate has 3 screwholes.

What is the plate for as it seems I should unscrew it to get the rings mounted onto the mounts mounting bar.

Is this correct ? the heq5 maual says to "fasten the tube rings to the mount with the 10mm wrench provided"

The wrench provided with the mount doesnt fit those screws and only a philips type screwdriver came with the scope.

Please help

Andy

Yes I got an ST80 recently too. That plastic block is a poor excuse for a dovetail bar - I changed mine straight away for a proper one :eek:

Cheers for the reply.

So can i just unscrew the block then attach the rings onto the dovetail that came with the Heq5 or is it not that simple?

Andy

Yes I got an ST80 recently too. That plastic block is a poor excuse for a dovetail bar - I changed mine straight away for a proper one :eek:

They stopped supplying a proper dovetail with the ST80?

I problem I had with the couple of ST80's I had was that the tube was so short that you could not separate the tube rings enough to get even a short dovetail between them or enough space to bolt them straight onto the saddle of a mount.

I seem to remember using just a single tube ring to mount the scope.

Maybe the design has changed since my versions :eek:

The plastic block isnt really a dovetail as it doesnt have the taper its just a square block with 1/4" camera thread bush in the bottom so you can fit the scope to a camera tripod or head.

SW do a very short dovetail bar which will accept both rings and still fit the stubby scope tube.

Philj

I problem I had with the couple of ST80's I had was that the tube was so short that you could not separate the tube rings enough to get even a short dovetail between them or enough space to bolt them straight onto the saddle of a mount.

I seem to remember using just a single tube ring to mount the scope.

Maybe the design has changed since my versions :eek:

I had similar recently. I seperated the rings as far as possible but the rear ring sat on top of the ST80 tube screws because they sit proud. I had to channel out recesses to cater for the tube screws. I don't think the plastic section is a dovetail mount, I think it's for a tripod mount.

Yep i was not impressed, basically the ota rings not just bolt onto the supplied EQ1 akin to the AZ style.

But lets face is an ST80 belongs in Guide rings so no biggy :eek:

Did you get a proper Dovetail with your ST80?

I got mine last year (around December) and it came with that nasty plastic thing. I had to order a dovetail for it.

I'm sure I did. Mine is a blue one though.

Did you get a proper Dovetail with your ST80?

I got mine last year (around December) and it came with that nasty plastic thing. I had to order a dovetail for it.

Archived