Telescope vs Binoculars

Hello

I'm very keen to get into astronomy but haven't a clue how to operate my telescope...I've got a skywatcher 130pp. I can see the moon but nothing else. Also (I think because I haven't set it up properly) its very clunky. Its pointing out of a bedroom window giving a very limited view as well - not ideal when all combined!!

As a result I was thinking about getting some binoculars and am looking at an offer on the Adler Kosmos 15x70's. I was thinking that with these I'd be able to view the sky from the garden giving me access to a wider area. Does anyone know how lightweight this model actually is (the website says very) and also how much I'd actually be able to see. My main aim at the moment is to see the moon in around the same detail as my telescope and hopefully the rings of Saturn as I've never been able to find it using my telescope...

Hope someone can help! Thanks.

Welcome to SGL.

15x70 bino's will not give you the same view as your telescope. I would doubt that the rings of Saturn would be any more visible than just an "oval" planet - whereas in the scope you should be able to clearly see the rings.

Your best bet is to take the scope out into the garden, veiwing through a window (open or closed) is a bad idea, the temperature difference between the outside and indoors will cause a viewing headache. Also as you mentioned you also have a very limited area of sky.

The 130P will give nice views of more than the moon and planets, star clusters will also be very nice and some of the brighter galaxies will also be visible as faint smudges.

If you have some specific question on how to use certain bits of the scope and mount then just fire away and we'll do out best to get you on the right track.

Welcome to SGL :eek:

Cheers

Ant

Thanks Ant. I've contacted our local astronomy group in the hope that someone can help guide me in setting it up as I don't know where to start really - azimuths, polar alignments, even the red dot finder bears no resemblence to the image I actually see! Its all a bit daunting as a beginner with no previous experience...

Do you think the binoculars are worth having though as an extra bit of kit? I know I won't be able to see things as clearly as a telescope but will I be able to see anything worth seeing do you think? I know that I'm asking for an opinion and that this is obviously only your own view, but would value you thoughts please (or anyone elses!).

Thanks again!

Where abouts are you?

A lot of people have a pair of binoculars as well as a scope. Binoculars give a wide field view, alot different to what can be achieved by most telescopes.

There are alot of guides floating around on the net, try googling and see what comes up, if not just ask your questions here and I'm sure they will get answered.

I always start out every evening with binoculars (Celestron Skymaster 15x70) to check out the sky before any telescope goes out (and sometimes none do go out). I also use them as an aide to finding things in the sky to view with my scopes. Sometimes I just enjoy the sky with my binoculars. BTW, I had binoculars (Bushnell 10x50) before I ever owned a scope - I used them to learn the sky.

Good Luck!

Jenniej, to repeat Doc's comment, where abouts are you?

It helps to have some idea where a person is as there may be a SGL group in the area or someone may know of a good club that is local.

Pointing a scope out of a window is not great, the view is limited and if the scope is a reflector then with the mirror being at the rear makes the potential viewing angle less.

Really sounds as if you "simply" need to be shown how to set the scope up and use the basics. So I wouldn't panic overly.

One small concern is that with the light nights astro clubs tend to be quiet at this time of year.

Binoculars are a good item to have available but they do not replace a scope. The use you would put them to is different. A standard set of 8x42 bird watching binoculars is pretty good.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm in Hertfordshire, just outside Hertford. I think I'll take the advice and research the binoculars and learn the skies that way and take some more time to try to get to grips with the scope later...Learn to walk first! Thanks again everyone.

@jenniej - your scope is larger than mine, and probably in more of a working condition...and i can see saturn, its rings and 1-2 moons...you should be able to find it, its the 5th brightest thing in the nightsky at the moment :eek:

Thanks Banner001 - that was my point - that with limited sky viewing space (outside of a side window), no experience of astronomy / telescopes and not knowing how to set it up properly - I'm not seeing anything much so wanted a general opinion on whether the binoculars I was thinking of buying were going to be worth the investment. I should be able to see all sorts with my telescope as I believe its a good one - but what's the point of a car if you don't know how to drive.....Hopefully one day soon I'll learn to use it and be able to see Saturn!

Thanks Banner001 - that was my point - that with limited sky viewing space (outside of a side window), no experience of astronomy / telescopes and not knowing how to set it up properly - I'm not seeing anything much so wanted a general opinion on whether the binoculars I was thinking of buying were going to be worth the investment. I should be able to see all sorts with my telescope as I believe its a good one - but what's the point of a car if you don't know how to drive.....Hopefully one day soon I'll learn to use it and be able to see Saturn!

first thing i would do is get that scope out into your garden, this serves two purposes 1. gives you a wider area of sky to look at and 2. gets you away from a source of heat (your house) that will cause distortions in the light.

IMO bino's would be a step backwards, you have hundreds of interestin things to look at with ypur current scope, you want to be increasing in apperture, not decreasing :eek:

I think the trouble is that us "amateur" astronomers easily forget how daunting our first experiences were with our first scope and more so EQ mount. I can understand where JennieJ is coming from with the interest in astronomy not necessarily meaning she has the same interest in the technical side brought on by complicated collimation, polar alignment etc. Binoculars are more user friendly often not requiring collimation and being more of a point and go piece of equipment. Another thing often over looked by amateurs is getting your bearings using often flipped or reversed images at the ep that only adds to the confusion of trying to navigate the night sky.

Most astronomers have a pair of binoculars so it will not be money wasted as long as a little research is done in to the product. I often use my binoculars if the skies are unsteady or if there is patchy cloud. At least this way JennieJ can get a feel for the sky while learning to use the scope for the more demanding of night sky objects.

I good star atlas (or software), a pair of 10x50 bins and spending some time out in the garden (with you scope too) will work wonders. You will soon be able to find all sorts of things. The bins wont show you views like a scope but help you find your way around. Once you know a few constellations and bright stars things will become much easier.Start on the Moon and Saturn but you probably want to move on to other things. Keep going . Good luck

I spent a very enjoyable evening on top of a mountain in North Wales about 3 weekends back with just a pair of 15x70 Revelations and a pair of 10x30 nikons. It was surprising how much light pollution there was even there on the horizon but overhead, wow. I discovered Mel 111, an open star cluster near Ursa major. The Beehive cluster looked beautiful too. I could also see the double cluster in perseus, Saturn and a host of other interesting things to view.

Thanks again guys, and Spaceboy thank you for your post which totally sums up the problems I'm experiencing. I think the binoculars will be a great way to quell the initial impatience to see things and as I start to understand more of what I'm seeing I expect I'll be more compelled to get to grips with the jargon / technology because I'll want to progress further.

I'm off to a hamlet in France soon that has no street lighting and you can't even see your hand at night so will see what I can see with the bins - quite looking forward to it following your post BazMark!

Thanks again everyone - I think I'll buy the binoculars and persevere with the scope.

hi jenniej, i have exactly the same scope as you, do not be phased by it at all, set it up in your garden during the day, follow the book and take your time learning what each knob etc does, especially the mount, (which i found was the most daunting).

get a compass and find out which direction your garden is facing and download Stellarium and can learn "whats going on in your back garden", im new to this myself and learning all the time, any questions you have im more than happy to help, even though there might be more experienced people at hand.

Welcome.

Have you thought about joining your local astro club? Im sure they would be more than willing to help you get to grips with your scope. Its would be a shame if you didnt use it. I'm sure you would pick it all up in no time.

Also, going outdoors is a must.

Archived