Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good DSLR but is this a good price?

hayju01

You could probably save yourself a bit more by going for a 1000D or even the new 1100D. A lot depends on what exactly you want to use it for. How many of the "bells & whistles" of the three-digit Canons are of use to astrophotographers?

If you simply want a camera body for AP, and perhaps are contemplating removal/replacement of the IR cut-off filter there are plenty of bargains to be had on second-hand bodies. It's unlikely the ability to record 720p HD video will be of much use to an astrophotographer ;)

I may be teaching my granny to suck eggs, but whoever you decide to buy from I strongly suggest you google the vendor to get an idea of their track record / reliability before proceeding. For example searching on "Name of Vendor Reviews" should give you enough info to form an opinion as to whether the saving is worth the risk or whether paying an extra tenner to someone else will give you greater peace of mind.

I may be teaching my granny to suck eggs, but whoever you decide to buy from I strongly suggest you google the vendor to get an idea of their track record / reliability before proceeding. For example searching on "Name of Vendor Reviews" should give you enough info to form an opinion as to whether the saving is worth the risk or whether paying an extra tenner to someone else will give you greater peace of mind.

Very valid point! £400 is alot of money too lose to save £50 !

I've ordered an EOS 600D (rotateable viewfinder and HD video) from Dabs who were the cheapest and have been selling stuff on-line reliably for donkeys - and have been able to check order status regularly (not in stock unfortunately) and seen the other stuff I ordered readied. You def need to check out suppliers first - Amazon for customer service though they can be dearer on some things.

Archived