Just starting up on Astronomy

As per title I am justing starting up with the hobby of Astronomy which until has always been of interest.

I want to invest in a telescope at entry level to study planets, moons, nebula, star systems and hope I can get some good advice on the best telescope to start my hobby.

I have a budget of £400, and understand that I may have to invest in barlow lens & moon filter for the best results.

As mentioned I am a complete beginner, and have no idea where to start. I have researched that for entry level a Refractor Telescope with Go To capability could be my best option.

I would be very grateful on any advice on the what equipment I shoudl be looking at!

Thank you

Andy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would recommend the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P (8") leaving you with just over a hundred to accessorize the scope i.e a right angled finder and a Telrad red dot finder. The latter is used to get you very near your chosen object with the angled finder taking you to the actual spot from which you can enjoy the view from the main eyepiece. A finder does come with this scope but it's the straight through variety which will give you neck ache after a while. This dobsonian will allow you to put most of your money into the optics rather than sharing it with the costs of an equatorial mount. This will of course mean you have to nudge the scope along as you follow your object through the sky, particularly at higher magnifications. Later on, you can take it off its dobsonian mount, put rings on it and attach it to a mount like a HEQ5 which will have the necessary bells and whistles on should you want to upgrade the kit. Your budget could buy a smaller scope on a smaller equatorial mount but if you interest grows you will need to increase both the aperture of the scope and then as a result, have to get a bigger mount. My suggestion would mean that you can get some good views from the start (be it with manual handling) and upgrade the mount when funds permit.

Hope that helps.

James

Hi Andy,

I have to agree with James - the 200 P would be a brilliant choice. It meets all my requirements for a good beginner scope:

1. Easy to store, set up and transport. You can put this scope into action in just minutes and get great views right in the back garden.

2. Very easy to operate - and almost impossible to do something wrong and damage your equipment out of ignorance. (just don't drop any rocks down the tube, and you'll be OK! :D )

3. Plenty of WOW! factor - this scope will show you amazing views of the planets, the Moon, and thousands of deep sky objects are within your grasp.

A wide angle, low power eyepiece (32 -40mm) would be good for deep sky objects, a high power (5-9mm) EP for planetary and lunar work, a Lunar filter, red LED torch, EP case, and a good star map are all good starter accessories.

If you haven't been to the local astro club - I highly recommend you look them up and drop in. Lots of friends there you haven't met yet to help you out and let you have a go on their kit before you buy.

I hope that helps,

Dan

One thing I'd like to add is that if you're very new to astronomy and looking to get equipment. I'd also factor in cost of a red torch, planisphere, reading material such as the book 'Turn Left at Orion', maybe a good set of bino's like 10x50's and lens cleaning equipment to go with that scope.

I've found that all those items help when out there scanning and learning the skies, although I'll admit I haven't got the book Turn Left at Orion, it comes highly recommended on here, I've just got a few other basic guide books at present. Oh and if you decide to go for a Newtonian/Dobosonian then you'd have to factor collimation tools as well.

Thought I'd throw that out there as it's more then just buying a scope to get the most out of the night sky. :D

I agree with the 200P enthusiasts. The 127 will indeed be great on the moon and planets but many astronomical views are large, wide affairs and a short focal length allows you to enjoy them without recourse to very costly widefield eyepices.

Olly

I have a 200P dob and it's a really good telescope which I expect to keep me going for a long time to come. It's easy and simple to use, giving excellent value for money - simple mount, so the money is in the optics :D

However, if you really want a telescope with goto, then the Skymax 127 is very popular too. In fact I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these myself, so I can enjoy the planets even more than I do with my dob...might even have a bash at webcamming too :p

It depends on what you want, just bear in mind the pros and cons.

I would be very grateful on any advice on the what equipment I shoudl be looking at!

Thank you

Andy

Hi Andy welcome to SGL.

As you can see there are many (conflicting) advice on a 'first' telescope. Don't worry, I was feeling like that as well a couple of months back. And I still haven't got a scope yet!

The advice above, like 200mm reflector on Dobsonian mount, or 127mm Maksutov design on a motorized mount are all correct.

That is, depending on your situation, one may be more correct than the other.

In the end as with any decision it's all about trade-offs. That is why your £400 could end up on a big scope like 200mm or smaller on 127mm.

So how to make a decision? Well, we need to consider more factors than just aperture size.

Firstly you haven't mentioned where are you going to most of your observing. Is it your backyard? A club site? Do you have a car or are you biking or walking.

Next also is storage of your scope in between sessions. Do you have space to store a large scope? Are you happy carrying it from storage to site and back?

There are some basic rules of course, like the bigger size the better is almost universal everywhere. That is why some people just advised you to go with a 200mm with a simple mount. That way your money is not being spent on electronics.

On the other hand you may not be able to handle a big scope because to reach your observing site you need to take two flights of stairs for example.

So portability now comes into play. The 127 Maksutov design suggested is one way of achieving this. Versatile, small, and light. Yes the 200mm would show more, but if you can't be bothered to lug it about, then the 127mm you are happy using would be better.

In the end, as many here puts it: the best scope is the one you use!

Hi Andy welcome to SGL.

As you can see there are many (conflicting) advice on a 'first' telescope. Don't worry, I was feeling like that as well a couple of months back. And I still haven't got a scope yet!

The advice above, like 200mm reflector on Dobsonian mount, or 127mm Maksutov design on a motorized mount are all correct.

That is, depending on your situation, one may be more correct than the other.

In the end as with any decision it's all about trade-offs. That is why your £400 could end up on a big scope like 200mm or smaller on 127mm.

So how to make a decision? Well, we need to consider more factors than just aperture size.

Firstly you haven't mentioned where are you going to most of your observing. Is it your backyard? A club site? Do you have a car or are you biking or walking.

Next also is storage of your scope in between sessions. Do you have space to store a large scope? Are you happy carrying it from storage to site and back?

There are some basic rules of course, like the bigger size the better is almost universal everywhere. That is why some people just advised you to go with a 200mm with a simple mount. That way your money is not being spent on electronics.

On the other hand you may not be able to handle a big scope because to reach your observing site you need to take two flights of stairs for example.

So portability now comes into play. The 127 Maksutov design suggested is one way of achieving this. Versatile, small, and light. Yes the 200mm would show more, but if you can't be bothered to lug it about, then the 127mm you are happy using would be better.

In the end, as many here puts it: the best scope is the one you use!

Spot on. I chose the 127 slt cuz I live in flats and it has goto which I wanted for easy finds. It's all down to what you want my friend.

Thank you for all your responses and advice. As "Ismangil" states there is probably more information to be taken into consideration.

Storage is no issue as have spare room with plenty of space. have transport, and more than happy to carry about to get the very best out of my investment. My aim is use mostly in backyard, but intend to venture out whenever possible so eliminate the affect of "citylights" to my viewing pleasure. I have signed up with my local Astronomy Society with the intention to go out on the various fieldtrips they do periodically.

Astronomy is a very expensive hobby, and really want get as much as I can out of the investment so I do not foresee any restrictions. I am a bit wary about not going for "Go To" technology and having a lesser scope but know if I leave this until budget allows I could benefit in buying a larger scope and seeing more & possibly better. My concern being of course that I buy a larger scope and get frustrated that I do not have the ability to locate, and view objects I am trying to view.

Andy

You could benefit from a goto then. In time you will know where to look and then go for an upgrade. Some thing big without goto but that's a later date.

This is what I'm hoping to do next year or so.

It is such a tough decision these days. Make sure you get as much information on both before making an informed decision.

In the end I went for the 200P Dob. So easy to get it into the car and setup it was perfect for me. Gives really nice views, seen jupiter with moons, saturn with moons and seen plenty of Deep Space objects too with the standard eye pieces. It comes in at about £275 so well under budget. Also great to learn the sky with. Out of the rest of the money I would recomend getting a barlow and maybe moon filter. As an optional a laser colimator would make colimating much simple but thats more of a luxury. There are cheaper ways to do it if you're on a budget. :D

If you did want to try your hand at imaging, there wouldn't be anything stopping you from mounting it (on a substantal EQ mount) and using that.

Good luck with whichever you go for and I hope you enjoy your hobby as much as we all do.

Don't worry about GoTo technology, if you really want it, you can adapt almost any scope to that by buying the correct mount and 'remounting' your telescope.

One option that may split the difference for you, would be an 'intelligent' dob. You can get "Push-To" computer systems for a dobsonian that are much cheaper than a motorized GoTo. The little (cigarette pack size) computer is attached to your scope and reads its rotation and "points and prompts" you to push it the right direction until you find the target. It has all the "find it for me" advantages of GoTo, but without motors and an EQ mount, it is far less complex - and much less expensive.

You can click the link < HERE > to see a similar model - the link is for Orion USA, but if you print it out and show it to your local dealer, they will know what sort of scope you want. The price for this is about $530, I think that would be close to 400 pounds with the current value of the dollar.

Keep in mind that once you buy the scope, you can add little accessories like eyepieces, filters, etc. in little bits as you go along. Buying the scope should be done once, and done right! :D

I hope that helps some.

Dan

T

Astronomy is a very expensive hobby... I am a bit wary about not going for "Go To" technology ... My concern being of course that I buy a larger scope and get frustrated that I do not have the ability to locate, and view objects I am trying to view.

Andy

I would say that astronomy CAN be a very expensive hobby, but it does not HAVE to be.

Here's another thought: do you use an iPhone or Android smartphone? Then you can use a planetarium app, point it around the sky and you can match up the pattern quite easily. Point your large Dobsonian scope where it points, there you go, GOTO technology! :D

Hi Jandy100 - how about starting with a pair of bins? Quite cheap and give's you a bit of time to learn the night sky, or part of it.

Also give's you plenty of time to decide on your scope. I'm still waiting to get my scope although I know what I'm getting now but I'm still using bins

Ad Astra, Do you know if they sell the "push to" seperately or have any more information on this. It's something I have never heard of but I would be intrested in considering the cost involved in an EQ platform or an HEQ5 mount.

I was trying to decide between GOTO or manual and in the end wanted better views for my money so went manual and it does have it's moments where you can't find what you are looking for.

There is nothing more amazing than catching that first glimpse of your targeted object and there have even better nights where I have spend over an hour trying to find something and then found it and jumped from the scope on the verge of cheering and punching the air before realising it's 2am.

I am now about to make my own setting circles for my dobsonian and this should make it much easier to find things.

The choice is yours in the end, do what you want and are happy with.

Be warm and safe,

Neil

Ignore my last post. Looked at Orion and a few posts and they don't appear to make and sell the mount with GOTO sperately. Shame SkyWatcher don't either. I'm sure there would be plenty of takers.

Ad Astra, Do you know if they sell the "push to" seperately or have any more information on this. It's something I have never heard of but I would be intrested in considering the cost involved in an EQ platform or an HEQ5 mount.

Hello Rover,

You want to search for Digital Setting Circles. JMItelescopes.com has them, I think a company called Argo Navis also sells kits. Most of these manufacturers have kit parts that will adapt the product for most common mounts, but you will have to talk to them about your exact requirements - each scope/mount is a bit different.

Good luck,

Dan

Thanks for evreyones advice & comments. After reviewing comments on this foum plus advice from Astronomy Society members I have sort of pulled together a shortlist.

Sky-Watcher Explorer 150P (EQ3-2)

150MM (6") F/750 Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope

Specifications:

Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x30, x60, x75, x150

Highest Practical Power (potential):x300

Diameter of Primary Mirror: 150mm

Telescope Focal Length: 750mm (f/5)

Tube assembly available separately

Supplied complete with 10mm & 25mm eyepieces

6x30 finderscope

x2 Barlow lens 1.25" (with camera adaptor)

Parabolic Primary Mirror

0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports

Direct SLR Camera Connection

EQ3-2 Deluxe Equatorial Mount

Built in Polar Alignment Scope Holder

Aluminium Tripod with Accessory Tray

33% more Light Gathering than 130mm

Tube rings and dovetail mounting bar

Sky-Watcher Explorer 150PL (EQ3-2)

150mm (6") f/1200 Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope

Specifications

Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x48, x96, x120 & x240

Highest Practical Power (Potential): x300

Diameter of Primary Mirror: 150mm

Telescope Focal Length: 1200mm (f/8)

Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

X2 Deluxe Barlow Lens 1.25" (with Camera Adaptor)

Parabolic Primary Mirror

6x30 Finderscope

EQ3-2 Deluxe Equatorial Mount

Built-in Polar Alignment Scope Holder

Aluminium Tripod with Accessory Tray

33% more Light Gathering than 130mm

SkyWatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 200mm Newtonian Reflector Telescope

Specifications:

Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x40, x80, x100, x200

Highest Practical Power (Potential): x400

Diameter of Primary Mirror: 200mm

Telescope Focal Length: 1000mm (f/5)

Eyepiece Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

x2 Deluxe Barlow Lens 1.25" (with Camera Adaptor)

Dual-Fit 1.25"/2" Focuser

Parabolic Primary Mirror

9x50 Finderscope

EQ5 Deluxe Heavy-Duty Equatorial Mount

Built-in Polar Alignment Scope Holder

1.75" Stainless Steel Pipe Tripod with Accessory Tray

77% more Light Gathering than 150mm

I have considered ease of set up, use, maintenance, ability to transport around on society fieldtrips, and considered future investment for accessories or upgrading.

Any further thoughts & comments would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Andy

My advice would be don't buy a scope just yet, as mentioned above visit you nearest club and have a look what others are using, ask if you can havea look through a couple and ask lots of questions, if it's anything like our club you'll have half a dozen people giving you advice. Also speak to some of the smaller suppliers like FLO who sponsor this site. Martin or Steve at FLO will give you free unbiased advice. (no I don't work for them but I did buy most of my gear there). I found it very confusing at first as you get a lot of conflicting advice. Be warned my budget was originally £400 ish and I ended up spending £1600 and I'm still planing to spend more!

Good luck

Archived