NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M5 Love

sbooder

Hi All,

I am such a cluster tart, I have found a new love, yes I still have feelings for M13, but I am having my first ever views of M5, and I am in love all over again...M10 and M12 are not high enough yet, so I could be unfaithful all over again by the end of the session.

Hi All,

I am such a cluster tart, I have found a new love, yes I still have feelings for M13, but I am having my first ever views of M5, and I am in love all over again

I agree, there's something about M5 which I found even more "wow" than M13, when I saw it for the first time recently.

I agree.

M5 is a truly magnificent sight, and strangely neglected. M13 is always cited as being the best globular visible in the northern hemisphere, but M5 is bigger and, in my view, much more spectacular. Hope you don't mind if I show off a pic of it here

I agree.

M5 is a truly magnificent sight, and strangely neglected. M13 is always cited as being the best globular visible in the northern hemisphere, but M5 is bigger and, in my view, much more spectacular. Hope you don't mind if I show off a pic of it here

Ooh, I don't think that is off topic. Nice pic. It is a stunning object.

I agree.

I agree, I think it has more character, I can make out the spiral pattern of stars through my dob and that sets it apart, for Northern sky globulars I would rank them M5, M3, M13, I am convinced I see pale blue when viewing M5 and M3. M53 is a challenge but going really deep NGC2419 globular gets a special place as the furthest out element of our galaxy that can be seen, really spikes my imagination when I manage to resolve it.

• 3 weeks later...

M22 is great, but still a bit low. M13 has a special place because it was my first globular and first DSO. I did do a little globular hunt recently, and M3, M5, M10, M12, M13, and M14 were all spotted, but through bins. Must have another look through the C8 to really appreciate them. I do not think M10 and M12 will easily tempt you away from M5 :). M22 might.

For REAL temptation there are 47 Tucanae and Omega Centauri. Once seen, never forgotten. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived