Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skyliner 200P

Hi,

Ive just noticed on someones signature that they have a Skywatcher skyliner 200p dob with (RDF). Can someone tell me what RDF is I only ask as this is the scope I think I will be ordering at the end of the month.

Thanks

Tim

When I got my 200P dob, just over 18 months ago, I found the supplied 9x50 finder confusing to use, so looked for an alternative. Wasn't keen on the Telrad or Rigel finders on the different websites, so bought a simple red dot finder instead from my local astro shop. Cost me £25, got a few spare batteries thrown in (still on the original), and the red dot has adjustable brightness.

It's nice and simple to use, which I like, and fits into the mounting shoe from the 9x50 finder, so there's no worries on fitting onto my telescope.

:D

Ok Thanks

Does the supplied finder flip the image north south east west? and also does the scope itself flip the image?.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I am a complete novice never owned a decent scope before.

Thanks

On the subject of the skywatcher skyliner 200p, is the mount on it easy to make small adjustments and to maunally track objects? I have an equatorial mount right now and I'm just wondering if I will be able to get used to it.

Thanks for any advice =]

On the subject of the skywatcher skyliner 200p, is the mount on it easy to make small adjustments and to maunally track objects? I have an equatorial mount right now and I'm just wondering if I will be able to get used to it.

Thanks for any advice =]

Once you have got the knack, yes it's easy. If if was not possible I doubt the dobsonian mount would be as popular as it is :p

It won't suit everyone of course so the only thing to do is have a go, ideally on someone elses dob, to see how it is for you :D

The view you will see through the eye piece is flipped N/S and E/W exactly the same as through the supplied finder.

It's funny, but I don't have any problem with the view through the eyepiece...it is what it is, so to speak :p

The finder though proved more confusing. I suppose because common sense told me that if the target was drifting left in the view, then I should nudge to the left....wrong!

RDF = easy life :D

Thanks for any advice =]

I found nudging to be simple and very intuitive. It literally is easier to do than to explain :p

Mind you, I'm really more of a drifter than a nudger. I place the target to the side of view in the eyepiece and literally let it drift across. This gives me plenty of time to focus on what I'm look at (pardon the pun) :D

You could just replace the standard straight through finder with a Right Angle correct image 9x50 finder which will show you views that are the right way round.

An RDF is also useful though to get you in the general area and then zero in with the 9x50 finder.

John

Could have done, but I wanted to go for the RDF and money was an issue.

Using the RDF with Stellarium etc..., and my 32mm search EP, I don't think I've missed out on any targets that the seeing would allow me to see, as it were :D

Archived