Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Purchase decided just need to double check I am going the right way

Ok so I have decided to get an 8" Dob and all the bits that I need to go with it.

My reason for this is that I want to do AP but cannot fford to buy an EQ6 yet and need to save for it - will take about 8 months so I want a scope I can use now whilst saving thus my choice of an 8" Dob.

Once I have my EQ6 I can then use the 8" Dob on it for AP.

Is my idea madness?

Thats what I am going to do, budget wont stretch to a good enough mount at the moment to use for ap. Someone on here advised that I could get the 200p now and upgrade the mount at a later date.

Tim

The 200P is a great size to get for a dob - and the idea of putting on EQ6 eventually is sound - it's well up to that tube. But you can allways get a loan, overdraft, hp, credit card, or sell one of the kids, and have the EQ6 now as well lol :D

lol Kim none of those ideas will happen I am afraid so saving it will have to be sadly. Hopefully I can get the Dob soon as hubby said I could have the cash sooner than November.

Need to work out all the bits to get now for it.

Compulsory accessory is a collimator - we'll show you how to do that at the field if you haven't allready sussed it.

Optional but extremely useful - Wixey angle guage and base setting circle - have a close look at Doc's 16" Lightbridge to see how it works - excellent pointing for under £30.

Also - Telrad finder and/or Right angled correct image (raci) finder are, very useful items. You might benefit from a dew shield if your back garden is light polluted but see how that one goes. It'll be the solid tube I assume so you won't need a shroud.

:D

Hi,

Where can you get the base setting circles I have had a look on flo and cant seem to find them?

No one makes them as far as I know, thats why you have to make your own.

Kim thanks for the info, the collimator and Telrad finder I will be buying same time I buy the Dob. Probably buy a few other bits also.

Husband told me July is the earliest I will be able to buy it :D

Sounds a good idea to me :D Buying a dob saves spending a large part of the scope price on a mount you are planning to replace.

Archived