Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Got Mizar, but not Mel 111

So a good clear sky, managed to see Mizar and Alcor, the fainter pair is not visible by naked eye from my backyard.

Still can't see anything where Coma Berenices should be, so no Melotte 111. Is it that faint?

Not that faint - you can see it with the naked eye once your night vision is in even in the LP skies of the south east. It is a very widespread cluster and should fill pretty much the whole FOV of your 10x50's - I can't get it all in my 20x80's.

I find it by using Alkaid and Arcturus and visualising an equilateral triangle - Mel 111 is the 3rd point. You can then go hunting for M3 which is more or less in the middle of this triangle but a little closer to Arcturus than Alkaid or Mel 111.

Rgds

Rob

Its adjacent to Leo as a diffuse, faint haze of stars a few degrees in diameter. As Rob points out, is visible to the naked eye depending on light pollution and cloud cover of course. Its a glorious sight in binos and a useful starting off point for globular cluster M53 and M64 the Black Eye Galaxy.

Good luck,

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I find it by using Alkaid and Arcturus and visualising an equilateral triangle - Mel 111 is the 3rd point. You can then go hunting for M3 which is more or less in the middle of this triangle but a little closer to Arcturus than Alkaid or Mel 111.

Rgds

Rob

I found Mel 111 last night on my first proper night with my new bins using this method, lovely and now I can just about make it out with naked eye even in my very light polluted back yard, thanks!

Still can't see anything where Coma Berenices should be, so no Melotte 111. Is it that faint?

Perry, did you see stars where Mel 111 should be? -- if so, you saw Mel 111. In some conditions it will just look like stars (which, of course, is what it is) and not have the same "feel" as a cluster, if you get my drift.

Hi All,

This forum just gets better and better......

Moving away from the Newbie section looking for a bigger scope, and into the other forums is fanatastic. There is something for everyone. I have those lidls binos so stopped here for inspiration.

I realise I'm jumping in on another's thread but the enthusiam and guidance is infectious - ok enough of my waffle...... I'm trying to locate your mel-111 in Stellerium but it doesn't show anything. I can see it pop up under the search box, copy and paste then slews to nothing.

Forgive me - carry on! :)

Hi All,

This forum just gets better and better......

Moving away from the Newbie section looking for a bigger scope, and into the other forums is fanatastic. There is something for everyone. I have those lidls binos so stopped here for inspiration.

I realise I'm jumping in on another's thread but the enthusiam and guidance is infectious - ok enough of my waffle...... I'm trying to locate your mel-111 in Stellerium but it doesn't show anything. I can see it pop up under the search box, copy and paste then slews to nothing.

It should slew to a group of stars, quite scattered about, in Coma. Most star charts do not show the "open cluster" symbol at that position (just like the Hyades).

Hi All,

Hi Timbo, that's OK no need to apologize... We're newbies so we're allowed to do anything :)

Find the constellation Coma Berenices first, Melotte 111 is at the eastern tip of the right-angle shape.

Hi Ismangil!

I did this one as a bino activity with my class at the beginning of the month. Try the activity sheet below, it will give you a good idea of how and where to find it.

Let us know how you get on!

Dan

Hi Dan

This is a great target sheet.

Would you be willing to add a few more in the beginners section, maybe start a specific thread?, so others can pick them up :)

Hi Dan

This is a great target sheet.

Would you be willing to add a few more in the beginners section, maybe start a specific thread?, so others can pick them up :)

Dan already has a thread where he posts these activities as they come along. I got it bookmarked somewhere...

• 1 month later...

Hello, I tried this method of aquisition last night with my Celestron 20x80 binocs. Works great! That section of the sky was bathed in skyglow due to my proximity to the city, but I found Mel111 right away. Also had a look at Cor Coroli.

Archived