Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 250P on HEQ5 mount.. OK?

Simms

I had a 250P on an EQ-4 for a while. It was wobbly but usable (just) - not recommended. Had some great views of Mars with that combo.

It was much more stable on the EQ-6, though I did find two counterweights were not enough.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 250P weighs in at about 12kg and the HEQ5 can take anything from 15-18kg (depends where you read it). So for visual use it would seem to be within the limits of the mounts capabilities. As for imaging DSO's its not going to produce good results but should be OK for planetary imaging.

Hi all, I was thinking that not being able to use this combo (HEQ5 Pro Synscan + 250P) for visual seemed a bit weird - someone even mentioned it wasnt great with a 200P, which means the next step down (reflectorwise) would be a 150P!! I already have that and find it fine for short unguided exposures with just the RA drive on the EQ3-2. Saying that I am not going to disregard what has been said as you guys know plenty more than me and its info like this that allows me to go into purchases well informed and knowing the limitation of the equipment. I might give FLO a call to see what they say as thats where I will probably buy my new OTA!

Simms, it was me mentioned that HEQ5 and 200P might not be too good as a combo. However, I'd got mixed up between threads I was posting to. If you look I mention HEQ5, 200P and a guidescope as I was posting to an imaging thread at the same time. Sorry about the confusion. HEQ5 and 200P is infact fine for visual.

Hi Glider - no worries mate, I wasn't taking a dig, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond - and it was very helpful! I have decided against the 250P for the HEQ5Pro and instead just going for the 200P - after searching I found a thread on here where someone purchased a HEQ5PRO + 250 and from the images it is a mighty beast . Also I found another thread where almost everyone who had that combo never really used it due to the size/weight and it actually marred theie enjoyment of astronomy - so 200P it is!

I have a 200P DS on an EQ5 PRO GOTO (not HEQ5) and its fine for visual, I even spoke to FLO before hand and they agreed it would be fine, I've had no visible wobble, but you maybe pushing it on EQ5 for AP. heq5 should be more than enough

I have a 200P DS on an EQ5 PRO GOTO (not HEQ5) and its fine for visual, I even spoke to FLO before hand and they agreed it would be fine, I've had no visible wobble, but you maybe pushing it on EQ5 for AP. heq5 should be more than enough

Cheers Jiggy - thanks for the input. Whilst I haveyour attention you couldn`t do me a favour could you? Go and measure the physical length of your 200PDS - just so I can get an idea..

Off to pick up my HEQ5 tonight!

Archived