Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DOB's a good 'un....hopefully!

Hi all!

Much excitement here, as, finally, after waiting for what feels like an absolute age, I finally took delivery of my very first scope today....

yep, the 200p Dob!:)

It's currently laying in it's two wonderfully big open boxes in my dining room...but that's as far as I've got so far, as my ability to assemble things has a dodgy past. ( The last thing I assembled, a coffee-table, ended up with three and a half legs, and lots of 'extra' holes! :o) Therefore, I am sitting on my hands, waiting for the OH to return from work, so that I can put my much better 'supervision' abilities to good use, and let him do all the fiddly bits!:eek:

The bad news??....yep, the new scope 'curse' has hit, (sorry guys!!), ...the weather is terrible! Total cloud cover, and no sign of reprieve, so it looks like my first light may be a while coming!!:eek:

Oh well....just glad its finally here!!! ( Thanks RVO!)

( And thanks to all on the forum for the great advice that led me to decide on my first ever scope!:) )

Vicky.

Cheers all!!

Finally got the Dob assembled, but unfortunately the weather just hasn't played ball tonight! Too cloudy to even bother taking it into the garden!!

I have this sudden fear that I have no idea what I'm doing, and will never be able to see a thing!!!:)

Just looking through the finder scope freaked me out!! 'upside down??'...was expecting this, but after using bino's, finding stuff is gonna be really tricky!! (I could only just find the bottom of me garden!!!:))

Plus, had a look down the tube and have no idea if the collimation is good or not....even though I've traipsed through dozens of threads on the subject. Actually looking at it is a bit different than reading about it!! Hopefully I'llget to star test it soon!!

Ok...that's about it, Gonna go and read the manual....again!!!:eek:

Nothing to worry about. When you get a clear bit of sky just point it up and take a gander :)

Our dobs hold collimation very well, in fact I need to go and buy myself a cheshire so I can do it for the first time to mine and I've had it for 18 months.

Enjoy!

Hi Vicky!

Merry Christmas, happy birthday, and congratulations on your new toy! :) (It's way better than when you were a kid, isn't it!)

The 'quick check' of collimation, extend the focuser and look down the focus tube (with NO eyepiece in there!). You should see your own eye, and a series of concentric circles of dark and light - sort of like an archery target. If you see your own eye, and the circles look even remotely concentric - I'd leave it alone for now.

You CAN look through your dob during the day - try a light post or the corner of a taller building at least 1/4 mile away - you'll see plenty.

Um... you have forgotten something very important! A few photos of the new baby for your mates here on SGL!!!

Dan

Nothing to worry about. When you get a clear bit of sky just point it up and take a gander :eek:

Our dobs hold collimation very well, in fact I need to go and buy myself a cheshire so I can do it for the first time to mine and I've had it for 18 months.

Enjoy!

Hi Vicky!

Merry Christmas, happy birthday, and congratulations on your new toy! :) (It's way better than when you were a kid, isn't it!)

The 'quick check' of collimation, extend the focuser and look down the focus tube (with NO eyepiece in there!). You should see your own eye, and a series of concentric circles of dark and light - sort of like an archery target. If you see your own eye, and the circles look even remotely concentric - I'd leave it alone for now.

Um... you have forgotten something very important! A few photos of the new baby for your mates here on SGL!!!

Dan

Thanks guys, that makes me feel a whole lot better!! Had a quick peep using the quick check, and all seems ok!!

And Dan, your wish is my command.......

Here's my new baby!!:)

post-25244-133877596123_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, that makes me feel a whole lot better!! Had a quick peep using the quick check, and all seems ok!!

And Dan, your wish is my command.......

Here's my new baby!!:eek:

looking good, im half-way to saving for my 300P :)

Great thread Adz!!:eek:

looking good, im half-way to saving for my 300P :)

Good luck Banner!! That will be a fabulous scope!! Well worth the wait!

Congrats on the new scope, I have one just like it :)

Seems to be on the cards for a clear night down here so hope you get a first light with the scope tonight. If not use the daytime to get your finderscope aligned so it points at the same centre as the view in the scope (I have the Aussie finderscope too - lol).

Congrats on the new scope, I have one just like it :)

Seems to be on the cards for a clear night down here so hope you get a first light with the scope tonight. If not use the daytime to get your finderscope aligned so it points at the same centre as the view in the scope (I have the Aussie finderscope too - lol).

Looking good here too!:eek: Tonight is the night!!!

Aligning the finderscope is turning out to be a bit tricky! I live in an enclosed garden, so my view is pretty much 'up', with no far objects to focus on....but I'm not too worried for tonight! Just gonna 'pan' about, and see what I can see!!!

Cheers, and clear skies!!

Vic.

Get yourself a red dot or a Rigel, depending on how much you have left to spend. They are more intuitive and a lot easier than a classic finderscope and you can still use the finder for fine tuning.

Archived