Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ashdown Forest

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

In the dark and distant past it was the site for what was probably the UKs first star parties. I am going back 20 years or so long before the Equinox Sky Camps at Thetford Forest (often regarded as the first UK offcial starprties). Not sure if it is used for a formal star party anymore but I moved from the South East 12 years ago so others may know.

Regards

Adrian

Thats a shame. It has a bit of altitude and apart from a couple small villages nearby, there is only East Grinstead, a small town 5 miles NNW. I would have thought it quite dark. I might have to have a reccy up there one evening with the binos (and try not get arrested).

It still is used for Astrocamp during August, over the Perseid maximum. I attended from 1987-1991. And i know from Facebook that my old astro club still attend and were certainly there in 2010. The camp is just up the hill from Forest Row.

No it was at Hindleap Warren in the middle of trees. It still does run but is an invitation only event as far as I know. I have not been for a very long time. It went on over a week.

Owen

It is indeed invitation only now. Back in the day it was part run by Brighton Astronomy Group. But Norman Fisher (sadly deceased now) was the main man behind it. I think his son has taken over the reigns. But in the 80's it was the premier SP for the UK and very well attended. '87 was a classic year with Heather Cooper and Nigel Henbest camping there.

EDA (Edenbridge & District Astronomers) use the car-parks there, as do I. I believe that a south coast group does occasionally as well.

There is a limitation in place not to use the car-parks after midnight, but no doubt this could be negotiated with the Ashdown Forest Conservators.

Regards,

Harry.

blimey an adder. never saw one in the 4 years i camped there (propably best i didn't). and to think one night it was so warm i slept outside the tent. didn't wake until 11am. the things could have been slithering all around me. yikes!

The conservators came back to me and suggested that I get in touch with Ewell Astro Soc. Little bit far for me, so Edenbridge and District are looking good. Are you a member Harry?

Yes - I am.

I'll send a message rather than post an email here.

Regards,

Harry.

Never knew there was snakes in the wild in the UK...

We have 3 snakes in the UK:

Adder - Britain's only venomous snake

Grass snake - non venomous

Smooth snake - non venomous

Plus many people mistake the Slow worm for a snake.

Never seen an Adder myself but seen 4 Grass snakes. One was dead, another i almost run over with the car, one was basking in the sun in the New Forest and gave my son a shock and the final one we saw at the weekend in Titchfield nature reserve. They are great to see, amazing looking animals.

Never seen an Adder myself

There are several places in the New Forest where they can be found. Most reliable (i.e. where I've seen them many times) seems to be here. Which is surprising, because there's often a lot of people around.

Could you keep us posted, this is only abour 1hr away so for long weekends it could be an idea? thanks for the heads up

I have come to the conclusion that it is best to join a club to observe here. The conservators said that the Ewell Astro. Soc. attend every month, they are only a few miles from you. You might want to contact them.

I just looked at the Ewell Astro web site and it shows that their monthly meetings are at Headley Heath which is in the Box Hill area.

Maybe they don't make it public, earlier posts say that clubs keep this venue as invitation only.

The conservators where quite specific, giving dates etc.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived