NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Android astronomy apps

Hi all, not sure if this is in the right forum :D

Just thought I'd list some free apps I've found on the market. I'm sure they're not of use to all but some might find them useful. Also thought it might be a place to list similar apps that people might find useful. I've included links, I don't work for Appbrain :evil1:

Obviously there's Google Sky Map :)Google Sky Map - Android app on AppBrain

Here are some more I've found:

SkEye

SkEye - Android app on AppBrain

SkEye is an advanced sky mapping (planetarium) application that also works as a PUSHTO guide for telescopes.

The handheld-mode is similar to Google SkyMap. However, when switched to indirect-mode it doubles as a PUSHTO guide for telescopes. The PUSHTO system uses the phone's sensors alone. All you need to do is strap the phone onto the telescope's OTA temporarily.

Other features:

• Real time Alt and Azimuth coordinates

• Messier objects

• Bullseye recticle with coordinates of target

• Major star names

• Constellation lines and labels

• Night Mode (only in Android 2.2)

• Multiple locations that are saved between sessions

• Search function with guiding reticle

• Alt-azimuth grid.

Messier Objects

Messier Objects - Android app on AppBrain

This astronomy app lets you, the amateur astronomer, record and keep track of your night sky findings of the Messier Objects.

Messier Objects now link directly to the Google Sky Map, which allows you to find any where your favorite Object is!

Planets Position

Planets Position - Android app on AppBrain

Planets Position is a program to calculate the position of the planets in the night sky based on a given location on Earth.

Individual planet's positions can be calculated for any time between the years 1900 to 2100 and a list of planets currently up is also calculated.

Heavens Above

Heavens Above - Android app on AppBrain

This application reveals all iridium flares and satelittes (including international space station and amateur radio satellites) passing by at your location.

An auto-adjusting compass pointing in the direction of the satellite or flare helps you tracing the object.

Notifications can be enabled to warn you whenever a satellite of interest passes by.

Where is Io

Where is Io - Android app on AppBrain

Where is Io is an Astronomy application that calculates information on bodies in the solar system.

It provides rise and set visualizations and times for all the planets, and a spiro-graph view of the moons of Jupiter over the next few days.

I hope this is of use to some of you.

Best wishes,

Badgeranduni.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi keef.

Sorry to hear that. I'm away from my pc at the moment but will check them ASAP. In the mean time you could search for them on the appbrain website. I didn't check the links as I lifted them straight from their website! Can't trust anyone :D

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Another one:

Solar Planets

Solar Planets - Android app on AppBrain

Solar Planets is designed to introduce you the detail info about the planets in solar system with high quality image and interesting content offline.

Contents include:

+ General image of solar image

+ Detail image of every planet

+ General info about every planet

+ Fact & Figures

+ Internal structure of every planets

Hi parvee.

I'm the same :D anything that helps us noobs has got to be a good thing. I'll try to keep the thread updated as I find more apps, particularly free ones 'cos I'm tight :evil1:

I have to agree that Google & SkEye are hard to beat.

Keef, like I said earlier you should be able to get your friend to Bluetooth the .apk to you.

He/she will have to get a program called Astro (funnily enough) it's a file manager. Open astro > application manager > back up files your after. Once you backed up mount the SD card then look in back up folder and the .apk will be in there. You can then use Bluetooth file manager app to Bluetooth it.

This will only work on free apps.

I think that's right off the top of my head.

:)

Hi Keef.

I've emailed the .apks hope all goes well with installing.

I couldn't send Heavens Above as it is protected.

Some of them may not work due to phone spec but most of the ones apps I've sent to my wife have :)

Archived