SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Android astronomy apps

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a couple more apps to add :)

EphemDroid Free

EphemDroid Free - Android app on AppBrain

All the astronomical data of Sun, Moon, and Solar System's Planets in your pocket, calculated in realtime.

Plus a quick and handy guided system, using your device's accelerometer, to pinpoint the position of planets in the

sky!

IK Pegasi

IK Pegasi - Android app on AppBrain

Astronomy app. IK Pegasi presents a view of the brightest stars in the night sky. Plus:

* the solar system's planets

* outline of 88 constellations

Images and hyperlinks to Wikipedia entries are available for selected sights such as:

* planets

* galaxies

* nebulas

Use touch gestures to change view and select objects.

I will add more as I find them :)

Ok I know they're not strictly apps :) but here's a couple of live wallpapers.

Galactic Core Live Wallpaper

Galactic Core Live Wallpaper - Android app on AppBrain

A stunning live wallpaper featuring a rotating spiral galaxy! The perspective shifts as you touch the screen!

If you enjoy this, please donate by buying Galactic Core Donation so we can keep making these! The Donation version has a full settings screen with lots of options!

TO USE: Home->Press Menu->Wallpapers->LiveWallpapers

Asteroid Belt Live Wallpaper

Asteroid Belt Live Wallpaper - Android app on AppBrain

A beautiful 3D live wallpaper featuring a planetary system and tumbling asteroids! The planets move based on the time of day! Has proper support for home-screen switching and landscape mode!

If you enjoy this, get the Donation version for a full settings screen, with lots of customization options!

TO USE: Home->Press Menu->Wallpapers->LiveWallpapers

Hi Martin,

Due to the dire weather I've not been able to use it yet.

According to their website:

The handheld-mode is similar to Google SkyMap. However, when switched to indirect-mode it doubles as a PUSHTO guide for telescopes. The PUSHTO system uses the phone's sensors alone. All you need to do is strap the phone onto the telescope's OTA temporarily.

You can download a tutorial here:

http://lavadip.com/media/SkEyeIntro.pdf

Ensure that you calibrate the magnetic sensors as described in the tutorial.

Hi guys!

I am relatively new to sky-gazing. And to Android as well. I am also the author of SkEye :)

How do you use SkEye for push to? Sorry if it's a daft question but do you have to mount the phone perpendicular to the OTA?

You are free to mount the phone in any suitable orientation. SkEye figures it all out during the alignment step. The tutorial that badgeranduni mentioned should help you with details.

For those who can't install SkEye from the Market, I have added a direct download link on my website:

Introducing SkEye

cheers,

HRJ

Another Astronomy app:

Star Chart $2.83

Star Chart - Android app on AppBrain

***The best selling smart phone astronomy app comes to Android! ***

Now you can have a virtual star chart in your pocket! Look through the eyes of your Android device* to see a virtual window into the whole visible universe.

All you have to do is point your Android device* at the sky and Star Chart will tell you exactly what you are looking at.

Using state of the art GPS technology, an accurate 3D universe, and all of the latest high tech functionality, Star Chart calculates – in real time - the current location of every star and planet visible from Earth and shows you precisely where they are; even in broad daylight!

Want to know what that bright star is called? Point your device at it – you might just find out it’s a planet!

Want to know what the night sky looks like to people on the other side of the earth? Well just point your device down!

Want to know where your star sign is in the sky? Star Chart will tell you all this and more.

Star Charts features include:

- Just point and view. No need to scroll around the screen to find out what you are looking at*.

- Alternatively, look around the sky using finger gestures – perfect for armchair astronomers!

- Supports dynamic device orientation viewing. Allows you to view the night sky whilst holding your Android device at any angle.

- Accurately depicts all the visible stars of the northern and southern hemispheres - a total of over 5000 stars!

- Displays all the planets of the solar system, plus the sun and the moon.

- Displays all 88 constellations, with constellation imagery based on the beautiful artwork by 15th century astronomer Johannes Hevelius.

- Includes entire Messier catalogue of exotic deep sky objects.

- Tap on anything in the sky and get the facts on what you are looking at, including distance and brightness.

- Very powerful zoom function, lets you view the sky in extra detail, using intuitive finger gestures.

- Fully configurable. Star Chart displays only the sky objects that you are interested in.

- Allows you to view the sky underneath the horizon (unlike other more expensive applications). So now you can see where the sun is, even at night!

- Manually set your location to find out what the sky looks like from anywhere in the world.

- Full search feature

- Installable on an SD card

So point your Android device at the sky and see what's out there!

HRJ you are a super star :):icon_salut:

My 12" dob has a metal OTA. I have a telrad base extender that keeps the telrad away from the tube and can sometimes make it easier to use. I was thinking of mounting the phone on that. Do you think that would do the trick?

Another app:

Celeste SE $1.99

Celeste SE - Android app on AppBrain

See amazing 3D graphics of the Sun, Moon, and planets moving across the sky!

Just aim your camera and see exactly where each Solar System object is located, day or night, even while indoors.

Where will the Sun and Moon rise or set today? How do the planets align on any date?

Fun facts too!

HRJ you are a super star :):icon_salut:

/me takes a bow.

I am just playing my tiny role in the grand scheme of things. :)

My 12" dob has a metal OTA. I have a telrad base extender that keeps the telrad away from the tube and can sometimes make it easier to use. I was thinking of mounting the phone on that. Do you think that would do the trick?
Frankly, I don't know how SkEye would work with metal OTAs. It might not be a problem at all as the OTA moves along with the phone. Metallic mounts are probably more worrisome than metallic OTAs.

Mounting on the Telrad extender sounds like a good idea. The farther the distance from your OTA, the better the chance of success.

If you want to have some idea in advance, before you take the trouble of mounting your phone:

1. Start any app that uses the magnetic compass. You can use SkEye itself.
  2. Calibrate the sensors magnetometer with the figure 8 motion as described in the tutorial.
  3. Hold the phone steady in your hands, and bring it closer to the tube. Start from something like 1 meter and bring it close, till full contact.
  4. If you notice any deflection in the display along the way, note the distance from the tube where it happens. This would be the minimum distance that you need to keep.

HRJ - I can't find out where I go with my HTC desire to calibrate the accelerometer. SkEye justs asks for the phone to be placed on a level surface. My compass/leveler app does the same. Do I need to do the figure of 8 thing?

HRJ - I can't find out where I go with my HTC desire to calibrate the accelerometer. SkEye justs asks for the phone to be placed on a level surface. My compass/leveler app does the same. Do I need to do the figure of 8 thing?

This is a common question getting asked to me. I guess I should rewrite the docs.

There are two sensors in the phone that SkEye uses:

1. Accelerometer

2. Magnetometer

The figure 8 motion is required for the Magnetometer calibration. If your phone needs it (HTC desire does need it), then you need to perform it everytime you start the app.

The accelerometer calibration is rarely required. You can ignore it for now.

Hello

I am new to the forum, this is my first post.

I have a backflip android phone and cannot get the app from the market (I am running 2.1 but only can see DSC in the Market), can I get the APK file from somebody? I can use ADB to push it...

Thanks

Francisco

A couple more to keep you going :)

Stargazing; Guide to Astronomy $1.14

Stargazing; Guide to Astronomy - Android app on AppBrain

Discover how to get started today in the fascinating hobby of astronomy!

This guide will take you by the hand and guide you on your memorable journey through the universe around us.

From our small world we have gazed upon the cosmic ocean for thousands of years. Ancient astronomers observed points

of light that appeared to move among the stars.

They called these objects planets, meaning wanderers, and named them after Roman deities - Jupiter, king of the

gods; Mars, the god of war; Mercury, messenger of the gods; Venus, the god of love and beauty, and Saturn, father of

Jupiter and god of agriculture.

The stargazers also observed comets with sparkling tails, and meteors or shooting stars apparently falling from the

sky.

Since the invention of the telescope, three more planets have been discovered in our solar system. The science of

astronomy is ever expanding.

This guide begins with a basic understanding of light and color. In the first three chapters you will learn the

important role these forces play in astronomy and an understanding of the universe. Exciting experiments will help

you in your learning.

Next we will examine the instruments used in astronomy and you will learn how to build a simple spectroscope from

low cost materials.

Then it's on to our sun, moon and planets, where you will learn there distance from us and amazing facts about each

of these bodies, and then beyond to study the meteoroids, asteroids and comets and ending up at the stars and

constellations with star maps for observing the night sky.

This is the complete manual for beginning this exciting new hobby.

*** On Sale Now! (Normal Price $15.99) ***

Get it now before promotion ends!

PlanetariaX Pro $3.14

PlanetariaX Pro - Android app on AppBrain

An Astronomy Application for Android!

Keywords: stargazing, astronomy, planetarium, stars, constellations, universe, galaxy, solar system

Recent changes:

Added Licensing Server code

Latest version: 2.1.0 (for all Android versions)

star3map $4.99

star3map - Android app on AppBrain

Star3map is a satellite tracker, and planet, star, and constellation viewer for mobile phones and tablets. It uses your current location, current time, and current satellite data to show you what is currently in your sky. Use it to find the International Space Station or Hubble Space Telescope!

Latest version: 1.8.0 (for Android version 2.1 and higher)

Archived