Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Android astronomy apps

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks HRJ I dont have the wildfire s yet but if it will run SkEye then I will buy one

All the previous comments and ratings from this device had 5 stars! I am taking the plunge and removing Wildfire S from the filtered list. I will let you know how it goes.

(Up until a couple of weeks back a developer couldn't filter Market comments by device, but now it is easy to see which devices get what kind of comments and ratings. Yay! :p)

I don't know if this has been mentioned but here is a night mode app.

icoAZkhAZYM0Z7MTWsB75lKjW8eha4equU2RfMIr5v3J0XuE7SlYGzoLAzsHtTdXdg=h2304PWJ_0Gv9VkZv-gcWRaqoXnvtLLNWtMI7WObp-DF6nkDesKHi5KZtEyZ7kUv0XPD7ng=h230

[Android 2.1+][03.10.2011][v3.2] Chainfire3D [ROOT][OpenGL ES 2.0+] - xda-developers

Your phone needs to be rooted for it to work and it says to install it on honeycomb at your own peril!

I don't think it'll damage your phone if it doesn't work on honeycomb though. They always say things like this on that site. I think the worst case scenario would be that you would need to reinstall honeycomb so, if you've already rooted your phone, back your rom up using xrecovery (or something similar), install the app and if it doesn't work simply reinstall your backed up rom. However, having said that, please read the thread to make sure because I don't want anybody blaming me for a bricked phone.

Also, if you still find the red screen a bit bright, you can use screen lock to dim it past what android deems to be 0 brightness. It can also be used to turn off any annoying LED back lights.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.haxor

• 1 month later...

Some of the apps I use that may be helpful to some. I have read through the entire thread so wont list all the ones I use, just those not mentioned (I may have missed 1 or 2 :p )

Sun, Moon and Planets - Free - Planet info such as rise and set time, distance that sort of thing.

Sat24.com - Free - Realtime satellite weather images, very handy to spot the very occasional gaps in the cloud :(

Jovian Widget - Free - shows jupiters moon positions and where the GRS is in realtime. You can also set it to display for various types of telescope.

Screen Filter - Free - Allows you to set the screen brightness at the touch of a button, and to much lower than the usual Android settings allow. I have it set to 15% and its very good at a very dark spot.

Lunafaqt - Free - Very nicely laid out app to show rise and set times of the Sun and Moon and the phase of the moon.

I use a lot of other apps mentioned in this thread already, my favourites of which are Astro Panel, Sky Map, Meteor Shower Calender and SatTrack.

I only have a very low powered Wildfire and all the above run nicely on it. I hope you like them :D

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a ton of android apps that are great. Of course the Google Sky Map is great. Remember Google is huge and have all the necessary technology to make their products great. I like the grapics the best of all apps along with Sky Safari Pro. Another must have app. Then theres one i use a lot which apparently works with computerized Scopes. Astro Tools! I can go on and ob about the features but wont because i find it an experience finding out what an app can and cannot do. I will share just the names. SkyEye, Planetarium, Astro Panel for the seeing conditions & weather. Telescope Flashlight redlight. The Night Sky. Star3map. Vortex. Mobile Observatory. Planetdroid. Planets Of The Solar System. I have all these apps but havent perfected or went through them all. The first 3 i wrote a bit on are the ones i have used the most and Astro Panel is a must for seeing conditions and Weather. Everyone should have at least one of these apps. On some you can click onto the object and it will give you the info. I enjiy these apps even during the day and all i believe have gps. I have an acer iconia tablet which has usb but need the proper adapter to connect to usb which is awrsome because a tablet is better to carry out than a laptop. Another tip is to get yourself a powertank. I have the Celestron Power Tank17 which will come in handy if the power goes out or you need to boost your car. The telescope has its limits and depends on aperture and focal length depending on what you want to do. A eyepiece will make or break a telescope so if you want to waste money on cheap eyepiece kits instead of one eyepiece you will be disappointed. Its better to buy 1 excellant one than have 10 40-50 $ ones. you can use a barlow at the beginning just to give you an extra magnification until you buy another but eventually try to get them all high quality. Keep using the ones that came with your scope then sell them. For the kids their great, until they learn to take care of there equipment. They will do the job but you will notice the difference. I hope this is helps and I know I went a little further but i believe its important to know because a lot of people give up because they hoped for the hubble telescope quality views on a 4.5 inch relector or their department store refractor even in the larger aperture scopes. Study and study. Get the Catalogues and star charts and be patient. Dont throw away money before finding out what you should get. Take a month of research before buying. Clear skies my friends. I had a nice night last night on a Celestron Nextstar 8se and a 8" Skywatcher Dobsonian which I will most likely get rid of to buy some more eyepieces.

I use a couple of Android based app's.... We need more good ones!!

I find SkEye the best of all the free sky maps, most responsive and crucially the most accurate!! Google Sky Map looks pretty but it's not that great imo. Sorry if been repeated but here's the ones I use:

SkEye - Great planetarium program, easily surpasses Google Sky Map

Star Oydessy - Quick reference guide for named stars, very quick and informative

Astro Panel - Great for planning observing sessions, great weather information

Iridium Flare - Gives notification of Iridium satellite flyby's near your location, I usually observe 5 or a week

Where's Io - Good little tool for visualising where Io and other Jovian satellites are in their orbits

Jupiter Moon Widget - Real time positions of moons and GRS, set in differing views (nakes eye, refractor, binos etc)

Moon Phase Widget - Real time phase of the moon plus rise and set times

Saturn Moon Widget - Real time positions of moons, different views

Space Junk - Great realtime program for viewing satellite flight paths

APOD - Nasa's Astronomy picture of the day, every morning I get a brand new wallpaper taken from the lastest APOD

Stargazing Log - Easy to record observations - slight bug in that it won't record NGC objects in 'quick stats'

All free to download the above from android marketplace

Archived