Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Scope - Intermediate User

Thank you for allowing me to join the forums!!

Since I was younger, I have always had an interest in astronomy and are beginning to pursue my passion. My family, including my 2 boys will be joining me in this new adventure. I am looking to buy my first telescope. I have a strong technical background in computers, electronics and photography so the complexity doesn't concern me so as making sure I am getting the right telescope that will last me for many years. I have been doing tons of research and am honestly not any closer to making a decision. Couple requirements I am looking for however are:

1. Portability - I don't mind carrying up to 60 lbs.

2. Computerized - Goto. Possible IPad integration.

3. Scope will be 90% viewing only. Multi interest viewing including planets, moon, stars, nebulae, deep space, etc.

4. Possible basic astrophotography. I don't want a scope specially for AP. If I get into AP big time I will add a second scope later on.

5. Budget 2000-2500

I really like the Celestron scopes and have experience with them in the past. What size aperture would you recommend? ? 6, 8, 9.25?

I've been leaning towards the Nexstar SEs or Evolutions. Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks.

Where abouts are ypunin the uk? Is there an astronomy club or society near by? It is so much better to see these things in action before spending the money. If you are near nottingham we are having a telescope workshop on the first thirsday of september as our meeting where most types of telescopes will be on show for people to look at and ask questions of the users.

Otherwise, i'd suggest something compact like an SCT, but the long focal length means the field of view is relatively narrow so not so good for massive gas clouds and nebula.

As for the mount, depends on the weight of your scope and whatever else you want to put on it; if at lighter end an HEQ5 is pretty good, else an NEQ6 or AZEQ6 (there was one of the latter on ABS for £850 the other day). I know nothing about Celestron mounts but they always get good reviews on here.

That is the other thing to consider, buying second hand - astro kit is often well looked and will save you a fair amount of money.

Good luck but do get involved in some local group or society, you'll learn much from them and have local points of contact when you get stuck.

James

Indeed in the U.S. This primarily a UK forum? If so I apologize.

Stargazerslounge is UK based, but like the internet in general, welcomes folk from wherever they are.

Intergalactic members even more welcome !!

Joining or meeting up with an astronomy club always a great idea.

Cheers, Ed.

Perhaps i'm bias but I'd totally recommend the Evolution. When I was looking for my first scope I had the same requirements as yourself. It fits all your requirements perfectly. WIthout the aid of a focal reducer or hyper star the evo is very limited to astrophotography because of the mount. However if it's 90% visual you're looking for then I can't recommend it highly enough. The wifi interface makes it a real pleasure to use. I'm currently saving up for my second scope purely for astrophotography.

In regards to what size scope you should get, if you have the money to get the 9.25 over the 8, 6 etc then I'd say go for it. Aside from the fact that you can collect more light and bring out fainter objects you get the added bonus of the 9.25 being supplied with a much sturdier tripod than the 8'' 

If you have any questions or queries about the scope feel free to send me a message and I'll be happy to answer :)

Hi AJ and welcome to SGL :)

We get a lot of our American colleagues on this forum and all are welcome. My suggestion for your criteria would be a 925 optical tube assembly on an equatorial mount. The new AVX mount gets good write ups - alternatively the Skywatcher NEQ6 and AZEQ6GT are both very capable and provide a bit of future proofing for any other "imaging" scopes you get.

The CPC and SE range are essentially alt/az mounts which can be wedged up for long exposure photography - but an equatorial mount will be a lot less bother in the long run if you do go down the imaging path. I would veer away from single arm forks - especially for the heavier ota's. A straight C925 on SW AZEQ6GT or Celestron AVX would be perfect for your stated intentions  imho. :)

Welcome to the forum. you're doing the right thing by asking people who've been there before you (some very recently, like me) before spending your money.

The following is my personal take on what I've learned so far:

Observing is a great activity, but don't think you'll see through an eyepiece what you see in an image, so you may decide at some point that you want to do more imaging, with serious consequences for your wallet/credit card. You can future-proof yourself by careful selection of equipment from the get-go.

The mount is by far the most important item. Spend more than you thought you'd have to on this. The maximum payload is important - if you progress to bigger/heavier scopes later on, you don't want to have to buy a bigger mount too.

The question of scopes is worth a book in itself. I am entering my second year and have already bought 4, 3 refractors and a reflector, and I'm not finished yet,  because no one scope will do the business for all purposes. Long focal lengths like Schmidt Cassegrains tend to be good for small objects such as planets, lunar, planetary nebulae etc but are considered 'slow' for imaging without extra focal length reducers. Short FL's are good for wide field objects like emission nebulae. The 'speed' of the scope, dictated by the aperture (light gathering ability) and focal length, is important for imaging.

The best bang-for-buck in observing is a Dobsonian, basically a Newtonian reflector in a turntable mount. You can get goto Dobs these days. Bigger tends to be better.

For dual purpose observing and imaging, you'd be hard pressed to beat a Newtonian reflector on a decent German Equatorial Mount. Their performance for the cost is outstanding.

The biggest problem with scopes is that, once started, your aspirations may change, so there is no real way of predicting what type will suit you a year or two down the line.

This doesn't apply to mounts, though - get the best that you can afford and it will serve you well whatever you throw at it.

Happy stargazing and Clear skies!

StevieO

Archived