Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging the SUN

Hi all

Total novice here, I seem to have purchased all the components that I thought I would need, I have a good solar filter, a good scope, a good camera and software (so I am told) this all allows me to catch the sun and view it live on my laptop or TV screen (depending on where I am) I have some good filters which I would like to learn how to use but my BIG QUESTION is how do I keep the Sun in my field of vision (FOV might be the correct abbreviation) my scope has all the bells and whistles seemingly, but they all seem to depend on computer software that uses an embedded camera to align and track the objects, that you can then select to view. The PROBLEM is I can not ALIGN or TRACK the sun without exposing the camera lens to the full glare of the SUN. :confused:

So HOW CAN I LOCK ONTO THE SUN AND THEN TRACK IT AUTOMATICALLY?? I want to be able to take short videos which can then be broken down into individual frames and the aligned and stacked to produce a better quality picture, I have RegiStax 6.1 software that I trust will help after I have acquired the source video.

Apologies for my lack of 'language' I do hope you can translate my garble into some form of sense and offer me some options. 

Kind Regards

Andy

CELESTRON SKY PRODIGY 6sct, CANON 16mp EOS 1200D (dslr), GOOD QUALITY CUSTOM LAPTOP WITH HIGH-END GRAPHICS, INTEL i7 PROC, SMART 48TV (for viewing, due to limited vision) NUMEROUS CABLES, EYE PIECES, FILTERS, SOFTWARE, LOTS OF EQUIPMENT VERY LITTLE EXPERIENCE

Not familiar with the Sky Prodigy, but try a "pretend" alignment during the day - just let it point to the alignment stars and accept them without adjusting.

Then point at the sun and let it track, should be accurate enough to make short videos for stacking.

If you can get into the menus and find a Solar tracking rate, even better.

Michael

My main concern is with the Sky Prodigy 'gizmo'/'thingy' pointing or locked onto the Sun whilst imaging.

I also read somewhere that catadioptrics, (ie Maksutov's/SCT's), are not ideal telescopes for solar observing). Apologies if I appear negative. I think it is because of the narrow FOV they have or that they are totally enclosed, (hey, but aren't all 'scopes totally enclosed, except truss tubes). I maybe wrong...

Not familiar with the Sky Prodigy, but try a "pretend" alignment during the day - just let it point to the alignment stars and accept them without adjusting.
Then point at the sun and let it track, should be accurate enough to make short videos for stacking.
Michael

Thanks Michael

I can see the logic in what you are saying and the 'next' fair weather day I am going to give it a go, I kind of wanted to start on something simple before I got into the night time stuff, perhaps that was a poor choice , still, as they say its not the destination, its the journey that counts, and I am having a great journey.

Kind Regards

CELESTRON SKY PRODIGY 6sct, CANON 16mp EOS 1200D (dslr), GOOD QUALITY CUSTOM LAPTOP WITH HIGH-END GRAPHICS, INTEL i7 PROC, SMART 48TV (for viewing, due to limited vision) NUMEROUS CABLES, EYE PIECES, FILTERS, SOFTWARE, LOTS OF EQUIPMENT VERY LITTLE EXPERIENCE

My main concern is with the Sky Prodigy 'gizmo'/'thingy' pointing or locked onto the Sun whilst imaging.

I also read somewhere that catadioptrics, (ie Maksutov's/SCT's), are not ideal telescopes for solar observing). Apologies if I appear negative. I think it is because of the narrow FOV they have or that they are totally enclosed, (hey, but aren't all 'scopes totally enclosed, except truss tubes). I maybe wrong...

My mak 127 SLT is fine for the sun. The sun perfectly fills a canon 1100d and my 8-24mm zoom lens. Anything with a wider FOV would be a waste imo.

Michael

Apologies for another quick question,  "ALIGN" (or pretend to, in daylight) should I have my solar filter fitted on my scope?, Thanks in anticipation.

Andy

Apologies for another quick question,  "ALIGN" (or pretend to, in daylight) should I have my solar filter fitted on my scope?, Thanks in anticipation.

Andy

First, STOP what you are doing until you fully understand solar imaging.

Read the Sky Prodigy manual:

http://www.celestron.com/c3/images/files/downloads/1311634416_skyprodigy.pdf

Page 14 covers off aligning on the Sun.

You MUST securely cap the finderscope (if fitted) and the Starsense imager. If you don't then you will destroy the sensor in the Starsense system. And focused light from a finderscope will burn skin, damage eyesight or damage anything that it focuses on.

ALWAYS have the correct solar filter fitted to the front of the scope BEFORE pointing it anywhere near the Sun. This is what happens to a DSLR when setting up without proper filtering.

http://www.camerarepair.org/2012/05/solar-eclipse-burned-camera/

There's a few people around with permanently damaged eyesight as a result of taking improper procedures when solar viewing. And not all damage happens immediately...the infra-red rays will burn the retina and the scarring can take a while to appear.

Solar imaging is very enjoyable, but it needs to be treeated with proper care and diligence.

First, STOP what you are doing until you fully understand solar imaging.

Read the Sky Prodigy manual:

http://www.celestron.com/c3/images/files/downloads/1311634416_skyprodigy.pdf

Page 14 covers off aligning on the Sun.

You MUST securely cap the finderscope (if fitted) and the Starsense imager. If you don't then you will destroy the sensor in the Starsense system. And focused light from a finderscope will burn skin, damage eyesight or damage anything that it focuses on.

ALWAYS have the correct solar filter fitted to the front of the scope BEFORE pointing it anywhere near the Sun. This is what happens to a DSLR when setting up without proper filtering.

http://www.camerarepair.org/2012/05/solar-eclipse-burned-camera/

There's a few people around with permanently damaged eyesight as a result of taking improper procedures when solar viewing. And not all damage happens immediately...the infra-red rays will burn the retina and the scarring can take a while to appear.

Solar imaging is very enjoyable, but it needs to be treeated with proper care and diligence.

From a beginner who is already registered as partially sighted, trust me I don't take risks with my eyesight or for that matter my equipment, which is exactly why I came to this site so that experts can point me in a helpful direction, It is because the warnings you highlight that prompted me to double check the advice I had just received about doing a pretend auto align in daylight. I am however still at a bit of a loss as to how to get solar tracking to function, sadly the retailer who sold me the product appears to have been helpful up to the exchange of money but then never answers my calls or emails. As such I am gently, very gently trying to learn the basics of what I hope will be a rewarding serious hobby for me to enjoy. I am physically limited due to a road accident and my grey matter is a bit different from the intelligent fast thinking chap I used to be so it does take time for me to learn new things and what can be obvious to others is not always the same to me, but I am determined to master this skill and with the help of talented people on this site I hope to make less mistakes. So I am grateful for any and all advice. Thank you for the link to the user manual (something I never received on purchase)

Regards

Andy :icon_scratch:

Andy.....

Am going to jump in on this as have decided to sample life on the 'lightside'.

Have purchased suitable filter (which probably accounts for why the weather has gone pump recently) and am well aware of the dagers and everything that should eb covered will be well covered.

My main questions are do I just take single still images using my D7100 ala DSO imaging, but at riduclously short exposure and ISO settings, take video using the D7100 and then stack frames, or as my QHY guidecam will be off the guidscope, use this to capture video and then stack that?

As for tacking am hoping my AVX will be able to track suitably long enough to grab the data.  Will only be imaging in white light at the moment too.....wouldn't even know where to start with what filters to get to be able to image in Ha with my current setup....not even sure it would be possible.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

A white light solar filter goes over the front of the scope:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

The DSLR or a webcam then takes the place of the eyepiece.

It might be worth getting in contact with your local astronomical society too. I don't know your location, but the West Yorkshire Astronomical society might be a good starting point, especially as they aim to cater to people with special needs and disabilities.:

http://www.wyas.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=489

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

A white light solar filter goes over the front of the scope:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

The DSLR or a webcam then takes the place of the eyepiece.

It might be worth getting in contact with your local astronomical society too. I don't know your location, but the West Yorkshire Astronomical society might be a good starting point, especially as they aim to cater to people with special needs and disabilities.:

http://www.wyas.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=489

I am looking up their contact details right now.

Thank you I really appreciate it.

Warm Regards

Andy

I was just wondering as I was taking pics of sunspots the other day. Ever since ive had a really bloodshot eye. Of course I was using a solar filter and sunglasses but I was thinking it might have been from looking through the laser pointer or something? Either that or its stress/tiredness and a coincidence, probably!

Juno

You only get the one pair and once they are broke they can't easily be fixed so if it was me I would air on the side of caution and go get them looked at. If it is stress then all you will have done is wasted a pair of hours. If not then whatever has happened may be catchable. Probably an optician or if there is one near you an eye hospital. This is not medical advice, just what I would do in the situation

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I was just wondering as I was taking pics of sunspots the other day. Ever since ive had a really bloodshot eye. Of course I was using a solar filter and sunglasses but I was thinking it might have been from looking through the laser pointer or something? Either that or its stress/tiredness and a coincidence, probably!

I definitely have yet to feel safe enough to get within ten feet of my scope on a sunny day, but I do know what it is like to be told that you are going blind and nothing can stop it, so whilst only my humble opinion get your eyes checked, you have nothing to lose, do you?

I think I recall some good advice about blanking of the sighting scope, to prevent accidental burns, there are other ways of finding the sun, but take advice on that from an expert.

Wish you the best

Andy

Don't let that put you off Andy. Just take all the precautions, eye protection when looking at the sun (not sure sunglasses are even totally safe) Solar Filter when looking through the scope. Try and look at it from your kitchen or something if you can. I kept taking off the sun glasses to line it up in the laser pointer. Which I wont do next time. There is probably safer methods but im a total novice.

A dedicated solar finder would be much better than a laser pointer (staring at the sun isn't a good idea really) - it doesn't have to be expensive - or you can get or make a filter for your finderscope just like the main scope. Myself my first solar finder was a piece of card bent like

|____|

With a hole (made by the point of a biro) in one of the vertical sections - which then projects a bright dot of the sun onto the other vertical section when lined up with the sun - & sellotaped it onto the telescope tube. Worked fine.

Andy.....

Am going to jump in on this as have decided to sample life on the 'lightside'.

Have purchased suitable filter (which probably accounts for why the weather has gone pump recently) and am well aware of the dagers and everything that should eb covered will be well covered.

My main questions are do I just take single still images using my D7100 ala DSO imaging, but at riduclously short exposure and ISO settings, take video using the D7100 and then stack frames, or as my QHY guidecam will be off the guidscope, use this to capture video and then stack that?

As for tacking am hoping my AVX will be able to track suitably long enough to grab the data.  Will only be imaging in white light at the moment too.....wouldn't even know where to start with what filters to get to be able to image in Ha with my current setup....not even sure it would be possible.

Hi

Have you had any luck getting that bright thing onto your hard drive? The question you are asking about a single shot or a short video and stacking, well I have not mastered either but the stacking thing is on my to do list. So I can only talk about single shot, which I have got some great images, made me feel really clever, I used a SkyProdigy 6sct scope, no Barlow tube, a EOS1200D canon straight into the rear of the scope, Solar filter on front, all other orifices covered, I USB connected my camera to my laptop and used an extended cable on my hand controller and controlled all through the EOS software suite on my screen (being disabled I cannot look through a scope) I used a selection of filters and the end result really surprised me. Incidentally I am not very clever about camera settings so I just snapped away randomly and they all came out well, I did in fact take a video of the sun crossing my line of sight as well and that was fine as well.

How do you manage to upload a picture on this site? I would like to show off my efforts, even though I am a total novice I am learning and I do feel proud of my results, well some of them.

On the tracking thing, because I have not learned that yet I just used the hand controller to move the scope but the sun moves so slowly that for a photo it is not helpful and for my video I wanted to catch the sun moving so again no tracking was needed.

Have fun.

Andy

Well done Andy

Not gad a chance here....seems as well as buying solar filter I also bought 2 weeks of torrential rain.....my veggies are happy though

There is a stickies in one of the sub forums about how to attach images. Follow that and all will be good

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Archived