Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dedicated Planetary Imaging Camera Advice Required

Hi,

I have skywatcher 10" manual dobsonian telescope. I use eyepiece projection adapter with canon 600d to do planetary imaging. But I am not very much satisfied with its results.

Some folks suggested that to obtain high quality planetary imaging, I should go with dedicated planetary imaging camera like ASI120MM series.

(ASI174 series is way too costly, I am looking for some budgetary solution but with good quality)

Can some one please suggest any good model and sample images taken with it if possible?

I have used both the ASI120MC, the ASI130MM, the ASI174MM, and the DMK21 on planets. The MC is easier and cheaper becuase it does not require filters and a filter wheel. The monochromes give better quality images (although the ASI130MM has annoying pattern noise requireing darks and flats for planetary). The DMK21 is a really good performer, and on my 8" SCT has sufficient pixels to get Jupiter at full resolution of the aperture.

This was done wiht the ASI120MC (1.5x drizzle)
post-5655-0-25668600-1423406038.jpg
Same but scaled down a bit
post-5655-0-84842100-1423406061.jpg

So it seems DSLR is not a good candidate for astro photography :( and I invested in it :'(

ASI120MC is color and ASI120MM is monochrome right? so its better to get MC since jupiter is colorful planet?

it is good, but not that good for planets, you can capture other objects like nebulae and galaxies, etc with it and have some fun.

though i don't know if it will perform good enough with your scope.

Frank

DSLR can be ok but for planetary work you will need to increase the image scale with a Powermate or Barlow. I use a colour ASI because it's less hassle and takes less time to aquire the image which can be important when clouds are about.

Peter

I think that the camera you're using is not going to be the thing that has the largest impact on your imaging.  I'd suggest that using a manual dob is the biggest problem.  The difficulty you will have keeping a target on a small planetary camera sensor could well remove any benefit from using a dedicated planetary camera.

James

Your problem is the dobsonian not so much the camera.

If you had a tracking mount then a simple webcam would make it all easier and better.

Manual dobsonians are not the scope to use for imaging, planetary or DSO.

I'd echo that the scope is going to be the biggest issue. It can be remarkably difficult to get a planets image onto a small sensor. Think about it...The sensor is about 8mm across, you have 3x Barlow in the imaging train....can you imagine how sensitive to small movements that is going to be? Then try getting the image in focus....The light from planets is still faint and if you are a long way out of focus you will not even see that the image is on the chip. Plus you are having to crane your neck around to look at the computer screen, whilst fiddling with the focuser and trying to keep the image on - chip. Every touch of the manual focuser will send the image off - chip.

I use a C11 and 2.5 Barlow to image at 7 metres focal length. I *HATE* changing anything in the imaging train as it can be a complete PITA getting the image back on sensor and in focus. And that's using a motorised focuser with the OTA mounted on an EQ8 mount, all controlled from the PC. I cannot imagine even attempting this on a manual Dob with a manual focuser. Heck I think that I would rapidly deplete my sense of humour trying that on the Moon, never mind on a planet!

Before you spend money on a dedicated planetary camera think very closely on the overall system (mount, motorised focuser, quality of focuser and camera). Otherwise I fear that you rapidly get completely demoralised and give up on what can be a fascinating part of imaging.

Yes I agree that its complete PITA to focus planets with dslr attached. slightly movement and the planet goes off the screen and then most of the time I fail to get them on screen again. even sometimes I stop my breath just to avoid any shaking :D

Hmm then its my bad luck to have manual dobsonian to take good quality planetary images. I saved money for long time just to buy this equipment and that's the best I could afford this time.

Maybe I will stick with my dslr and this dob and try to improve techniques :)

I will try to get 5x barlow to better up the images.

thanks for your suggestions ... :) It helped clearing the views.

Archived