SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

"Eureka" or, more properly - εὕρηκα heúrēka

BobSki

YES I Really have ............

FOUND IT that is :grin:

No longer have I got to read posts on this forum ...................

and feel :Envy: envious of all you lucky so-n-so's that have got lovely telescopes to play with.

NO!

I have now got the feelings of anxiety, impatience, trepidation, even fear :eek:

WHY?

Because I have ordered and am now awaiting delivery of MY NEW TOY :biggrin:

After many months of deliberation and several silly questions posed to you folkes.........

It is a Celestron Advanced VX 8 Newtonian. :grin:

OH What have I done?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i feel its only right to be honest. That scope is terrible. In fact its worse then worse.

Bazinga !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks great. Should keep you going for a couple of yrs til you decide you want a 10" of bigger. 

Bazinga!!!!!!!!!!!!! again.

Amongst the numerous "rules" that seem to abound in astronomy there is one I suspect that you have yet to realise:

The final cost of accessories for any scope will have an accumulated cost that is equal to or in excess of the cost of the scope. :eek::grin::eek::grin::eek:

Great choice! A 200mm/8" can keep you busy for the rest of your life. And we'll all be here to help you learn such frightening things like collimation, aligning the finder, good eyepieces.....I think you get the idea.

Clear Skies - After 40 Nights of Rain,

Dave

Amongst the numerous "rules" that seem to abound in astronomy there is one I suspect that you have yet to realise:

The final cost of accessories for any scope will have an accumulated cost that is equal to or in excess of the cost of the scope. :eek::grin::eek::grin::eek:

SSSSSSSShhhhhhhhh

The WIFE is listening :grin:

Great choice! A 200mm/8" can keep you busy for the rest of your life. And we'll all be here to help you learn such frightening things like collimation, aligning the finder, good eyepieces.....I think you get the idea.

Clear Skies - After 40 Nights of Rain,

Dave

Cheers Dave, I am very sure I will be needing all the help I can get.

The shop I ordered from said that if and when the scope needs collimating, I could if I wished, take it to them and they would do it free of charge for THE ENTIRE TIME I OWN THE SCOPE or my whole life if that's how long I keep it. The lady said they only come with one eye piece, a 20mm, so I have ordered a Celestron X-cel 9mm to go with it, that way I'll have 50x mag and also 111x mag to play with.

Rain!

It hasn't rained in Daventry for weeks, today, just because I've placed my order, we have had our first shower, just to let me know it's there and waiting for me to receive my toy. :angry4:

Rain!

It hasn't rained in Daventry for weeks, today, just because I've placed my order, we have had our first shower, just to let me know it's there and waiting for me to receive my toy. :angry4:

Oh good. Is it coming my way? I've put down some grass seed today

Richard

and when the cost of the accessories approaches parity with the cost of the scope, that is when the you begin looking for the 'next' instrument.:)  Bigger, refractor vs reflector, (automated) observatory...the list continues.:)

michael

and when the cost of the accessories approaches parity with the cost of the scope, that is when the you begin looking for the 'next' instrument. :)  Bigger, refractor vs reflector, (automated) observatory...the list continues. :)

michael

NO, NO STOP IT!!!

To put any kind of obsy in my back garden would necessitate either slabbing over the vegetble patch, which would result in my not being able to use my scope as wifey would KiLL ME :angel7:

or

Slabbing over what is left of our grass area.....refer to result above

or

Setting it up on our patio, again, refer to result above.

Actually, thinking about it, if she DID kill me, I would be above all this c#@p we call weather and Much nearer to the things we keep looking at, I probably wouldn't need a scope. :grin:

how about this...  build a 'greenhouse' for the green stuff your wife likes and then have the observatory as the second floor!:)  It has the added benefit of getting you and the equipment above the neighbours (?) and out of earshot if need be.:)

michael

and when the cost of the accessories approaches parity with the cost of the scope, that is when the you begin looking for the 'next' instrument. :)  Bigger, refractor vs reflector, (automated) observatory...the list continues. :)

michael

Just wait till you turn to the Dark Side, the cost of the 'scope is chicken-feed compared to the stuff you put on the end of it :eek:   :grin:  :evil:

Looks like the laws of 'buying new scope physics' have kicked in already and the showers have rolled in... unlike the earlier poster, I missed my opportunity to get the grass seed down so... when's the delivery date?  :grin:

Seriously, enjoy it.. in hindsight of my purchases, I think 8" is the sweet spot where aperture vs handling/storage are concerned. I love my 10" but sometimes the step ladder action can be a pain!

Archived