Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 200p Sun Images - first shots.

Spacehead

Hi All,

Got my filter sorted out thanks to folks here and this morning managed a few shots between the clouds.  This is my clearest one.

I dont know how to stack etc - this is one frame.  Can anyone show me some stacked images of the sun with a 200p?  Can my scope get any more detail than this or is this its realistic limit?

I AM pleased though - very!!!!!

spo.jpg

Hi, nice image, congrats.

I would have thought you're not at the limit of the scope just yet. Focus looks a bit off on that.  Also, you don't say whether you're using your canon or webcam, for sun spots I'd go for the webcam & laptop combination.  If you're using your 5x barlow that might (or might not) be pushing it too far.  Atmospheric conditions will make a big difference (day-to-day or minute-to-minute).

As for stacking, I'd use "sharpcap 2" http://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/downloads to capture the footage from the webcam (plenty of expertise on webcam setting here but I'd aim for 10 fps capture with the xbox webcam), then run the output file through PIPP https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/ then stack it in AS!2 http://www.autostakkert.com/  , finally loading it into Registax to tweak the details with RS's wavelet function http://www.astronomie.be/registax/  and a bit of processing in something like GIMP or Photoshop (all software free other than Photoshop).

Hi John - I used the 400d to take the single shot - I got about 30 shots at different settings of ISO and Shutter speed - so some are lighter than others.

The sunspot isnt always in the middle of the image taken with the sun drifting.   But each shot has a lot of right side of the suns edge showing with the spot to the left.

I attached the 400d with no lens on it to a 2x Barlow on the scope - it is the only method I have of attaching as it (the barlow) has the adapter screw for the 400d.

The 400d has no liveview - so focussing is really hard - looking through the camera viewfinder.

Can I "center" and "stack" these images - just to learn about the software really.

PIPP seems not to want to center them.
Registax produces some really odd results - like with great big triangles all over the screen when its done!!

Working with the Barlow is causing you problems as you are at a focal length of around 2m!  See if you can get an adapter for your camera and then you will get the full disc in frame.  It will then be much simpler to get a decent image.  For the Barlowed close-ups you will almost certainly need a webcam or similar as good still frames are very difficult to get without good polar alignment and tracking.

You will also need to improve your focussing - maybe take some trial shots and check on the laptop screen?  Also cut the exposure down until you can clearly see the surface granulation.

I hope I'm not sounding too critical - Your picture is pretty good for a first attempt.  White light Solar is not quite as easy as many people think!

Ok - for pretty much my first foray into stacking I have aligned and stacked 6 of the pics I took.  Did it in "no colour" then added the horrid yellow in Paintshop pro - I dont have Photoshop yet.

I actually quite like this one.sun_coloured.jpg

Also - without liveview you can focus accurately if you take a series of photos and compare focus between them - i.e. take photo, playback.  Adjust focus, take photo, playback .. etc.  You can get right angle viewfinder attachments that magnify - but they're not cheap.  Figuring out how to align your mount in the daylight is helpful - e.g. align it at night and leave it out, or make some marks on the ground that you can put the mount feet back on later.

edit: but definitely a very good first go!  :smiley:

Archived