Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M78 - LRGB

GordonH

Hi
Normally I do narrow band due to light pollution unless the subject is high up near the zenith and there is no moon. I thought I would have a go at M78 as it is a subject that has always appealed to me, the problem being that I can only image it once Orion has cleared my house and by then it has already gone past its highest position in the sky and I am shooting directly over houses where the bedroom lights are on until very late into the night so conditions are far from ideal. Because of this I have had to crop the image considerably as there were two large "light flairs" in opposite corners of the image where part of the data had to be shot when the subject was relatively close to a lit bedroom window.
This was taken with my Televue NP127/FLI PL16803 astrograph on my Paramount ME
Exposure times were
28x10 minutes Luminance
12x10 minutes Red
8x10 minutes Green
12x10 minutes Blue
Overall I'm pleased with the result as the detail and colour of M78 is there
The full size image is at the following link

http://m2.i.pbase.com/o9/29/869929/1/158878992.f3h1SVxq.M78LRGB.jpg

Best wishes
Gordon

post-943-0-71960200-1422621780_thumb.jpg

Nice work - can I ask if you bin your RGB I have mixed feelings on this still as been advised x2 and use for colour in LRGB but cant help but feel I am loosing detail in my image.

Thanks

Paddy

Hi Paddy

Thanks for the comments, I don't use binning and never have done for the image acquisition whether for RGB or narrow band. I only use 4x4 binning for framing as it shows up the nebulae in Ha with 5 second exposures so framing is easy with continual exposures in Maxim DL

Best wishes

Gordon

Archived