Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maxvision 24mm eye relief

Hi folks

Just a small issue I'm having.  I've had a Maxvision 24mm eye piece for a while now but I've never been able to adjust the eye relief ....  It's not a major issue for me really as I don't generally wear my eye glasses when looking through any eye piece but it is starting to bug me slightly now that I just cannot adjust it.  I dug-up the box the EP came in to look for any info and directions it might contain but there was nothing.  I've tried gently to twist the rubber eyecup but so far without any success in the slightest .....  I'm not wanting to overly force anything. 

As I said, it's not a major issue for my own personal viewing as I don't like glasses when I'm looking through my bins or scope but I'm just getting to feel a bit silly in principle that I'm struggling with such a simples thing!  Can anyone help me please? 

Much appreciated,

Donaldo

Yes. It is fine. The rubber comes off for cleaning anyway (just mind the grease).

I tend to adjust mine before putting it on the scope otherwise you risk marking your barrel by over tightening the thumb screws.

Paul

Just incase someone else needs to work out how these work - here is a picture with the eyecup extended.

As mentioned above, you need to clean the excess grease off the black part of the sliding mechanism.

mv3.JPG

I have had most of the 5K range at some time and I have had the problem with one or two, I also had the same problem with my friends 3.5mm Pentax XW and for saying that I should be fed to the sharks.

Alan.

Sounds something amiss there Alan - the twist up action on my XW's (including the 3.5mm) is a smooth as silk and there is enough travel to cater for all needs I would have thought.

John,

It is working OK now but it was just stuck in the down position but it really took some moving. I even thought it may have been a very early one that maybe didn't have the system but now it is fine. My 5mm works like yours and on these the eye-guard really is a must for me to steady the eye in the correct place. The Delos I can use hovering but not XW.

Michael,

No piranhas will take too long and I would suffer an unfair amount

Alan

The Delos I can use hovering but not XW.

Interesting; I've found that setting the eye-cup depth to be quite critical on the Delos, to achieve the fine balance I like of eyebrow just kissing the eye-cup, whilst still able to see the entire FOV, but avoiding kidney beaning.

It should also be said that with the range of adjustment afforded by the barrel and rubber eyecup, that position is probably there for all users and I'm certainly more than happy now, but it was quite a fine line - I've found that with a few long ER EPs.

I would also say that I never wind eye-cups down (where that is an option, as opposed to folding) once I've found the happy spot. It just wastes time each time you put the darn thing in the scope. As mentioned with the Meade clones, the thumbscrew contacts the EP barrel in thefully down position, so it seems doubly pointless.

Russell

Archived