SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Great night at Llyn Brenig

Daniel-K

I had the all clear from work and Mrs K so I took a trip with a buddy up to Llyn Brenig  last night. ive only been once before and the conditions then wasn't that great. after setting up some dark clouds came over the hill from behind and I thought damn please no,but they where short lived and it cleared back up.

its a very nice spot, not as dark as our other place which is about 30min down the road from here but it was nice to do a comparison and  anice view for a change.

I was just eager to try out this 9mm 100Deg I bought. as darkness fell the lovely glow of the MW was showing dark rifts through Cygnus and shear dense number of stars visible around the area. sometimes when the conditions are this good I find it hard to look through the scope all I want to do is look up and stare.

we began with the normally bright stuff m27 m13 etc etc. M56 was very pleasant with resolved to the core with bright trailing arms extending out.

NGC6803 wow what a tiny PN very easy over looked, the shape looks exactly like the image. very nice and takes mag well

a couple of galaxys 7448 &7479 .

we looked at a lot of object's to many to list or go into detail these are just a couple of new ones ive not seen before. the PN I delphinus evaded me again.

we must have seen 15+ meteors and we saw 2 fireballs leaving a massive smoke trail.

to top it off we had NCL'S as we where packing up and on the way home the crescent moon and venus shining away

sorry not a great report but its too hot to do anything & im a little tiered

post-6284-0-30382800-1406130691_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-13021600-1406130718_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-77086100-1406130735_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-37768400-1406130747_thumb.jp

Nice read and pictures again Dan. I am resigned to armchair astronomy till later nxt month (though pre-occupied with Summer hol activities) so reading accounts such as this keep the interest alive. 9mm is useful, I go to this ep (9mm nag) with my 14" for high power views finding it at times to be preferable to the 7mm.   

Nice report!

It does look a beautiful place to observe from Dan.

Was you PN hunting without a filter? Yeah thats pretty tricky, a nice strong OIII makes them stand out like a sore thumb though. 

Whast the idea of the tartan blanket wrapped around the bottom of your scope?

Nice report!

It does look a beautiful place to observe from Dan.

Was you PN hunting without a filter? Yeah thats pretty tricky, a nice strong OIII makes them stand out like a sore thumb though. 

Whast the idea of the tartan blanket wrapped around the bottom of your scope?

yeah mike that's where the 2" astronomic filter would have been handy. the blanket is there to stop dew forming on the tube keeps it dry so I don't have to wipe it down later on ;)

Archived