Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does APT have a 5X zoom mode for planetary?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Chris. I'm still unsure of the whole thing, but looking into digital zoom in video mode, it seems the resolution isn't as good as running fast frames at 5X in BYE. I just wondered if APT has the 5X option as well as BYE. Some people prefer APT and I just wanted to compare them before I make a choice!

Sure, here you go:

I'm pleased with it (my first try at Mars and planetary imaging with a DSLR) but I'd like to have another go at processing it, one version is a little harsh and the other a little soft. With APT I could record at about 13fps which isn't ideal for planetary but isn't bad, I'm not sure if the bottleneck is my camera, the USB connection or my laptop.

Thanks Knight. Great images! I'm all for APT now, after some research. It's a very busy screen though, which is daunting, and I wish they gave the option for white rather than red, as my old eyes don't work well with red. I find I don't need to be that dark adapted for AP.

A problem with APT is that it takes planetary in .mov which you then have to convert to .AVI for R6. BYE takes the video direct as AVI. That might be a consideration.

I noticed that you could download a free version of APT without all the functionality of the purchase version so I did. I thought that I would try the collimation assist before going back to BYE. Not sure how useful that's going to be though.

I looked around APT and was struck by how busy it was compared to BYE - think I'll stick to BYE for imaging.

Peter

A problem with APT is that it takes planetary in .mov which you then have to convert to .AVI for R6. BYE takes the video direct as AVI. That might be a consideration.

I noticed that you could download a free version of APT without all the functionality of the purchase version so I did. I thought that I would try the collimation assist before going back to BYE. Not sure how useful that's going to be though.

I looked around APT and was struck by how busy it was compared to BYE - think I'll stick to BYE for imaging.

Peter

If you run into the .mov problem just use PIPP (free download) to convert your best frames to .avi.

Thanks Chris. I'm still unsure of the whole thing, but looking into digital zoom in video mode, it seems the resolution isn't as good as running fast frames at 5X in BYE. I just wondered if APT has the 5X option as well as BYE. Some people prefer APT and I just wanted to compare them before I make a choice!

Ok.  Keep posting your progress please as I have put off BYEOS or APT until now as I can use all the on camera modes with EOS Utils.  With digital zoom switched on on the 600D it runs at 24fps.  Movie crop mode on my 60D gives me 60fps and 7x digital zoom automatically.  Here is my Mars with the 60D, first ever mars with this camera:

post-35542-0-47674500-1399461047.jpg

Thanks guys.

Chris, that's a lovely shot. I don't have crop mode on my 600D though. I'll buy APT and have a go at movie mode with digital zoom and the APT method and compare. I'll certatinly let you know how I get on - weather willing!

Thanks Knight. Great images! I'm all for APT now, after some research. It's a very busy screen though, which is daunting, and I wish they gave the option for white rather than red, as my old eyes don't work well with red. I find I don't need to be that dark adapted for AP.

It's been a year or so since I last used APT but IIRC the paid version of APT gives you three or four colour themes you can apply to the interface. Actually, found it now, see here under User Interface for screen shots: http://www.ideiki.com/astro/Features.aspx

Yes, it's busy and you have to ensure the computer you use it on can fit it all on the display, e.g. some netbooks struggled with fitting it all in (but that's true of most software actually).

Cheers

Ian

Ivo, do you know why I'm getting this clustering of overlapping images on the top left-hand corner?

post-1704-0-46651600-1400012680_thumb.jp

EDIT: plus I've got the little FPS window floating over all the programmes I open!

post-1704-0-50509400-1400013420.jpg

Also, I'm on Manual, I've set the exposure at 1/320 (just as a start) ISO 800. How do I choose a frame rate? Or is that set? Will the camera automatically shoot at a fast frame rate?

How do I set the number of frames? Or do I just stop the camera when I reach the required amount?!

Sorry if I'm being thick! :o

WOW! Very strange image!!! Is this happens all the time? What is the operating system and the laptop? Could it be the video driver? Any utility that plays with the display? Sorry for the questions but it is happening for first time, and I don't have idea yet :(

As for the other question. The frame-rate is limited by the camera and by the power of the laptop.  To get the maximum FPS after you focus and frame, make the APT's window as smaller as possible :)

Thanks Ivo. It's a run-down old laptop so struggles with most things! It runs on Vista so not too old an operating system. The problem cleared sometimes when I switched to another programme and came back to APT. But when I resized APT to get it to fit the screen properly, the problem wouldn't go. I'm not technical enough to answer your question about the video driver and utilities! I'll have another go tonight with just APT running so there's no chance that other programmes are upsetting it. It'll be interesting to see what happens with PHD. I'll have a fiddle and let you know.

Could you try to maximize the window when this happens to see if there is difference? You are not using program for remote desktop or such that makes the desktop bigger, right? Also if you can connect the laptop to internet check if the latest Vista updates are installed.

Thanks Ivo. I'll try that tonight when I get home from work. I'm not using any remote desktop programme. Would't know what that was if it hit me in the face! I'll update the latest Vista updates as you suggest.

Hi Ivo. The updates updated automatically and things seem to be OK with APT. But I still can't figure out how to set APT to do video/FPS! It just does one shot. I know I'm a klutz, so bear with me. Camera's on Manual as I've been advised.

Good news :) We have fixed the problem!

As for the planetary imaging, here are some steps:

1. Click on Live View button

2. Center the planed to get best image

3. Click on the planet and then on Zoom + to get x5

4. If you need lower the ISO to and the exposure to get sharp image

5. If there is need tune the focus

6. From Tools tab click on Planetary

7. Enter the number of frames and click Start :)

Archived