NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thoughts on sticking a lens...

I dont trust my Nifty Fifty. The focus wheel is far to sensitive and easily slips during imaging.

This is a great little lens for widefields and i want to get more use out of it. So i have been thinking i may set up tonight, use Backyard EOSs FWHM function to get the lens in perfect focus and then put a drop or two of some super glue on the focusing ring. Has anybody done this or am i the only crazy guy on here?

I have very limited knowledge on how lens work so if anyone can think of a good reason not to do this then speak now or forever hold your peace :) i dont use it for anything other than Astro work which always requires the same focus sooooo....

I know right! haha i did that with my 18-55 but wasnt too keen.

My thoughts are if i have no use for any focus other than infinity then i may as well make it as easy as possible and have it fixed. I also plan on using my newly purchased dew heater on the lens which would reek havon on focus during imaging if it wasnt fixed.

This is spooky!!!

I thought i'd done some lovely images of deneb and adjacent milky way and gas clouds the other night with my nifty fifty.... The lax focus ring moved and they were all out of focus.

I too have been thinking about backyard eos, but i wanted something which could alter the focus. It aeems there is some software which allows you to control the focus from the laptop, but i'm not sure if it allows it to maintain focus at the same point for several hours.

Superglue is a bit drastic, especially if you ever need to adjust the focus ever so slightly when looking through more or less atmsphere or under different wether conditions.

James

The focus point changes as the temperature drops / rises, it may only be a slight difference but you'd kick yourself if it was slightly out of focus after applying the super glue.

What about some thing less permanent - a small piece of blue tack pushed softly into place each time you get focus right.

Or a small piece of insulation tape, that will leave less potential residue.

Cheers

Ant

Thanks guys, maybe i'll hold off on the superglue! 

The weather conditions aspect was the main reason i posted this really, i wasnt sure if the focus point would change during different conditions. But after thinking about it, it makes sense.

I've tried tape before but didnt have any luck. I'll attempt with some fresh blue tack. 

I too have been thinking about backyard eos, but i wanted something which could alter the focus. It aeems there is some software which allows you to control the focus from the laptop, but i'm not sure if it allows it to maintain focus at the same point for several hours.

James

I love Backyard EOS, my trial is about to run out i i will be making a full purchase asap. Not sure about autofocusing from a laptop, only some lens' may be able to do it. I think Phychobilly has had experience with such a program though!

if masking tape and blutack doesnt work - doesnt stick well in the cold and when getting damp - try using a 1cm wide rubber band. cost pennies, never runs out, leave it permanently on your lense and wont leave any marks or residue in case you ever come to sell it.

if masking tape and blutack doesnt work - doesnt stick well in the cold and when getting damp - try using a 1cm wide rubber band. cost pennies, never runs out, leave it permanently on your lense and wont leave any marks or residue in case you ever come to sell it.

Thats actually a pretty awesome idea, cheers!

Yes, i own the larger size for my EF200L. Great little contraption, feel like i cant image without it now! 

I would order another one right now if i didnt have a long list of more important equipment to save for. They weren't kidding when they said astrophotography is a black hole you endlessly throw money into! 

Archived