Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ICs 405 & 410 with 200mm lens in Ha

Dave Smith

Back in September I bought a Geoptik T2 to Canon adapter and last night was the first opportunity to try it out.

This 25 x 10 min subs at f2.8 fl200mm with an Atik 460EX and 7nm Ha filter. I thought I would use the 7nm filter rather than the 3nm filter as I don't really want to keep taking it out of the filter wheel and risk damaging it.

IC405-IC410-02.jpg

Any comments/criticisms very welcome. Thanks for looking.

Dave

Gosh, what a beautiful image, Dave. :laugh:

Thanks Luke.

I would think that something is not squared up perfectly is what would cause that but not sure.  But that little trick worked. The stars look a lot better. Not perfect but much less noticable.

I think you are right. Chris on UKAI tested it with CCD inspector which showed that to be the case. Not a lot I can do about that except to make sure the lens is very tight on the Geoptik adapter. There is no room for a field flattener.

Dave

Excellent Dave , full of detail. ...  seems that using camera lens is back in fashion...

I have also done the same thing, I just bought a 200 f/2.8 L and the 400 f/5.6 L , both now have step down ring attached.

Both purchased second hand for the price of a new Skywatcher ED80 triplet.. bonus I can use them during the daytime for photography.. :)

Excellent Dave , full of detail. ...  seems that using camera lens is back in fashion...

I have also done the same thing, I just bought a 200 f/2.8 L and the 400 f/5.6 L , both now have step down ring attached.

Both purchased second hand for the price of a new Skywatcher ED80 triplet.. bonus I can use them during the daytime for photography.. :)

Thanks Guy. Now that is a good idea - I think I may have some step down rings somewhere :wink:

Really nice, I love the black a nod white images.

Thanks Twintin.

Dave

That's really great, Dave. You've got an almost identical field to the one I had in the 11 meg/Tak106... http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-4x33zgR/0/X3/Flaming%20Star%20Ha%20Web-X3.jpg ...for rather less expense!!

I know this field pretty well having used both 3 and 7 Nm filters on it and I don't think you're missing anything. This is lovely and deep and the processing is bang on, with the faint stuff pulled out but no saturation at the top.

Could you tell me about focus magic? I'm helping a guest who's plagued with curvature in the corners with his setup and your fix clearly worked. 

Olly

Thanks Olly and Mark. I will give an explanation in a separate thread later this morning (I hope) and link to it from here.

Dave

I've found it on the net, Dave, and downloaded a trial. Thanks for the tip off. I'd never heard of it.

Olly

Archived