SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help! eyepiece came apart

rob1

ok my 32mm skywatcher panaview eyepiece came apart i accidentally unscrewed the wrong bit and the elements and spaces came out theres 5 elements and 3 spaces, nothings damaged i just have no idea what order it goes back in!!! can anyone help me?

The CN one say 2 lens, rob seems to have 5.

Also the CN one sounds wrong, they may have them in the right order but not sure about the spacer going in first. Seems pointless you would make the housing such that that spacer was not required = less bits = less cost.

Cannot see anywhere that gives the construction of the panaview.

Would suggest a post on CN and ask if BillP has any ideas.

Skywatcher do not have a schematic on their site, actually Skywatcher have few eyepieces on their site.

The CN one say 2 lens, rob seems to have 5.

Also the CN one sounds wrong, they may have them in the right order but not sure about the spacer going in first. Seems pointless you would make the housing such that that spacer was not required = less bits = less cost.

Cannot see anywhere that gives the construction of the panaview.

Would suggest a post on CN and ask if BillP has any ideas.

Skywatcher do not have a schematic on their site, actually Skywatcher have few eyepieces on their site.

it is the same type of  eyepiece but if you look at the attachment  you will see there are still 3 pieces that didn't come out I agree its not perfect but I figured it may be some help and the cn poster seemed pleased with the results so they must have got something right

I reckon most of the 2" super wide eyepieces are of more or less the same optical layout.  I'll have a scout around the net and see if I can find a diagram of something similar to the Panaview.

Found reference  to BillP's book and there is download of the index, no specific mention of the SW Panaview, so I guess that it exists under another named design. Just no idea what. 5 elements is not uncommon.

Hoping that someone may have a diagram of the eyepiece construction.

Would suggest a good search of assorted eyepieces of similar number of elements and FoV and maybe a diagram will turn up.

Alternative is ask FLO or CVL they may have some diagrams, or as said CN  and BillP.

This one is the William Optics SWAN 33mm - it's spec is very similar to the Panaview 32mm and the optical components seem to match quite well with the ones in your photo (the cemented doublet is the 2nd one down from the top):

post-118-0-37333400-1381775236.jpg

This one is the William Optics SWAN 33mm - it's spec is very similar to the Panaview 32mm and the optical components seem to match quite well with the ones in your photo (the cemented doublet is the 2nd one down from the top):

John that is a great  "get me out of a fix image"  :laugh:

Hi.  John's diagram looks to be a good one for figuring out yours.  I am also guessing that the arrangement sould be 1-2-1-1 from eye lens to field lens.  The 1-2-1 arrangement is common enough as a Konig derivative, and the last element can be a negative singlet or a negative doublet-Smyth/Barlow arrangement.  The Celestron X-Cel LX is the same, although they use a doublet instead of that big negative singlet I see in your pic.  Attached is the pic of the X-Cel I took apart for servicing. 

post-31982-0-88718300-1381926571_thumb.j

Hi. John's diagram looks to be a good one for figuring out yours. I am also guessing that the arrangement sould be 1-2-1-1 from eye lens to field lens. The 1-2-1 arrangement is common enough as a Konig derivative, and the last element can be a negative singlet or a negative doublet-Smyth/Barlow arrangement.

Thinking aloud, would the elements need to be, apart from in the right order and the right way round, orientated in the correct way to one another?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If by "oriented in the correct way to one another" you mean rotated so specific side positions are aligned, then the answer is no.  You need to have the lens surfaces pointed in the right directions either towards the eye or field, and of course the spacers need to be between the proper elements, and all of them in the correct sequence. 

I thought the Panviews are an Erfle?

From memory (I used to take mine apart as it was somewhat dust prone) the cemented doublet is the objective lens and drops in so you are looking at the flat side when in use.

The field lens is the other doublet and comprises the concave lens, plus the convex lens that fits it most closely That fits into the EP at the bottom with the flat side out again, BUT you insert the smallest spacer between the two lenses first.

The bit I can't remember is exactly how the middle single element fits, but I do seem to recall that the larger of the two remaining spacers sits on the side of the singlet that is most convex - Bigger bulge = Bigger spacer. So, put it all in and if it doesn't look right, take it out, turn it and the two spacers through 180deg and try it the other way.

What I would suggest is that you assemble the lenses in a tower on cloth and slide the barrel down over the stacked lenses. They're quite a snug fit and will jam a odd angles if you try pushing them in on it's side. Give it a gentle shake to settle them and then screw in the bottom of the barrel just enough to stop the lenses rattling and then back it off a fraction of a turn to prevent pinching.

Russell

• 1 year later...

For the record the William Optics is correct, eyepice restored to as new .

A star test will quickly identify the correct arrangement.  There will only be one arrangement that will be sharp.  An artificial star or distant spire might be a good daytime alternative.

If anyone finds themselves in the same fine fine as was the motive for this thread, this may be on help:

https://vk.com/doc99001448_296449941?hash=b8f53caff44d8a9b32&dl=017e894df705f5b3d9

And it looks like what's after my name.

Clear & Confused Skies?

See what happens to my writing when I try to multitask? :p:grin::p

Lordy!

Dave

Archived