Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Very simple rain sensor required - Any pointers?

swag72

I am after a rain sensor, after the kit getting caught in the rain! On imaging nights I sleep with the window open to listen out for rain, but my fridge sounds very like rain and so I end up staying awake for hours just listening. So I want a rain sensor, but ................ only a simple one that links to some kind of alarm that I can put by the side of my bed. Then I can use my legs and go up to the obs and close it myself!

All the ones I've looked at, and that's many of them, they do wonderful things connected to the PC, close a roof, make a cup of tea etc.

Can anyone point me towards a simple, non PC reliant model?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you an iOS phone or device that you could keep by your bed. If so there's a rain alarm app that sends you push notifications when rain approaches your area. I haven't got it so no idea how good it is but its free.

Have you an iOS phone or device that you could keep by your bed. If so there's a rain alarm app that sends you push notifications when rain approaches your area. I haven't got it so no idea how good it is but its free.

that sounds interesting. Will look into that.

This link might be worth reading if you have maxim. I know that it is not as per your original post (ie non pc reliant) but it is less costly to implement that a cloud sensor.

http://deepspaceplace.com/maximdlalarm.php

Some good ideas here - Especially liking the Maplins one. I can't help thinking that with the weather station ones they will take some rain in the pot before any thing is triggered. I need something to work when there's a few drops of rain.

I don't want anything Arduino, as I want to bypass the PC and link to an alarm that I can put by my bed. At the moment the smart phone doesn't work as I don't have one!!

@Ibbo - I like the look of that - I'll drop them a line!

Olly, thank you for the offer of your bald head!!! However high the daily rates, it would be fun to try it for just one night :smiley:

We have one of these outside the dome for rain/cloud sensing, and it's been doing a very good job for the past two years. Might be a bit more than you want to pay, but we have had zero problems with it in about 2 years of operation;

http://www.auroraeurotech.com/CloudSensor.php

I'm sure they used to offer an option to have a stand-alone plug in rain/cloud/clear alarm system (i.e. computer independant) -- but now I can't see it on their website. Perhaps worth an email though??

We have one of these outside the dome for rain/cloud sensing, and it's been doing a very good job for the past two years. Might be a bit more than you want to pay, but we have had zero problems with it in about 2 years of operation;

http://www.auroraeur...CloudSensor.php

I'm sure they used to offer an option to have a stand-alone plug in rain/cloud/clear alarm system (i.e. computer independant) -- but now I can't see it on their website. Perhaps worth an email though??

Actually, the one you have listed doesn't need a PC to operate. I have used my Aurora cloud sensor stand-alone and just used a small buzzer circuit on the "closed circuit" alarm wires. A unit like the one on Ebay that ibbo posted would probably be your best bet.

I heard that a thermometer would help with cloud cover

ie clear sky is colder but need to find something that can be read from inside and that is fairly directional

e tied pointing one of these at the sky and it is cold even in the day

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633726-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B000LFTEC4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_diy_3

IIRC it gave us -30 when clear

can anybody confirm

any ideas how it could be adapted???

Steve

It amazes me that something as simple as a rain alert/alarm is almost impossible to find that doesn't require an Arduino, Raspberry Pi, smart phone or PC to operate (or all of them). What is this world coming to?

If a paper clip was to be invented these days, it would have 12 moving parts, have WiFi connectivity and need charging each day.

Are you handy with a soldering iron :grin:

Actually, the one you have listed doesn't need a PC to operate. I have used my Aurora cloud sensor stand-alone and just used a small buzzer circuit on the "closed circuit" alarm wires. A unit like the one on Ebay that ibbo posted would probably be your best bet.

Yes, it has the alarm/relay lines coming off of it, but they are just bare wires. Relatively easy to wire these into an alarm I'm sure, but depends how much cobbling together you're happy to do. I'm sure they used to have a ready made system which was basically a plug-in wireless transmitter/receiver alarm... No doubt a relatively large up front cost, but requires all the tool and time investment of opening a box...

You can get them with a 20m+ cable, so if Sara is relatively local to outside and can run a cable, it would be trivial to wire up a buzzer as you suggest...

I heard that a thermometer would help with cloud cover

ie clear sky is colder but need to find something that can be read from inside and that is fairly directional

e tied pointing one of these at the sky and it is cold even in the day

http://www.amazon.co...d_sim_sbs_diy_3

IIRC it gave us -30 when clear

can anybody confirm

any ideas how it could be adapted???

Steve

Found the SGL post on these here

Steve

Spoke with the guy from the ebay link and he was very helpful.

Ordered a rain sensor http://www.ebay.co.u...d=141057837419 and also with this they have a 12V PSU. They are kindly going to draw me a diagram and stick it in the post with the order, They were very helpful indeed.

I've ordered a 12v buzzer from Maplin and a flex switch.

This should make a very simple rain sensor, that will buzz when it rains and then I can switch it off until I next need it.

Thanks all - Couldn't have done it without you!!

Archived