Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PHD2 Beta

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Ewan

Ewan

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,422 posts
I changed my min to 0.05 seemed good to go.

One thing bugged me though was i didnt stop guiding slewed from m57 to m27 & guide cam picture went from a clean dark background with bright stars to a very grainy grey picture, nof sure if thats cable or software related.

7 steps W & E & 13 N & S, my calibration steps was set to 2500 as my guider has a 225mm Fl.

Altair Astro 80mm Super ED Triplet, AZ EQ6, C8 SCT-XLT, ATIK 314L+, DMK21AU618, 600D Un Mod, 18-55mm - 55-250mm, Canon 100mm USM, Asahi f2 50mm, Super Takumar 55mm f1.8, 20 x 80 Celestron Binos, BAADER LRGB & NB CCD 1.25" FILTERS, UHC/S, Opticstar MFW, Antares 3x Barlow, Celestron 6.3 FR, 2" WA EP ERFLE 38mm / 70° + 2" Diagnol, Ep's from 25mm - 6mm, Satelite Pro laptop Win 7 Ultimate

AndyUK

AndyUK

Brown Dwarf

• Moderators
  • 2,773 posts
When I used a finderguider (9x50) I too used 0.05 min motion, with calibration steps set to 4000, although if the DSO was further away from Polaris, I could reduce that to about 2500

One thing bugged me though was i didnt stop guiding slewed from m57 to m27 & guide cam picture went from a clean dark background with bright stars to a very grainy grey picture, nof sure if thats cable or software related.

Ewan - Assuming we're now talking about "original" PHD (which is a little off-topic from the OP - My apologies!), I had that problem too, even when I moved to OAG - The background, instead of being nice and dark with bright stars, came up as fairly light grey, making guidestar selection quite tricky (using 3s exposures and a Lodestar). I tried playing with the gamma slider at the bottom of the screen, but it didn't seem to make that much difference.

I also tried replacing the cable (to no avail) and then uninstalled and reinstalled, which temporarily sorted it out, but then it went back to grey again. In frustration I switched to Maxim (which is probably a good thing for me as I now use one application for both capture and guiding), but even so I'd love to know if someone else has found the reason why PHD does this - It's almost as if it's doing an (unwanted) autostretch(?)

malc-c

malc-c

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,869 posts

7 steps W & E & 13 N & S, my calibration steps was set to 2500 as my guider has a 225mm Fl.

Blimey, using the original PHD my calibration step was 1750 and that was with an ST80 with a 400mm FL. I tried up to 2200 with PHD2 and it still ran 30- 40 calibration steps before starting to guide...

I like the new layout, and target display, but at the moment IMO it's still a beta product and they have a lot of bugs to iron out.
Regards

Malcolm

Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Goto + Skywatcher 200P OTA
Skywatcher ST80 Guidescope
Skywatcher EQ5 Pro Goto - Celestron 127 Mak OTA
QH5Y Guide Camera, Canon 400D, Several Modded SPC880 Webcam, NexImage Webcam.

Housed in ROR observatory http://stargazerslou...d-underway.html
Blog and my hobby website http://micro-heli.co.uk/

malc-c

malc-c

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,869 posts
OK now my scope is performing well optically since fitting the new OO secondary, time to sort out the mount. First thing was to redo PA as the last time I checked was around a year ago and no doubt things could of slipped or the mount knocked since then. It wasn't far out but I reset it using EQMOD's PA tool anyway. So then onto some PEC training... The later versions of EQMOD have an auto pec tool which records the guiding errors on the fly and generates a PEC curve at the end of the run. I'm still amazed at how much Chris and his friends at EQMOD have developed this wonderful app !

Anyway, whilst its running I've used PHDLab to monitor the progress of run, and with the QHY5 running through the 200P the RMS error for RA is just 0.74 arcseconds, with DEC being slightly higher at 0.76 arcseconds and that is before any applicaton of PEC

This by the way is using PHD1 to guide - PHD2 failed even on a bright star to calibrate... PHD1 too around 8 steps in NSEW :)

Attached Thumbnails

• guide.png

Regards

Malcolm

stargazerslivingroom

stargazerslivingroom

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 558 posts

This by the way is using PHD1 to guide - PHD2 failed even on a bright star to calibrate... PHD1 too around 8 steps in NSEW :)

What has changed to cause this failure, I wonder?

Steve

Ewan

Ewan

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,422 posts
Well just setting phd2 up ready for a few runs, 8 steps now which im happy with.

Not sure what the grainy picture problem is/was but i just have to remeber stop guiding then slew & all is fine.

Seeing not to good but ok up near Vega thankfully

Altair Astro 80mm Super ED Triplet, AZ EQ6, C8 SCT-XLT, ATIK 314L+, DMK21AU618, 600D Un Mod, 18-55mm - 55-250mm, Canon 100mm USM, Asahi f2 50mm, Super Takumar 55mm f1.8, 20 x 80 Celestron Binos, BAADER LRGB & NB CCD 1.25" FILTERS, UHC/S, Opticstar MFW, Antares 3x Barlow, Celestron 6.3 FR, 2" WA EP ERFLE 38mm / 70° + 2" Diagnol, Ep's from 25mm - 6mm, Satelite Pro laptop Win 7 Ultimate

malc-c

malc-c

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,869 posts
Sorry to say that I'm not a convert to PHD2, I've been running PHD1 now for an hour taking subs of NGC 6960 and monitoring the guiding using PHDLab and I've been getting some of the best guiding traces I've ever had.

Attached Thumbnails

• scn4.png
  • scn5.png

Edited by malc-c, 06 September 2013 - 10:35 PM.

Regards

Malcolm

r3i

r3i

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,563 posts

Sorry to say that I'm not a convert to PHD2, I've been running PHD1 now for an hour taking subs of NGC 6960 and monitoring the guiding using PHDLab and I've been getting some of the best guiding traces I've ever had.

I can understand the reluctance, especially when clear nights are so few and far between and we want to make as much of the opportunity as possible. However I take my hat off to those who are making the effort with PHD2 - the only way it will get better is for folks to keep using it and iron out the glitches. If nobody did this then we'd never move forward with anything. As the nights are getting darker earlier now, hopefully I can spend at least a little bit of the night to give it another go.

After seen your screenshots of PHDLab I gave that a try the other night - quite a nifty bit of software, very impressive. Do you know if it will also work with PHD2 log files?
  • SnakeyJ likes this

Mike

Scopes : Altair Astro 8" RC : SkyMax 180 : IKI 70ED F6 Mount : NEQ6 Pro + EQDIR
Cameras : QHY8L + Meade DSI1 + Orion OAG : SXV-H9 : Philips TouCam Pro 2 Software : ASCOM 6 - EQMOD - CdC - AT- PHD - Nebulosity 3 - PS CS3

malc-c

malc-c

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,869 posts
Hi Mike,

I agree with your comments, the only way to improve something is to keep using it and reporting any issues back to the developers. I have no idea why PHD2 has given me so much grief, and I might spend the next clear night playing with the settings and seeing if I can get it to work as well as PHD1. For me when using AA5 demo I liked the target method of displaying the correction plots. This now appears in PHD2 so for me PHD2 was a leap forward... until I stumbled across PHDLab, which gives a lot more data when guiding or analyzing previous guide logs. I've not tried it with PHD2 to see if it can monitor active logs live in the way PHD1 does.... maybe the next clear night I'll do some experimenting :)
Regards

Malcolm

Ewan

Ewan

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,422 posts
I have not been doing astrophotography as long as most on SGL & my kit, as i understand, is not that easy to guide with ie my SCT & a finder at 225mm FL.

I on the other hand am finsing PHD2 better, maybe it's more 'compatible' with a setup like mine & with more input options available to the user, i for one will be testing & testing some more as the results seem good so far.

r3i

r3i

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,563 posts
Just completed a two and half hour imaging session using PHD2 to guide with and it worked without any issues throughout. Guiding performance was comparable to PHD1.

I tried a calibration step size of 1500 for the OAG on the 8" RC + CCDT67 (about 1080mm focal length) - this was calibrating after just 4 steps so I need to throttle this back somewhat next time. So a good experience really, I'm pleased to say.

phd2.JPG

Mike

Scopes : Altair Astro 8" RC : SkyMax 180 : IKI 70ED F6 Mount : NEQ6 Pro + EQDIR
Cameras : QHY8L + Meade DSI1 + Orion OAG : SXV-H9 : Philips TouCam Pro 2 Software : ASCOM 6 - EQMOD - CdC - AT- PHD - Nebulosity 3 - PS CS3

Freddie

Freddie

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,656 posts
If you pop your guide scope and cam details in, you can display in arc sec which is useful. Just need to take note of the scale and units on the y axis though as arcsec can look much worse than the pixel scale used on PHD1. This is where I think some may have not been comparing like with like when comparing the PHD2 graph with that from PHD1. You can however change PHD2 back to pixels with a shift click on the Y: tab on the graph if you want.
Freddie

Planetary: CPC925GPS;DBK21/DMK21
DSO:NEQ6;MN190;OAG/Lodestar;Atik314L+ & Atik460ex;EFW2
Solar: PST;DMK21

SniffTheGlove

SniffTheGlove

Cruithne Warrior

• Advanced Members
  • 881 posts
I tried PHD2 last night..

A few of my observations that could make it easier to use.

1) Put the brain off the menu
2) Remember settings (Cam and scope) so next time you run it it auto selects these by default and save you from fiddling about (as long as the expectation is that you have your cam and scope connected to ASCOM etc)
3) Have a dropdown box of most commonly used Cam/guidescopes so the brain settings as setup as defualt. A lot of users always ask what settings do I need for x y cam and guidescope, so have these preloaded would help enormously.

I do like how we have finally integrated the windows within the software, make it easier to use especially when using it on a small screen notebook.

Sean

9657d3c8658701f14294f87a8ee0d878

Freddie

Freddie

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,656 posts
Have you put those comments onto the Yahoo group site? They would then be considered for the full release version.
Freddie

SniffTheGlove

SniffTheGlove

Cruithne Warrior

• Advanced Members
  • 881 posts

Have you put those comments onto the Yahoo group site? They would then be considered for the full release version.

I did Freddie https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/open-phd-guiding/taW9ixRtyzs

Sean

9657d3c8658701f14294f87a8ee0d878

Freddie

Freddie

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,656 posts

Updated beta 2 version now available.

• Ewan likes this
Freddie

Ewan

Ewan

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,422 posts

Cheers Freddie, cant wait to try this out on my new rig, it would appear as you enlarge your astro gear it will generate more cloud cover :sad:

Freddie

Freddie

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,656 posts

Beta 2 up and running fine

Freddie

Freddie

Freddie

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,656 posts
Worked fine as expected (until the clouds came in anyway) A couple of nice changes on the update.
Freddie

Ewan

Ewan

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,422 posts
Ive got the update but not installed yet as too busy & bad weather.

It would be good to be able to save different setup profiles for different scopes or mybe you can already but i have not seen the option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users