Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Widefield dual imaging rig

Gina

Two Atik 314L+ mono CCD cameras and two matching lenses with provision for filters make up my dual imaging rig. To start with one will have the EFW2 filter wheel and the other a filter tray. The assembly is screwed to the tube rings of a pair of ED80 scopes. As shown in the SketchUp model, two aluminium plates form the framework connected by two wooden brackets. The bottom plate is screwed onto the camera fittings on the top of the tube rings and the other takes the cameras, filters and lenses.

post-13131-0-14497400-1370803593_thumb.p post-13131-0-88790800-1370803594_thumb.p post-13131-0-25640400-1370803603_thumb.j

To be continued...

I had it all working last night including the remote focussing :) That's the good news - the bad news is that I made a mess of things :( I forgot to check the apertures hadn't changed between setting up and imaging but one had and I was rinning at full aerture of f2.8 instead of f4 resulting in star bloating. This didn't show until I stacked the images this morning. The other main mistake was that I'd used binning to get an image with short exposures for framing and forgot to set it back to unbinned. The images looked alright in FITS Liberator and again the fault didn't show until I got the stacked subs into PS for processing and found a small image! I put all this down to being tired from a busy day and being too determined to get it going for the last clear night for many days! Oh well...

Photos to follow...

Don't worry Sara, as I said I have no intention of taking either Atik camera apart. They are both working fine and there's no reason to touch them. I was debating with myself whether to put threaded holes in the top plate of the EFW2 to attach it to the widefield mounting plate. ATM I'm using a piece of wood to clamp it to the plate with a piece of thin card between FW and plate.

Here are some photos of the widefield rig as used the other night (less connections). I intend to replace the piece of wood holding the EFW2 with something better.

post-13131-0-30086600-1370951887_thumb.j post-13131-0-12065600-1370951891_thumb.j post-13131-0-07051300-1370951895_thumb.j post-13131-0-14721400-1370951899_thumb.j

I had it all working last night including the remote focussing :) That's the good news - the bad news is that I made a mess of things :( I forgot to check the apertures hadn't changed between setting up and imaging but one had and I was rinning at full aerture of f2.8 instead of f4 resulting in star bloating. This didn't show until I stacked the images this morning. The other main mistake was that I'd used binning to get an image with short exposures for framing and forgot to set it back to unbinned. The images looked alright in FITS Liberator and again the fault didn't show until I got the stacked subs into PS for processing and found a small image! I put all this down to being tired from a busy day and being too determined to get it going for the last clear night for many days! Oh well...

Photos to follow...

Really interesting project, I have empathy for your woes, having trashed several wide-field sessions I plan to adopt an 'aircraft type pre-flight check-list' approach.

Really interesting project, I have empathy for your woes, having trashed several wide-field sessions I plan to adopt an 'aircraft type pre-flight check-list' approach.

Thank you Tony :) Sounds a good idea. You sound better organised than me :D With two cameras to set up it certainly takes more attention to detail. This imaging lark certainly would seem to need a check-list :D

A very neat setup, Gina. Twice the photons .... twice the fun!

Adrian

Thank you Adrian :) Twice as many things to go wrong - well almost :D

Been doing more work on it today. I've replaced the narrow piece of wood holding the EFW2 with a piece of plywood and 4 bolts instead of 2 and with holes cut out for the camera and the drive motor. Previous imaging session showed a framing difference in the short axis which I believe to be due to the EFW2 not being held perfectly flat against the mounting plate. I'll see how it performs next time and if necessary, I'll see if I can devise an adjustment. I've ordered some shorter bolts and some wing nuts to replace the nuts and bolts I'm using at present.

I'll take and post more photos tomorrow.

This sounds fun. I would love another canon 200L and a second 383L. Or how about three of each lol. You would be able to take an awesome image each clear night.

This sounds fun. I would love another canon 200L and a second 383L. Or how about three of each lol. You would be able to take an awesome image each clear night.

Yes, three of each is something I have in mind for the future - mucho saving needed first though :D I will need a third Atik 314L+ and another 105mm lens - I have 3 200mm lenses though only one is the higher quality SMC Takumar. Then another ED80. Once the Esprit 80ED becomes available second hand Evostar ED80s will be readily available I imagine.

Looking good Gina, i like the remote focussing setup :). Will you need some dew prevention too or are the dew shields enough.

Looking fwd to seeing some images

Keith

Thank you :) So far the 105mm lens hasn't needed a dew heater but the 200mm ones do and I've already done 2 of them. I'm quite expecting the 105mm lenses to need dew heaters in the winter and I'll add those later.

Here are a couple of photos of the widefield dual imaging rig showing the work I did yesterday. Two main things :-

1. Larger fastening (plywood) for EFW2 onto the plate with square holes for the coach bolts
  2. Rearranged and tidied up the focus and dew heater control box and screwed it to the mounting panel

post-13131-0-36422100-1371045875_thumb.j post-13131-0-59715300-1371045879_thumb.j

Archived