Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY Alt-Az mount: progress and sterner tests with APM 80mm and C8

Yesterday I finished oiling the wood of the alt-az mount I was building, and with perfect timing the Teflon I ordered arrived (quick service from TS). I cut two 98mm diameter disks with 10mm centre holes from them and reassembled the mount with the new Teflon disks for added smoothness. After getting the tension on the axles right (no play, but smooth action), I had a go at observing Jupiter with it, using my APM80mm. Pushing magnification to 137x showed good stability, and smooth motion on both axles. The locking mechanism I made doubles perfectly as tension adjustment on the altitude axle. Really pleased, damping times were a bit longer than I guestimated before, but they damp out quickly, and do not hinder observations, even at 137x. I will write a fuller first-light report later (including a report on the 2" Amici prism).

When I got the whole set-up back inside, I could not resist experimenting a bit, and attached my C8 OTA to it. It passed the test with flying colours. Yes there is some vibration, but hey, this is a modded EQ1 tripod. Motion was smooth, despite the fact that the mount was not quite balanced. I did not use the alternate azimuth axis position intended for proper balance with the C8. At the moment, making such a switch means taking azimuth axle housing of the mount apart (as does tension adjustment). I intend to change this so tension adjustment and switching the holes can be done more easily. I am also working on an adapter to attach it to an altogether more robust Berlebach photo tripod, which is rock solid (it held my old 6" F/8 Newt with ease).

post-5655-0-82240000-1367736687_thumb.jp

Thanks guys. Glad you like it

Looks very neat. You've not exactly got a huge amount of EQ1 left there by the looks of it :)

James

Not very much indeed. There is the metal top bit of the tripod (the one to which the legs attach) and the screw with the knurled knob is also an EQ1 remnant, but that's it. The latter part I could make myself, using wood and a screw, in the same fashion as the one below (that is an M10, M6 would be a bit more fiddly). The other component would be very hard to make out of wood (though I am tempted)

post-18313-133877755235_thumb.jpg

Archived