NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Handle for aperture end of newt

Stargazer_00

So I'm looking for a suitable 'handle' to fix to both my newts for steering them.

I currently hook my fingers around the aperture end and it occured to me last night that there is a slim chance of my hand going from pocket to aperture and deposting lint or some other passenger of the pocket onto the primary mirror if i wasnt lucky. It's just waiting to happen.

I'm looking for something that fix to the underside of the scope that I can grip with my whole hand, fixes to the tube without drilling and doesn't weight much - lighter the better.

Any suggestions?

I guess a small hole isn't the end of the world, and a nicely made wooden handle would look nice and not get too cold. I could use a nice softwood to keep the weight down.

I've seen those no nails double sided sticky pads, maybe i'll give them a run for their money first to see how adhesive they actually are!

Yes, I'd be tempted to try a smallish wooden cabinet handle held on using a sticky foam pad first. If that comes off then perhaps drilling the tube is required.

The flextube OTAs come with plastic knobs already attached, which is very useful.

James

I used a small plastic coated draw handle for the underside of my dob. I had a round knob on there first, but found that I couldn't get a decent grip with woolly gloves. With this bar shape, I can hook the tip of my finger through it and it feels much more secure.

med_gallery_5915_1650_73073.jpg

learn the terminology mate! it's a dob knob. :grin:

I have used several things in the past but always drill a hole (or use a hole drilled in the OTA previously by other owners.

Plastic furniture feet, drawer handles etc. I prefer small ceramic shiny black ones myself if I can get them but anything will do really.

I currently hook my fingers around the aperture end and it occured to me last night that there is a slim chance of my hand going from pocket to aperture and deposting lint or some other passenger of the pocket onto the primary mirror if i wasnt lucky. It's just waiting to happen.

I cant see a bit of lint falling on the primary as being a problem.

Another idea i am thinking is a couple of bits of double sided velcro on the OTA and then a length of nylon strap with another couple of bits of double sided velcro on each end of nylon strop.........with enough lenght to allow you just to to use with a couple of fingers as a handle to push pull the Dob.

Archived