Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope won't focus or defocus at all?

I think the issue MAY be that the big silver screw on the underneath of the focuser is not engaging the teeth of the focuser. There is another hole next to it, if you take the screw out of the hole it is in and place it in the other hole to the left, it should engage the teeth on the focuser.

I'm not saying it will, but i've heard of this before with scopes and suggested the same thing and it seems to work.

Give it a try.

The focuser should not turn forever.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Try loosening the silver screw , the one facing the camera between the two wheels , if this is locked the wheels will 'turn forever' to no effect.

That's another possible fix. I didnt think of something so simple. Not too loose though or the focuser will again just turn forever.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Looks like a crayford rather than a rack and pinion... So I woukd go with Steve's suggestion...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk HD

I agree. it looks to me like a crayford . I just googled "crayford" and they do operate mechanically differently to rack and pinion. Essentially the same solution though.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

• 3 years later...
On 18/02/2013 at 19:06, Steve Ward said:

There's a silver thumbscrew on the focuser that locks the focus position ,

The focuser wheels will still rotate with the lock done up but the tube will not move .

Thanks !

• 2 years later...
On 18/02/2013 at 20:25, Steep said:

I've had the same problem a couple of times, I sometimes forget that I've tightened the screw to keep focus and wonder why I can't adjust it again.

Quoted for agreement. Same thing happened to me with my XT8 two days ago...I was scratching my head till i noticed that screw. 

Cheers